Cheers, Dima!

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Cheers, Dima!

Post by mikewalsh »

@dimkr :-

Well, I thought it was high time I took a look at this, mate. I'm very pleasantly surprised; you've excelled yourself. Nice one!

Almost without exception, every single one of the scores of 'portable' apps I've packaged up for the community is working perfectly. That has to be the quickest I've ever 'populated' a Puppy in my entire time at the 'kennels'.....

And some things have surprised me. Take Lightworks, for instance. It requires the Nvidia runtime libraries if you have an Nvida card. Normally, this requires that you have the official drivers installed.......but here, the addition of libCg and libCggl have Lightworks 'playing nice' with the nouveau driver (which is a 'first' for me).

I can't help wondering if this has anything to do with the recently-released code - which Nvidia 'open-sourced' a few months ago - finally filtering down into the kernel. It would seem a plausible explanation.

And I'm sure I remember Synaptic as being a darned sight crankier a decade ago....... :o

Anyway; full marks. And VERY well done.

Mike. :thumbup:

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

dimkr

Re: Cheers, Dima!

Post by dimkr »

Wait until you discover apt update && apt install nvidia-driver ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

dimkr wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:14 pm

Wait until you discover apt update && apt install nvidia-driver ;)

Heh. Well, I wish I could have agreed with you, and gone "Yay! It works.....", but.....no cigar, I'm afraid.

The installer correctly identified my GT710 as being unsupported by the current, up-to-date driver. However, the alternative 'legacy' driver it proffered was for the 'Tesla' architecture.....and this GPU is using the previous-gen 'Kepler' architecture. I didn't twig that until after I'd said 'Yes, go ahead and install it'. Naturally, even after the necessary re-boot to unload the 'nouveau' driver, it had completely banjaxxed the Xorg files, so no display. Good job I was trying this out on a 'cloned' copy.

Frankly, since everything that usually needs the official drivers seems to be 'playing nice' with the in-kernel 'nouveau', I see no advantage to arsing about with the official one.

-----------------------------------

The usual fly in the ointment, Google Earth, won't run, it's true.....but this time, it's nothing to do with the usual culprit, the graphics driver. This time round, it's failing on the fact that the required gstreamer dependencies in Bookworm are simply too new for it. And the older versions it's asking for just aren't there.

This is the current, up-to-date official build of Google Earth straight from their own repos. Strangely, it runs fine in my nearly 10-yr old, bastardized, Tahr64 'Frankenpuppy'......yet the newest, up-to-date stable Debian can't handle it. Which I find very strange! :?

(A demonstration, perhaps, that their policy of compiling their stuff against much older build-environments - to make it usable by as many folks as possible - doesn't always work out.)

Never mind. Can't win 'em all. You've still made a brilliant job of this. Can't fault you for that. I can live with the online version of Google Earth, even though it runs about like a snail crawling through cold molasses. That's Google's fault; they've assumed that everybody these days is running top-of-the-line, ultra-powerful & hugely expensive CPUs/GPUs with at least a million cores and every streaming SIMD instruction you can think of. Which perhaps describes maybe 0.01 % of the global population.....

(*shrug...*) :roll:

Mike. ;)

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:59 pm

I see no advantage to arsing about with the official one.

I don't have any NVIDIA GPUs, but from what I understand, nouveau isn't amazing in terms of stability, performance, power consumption and hardware support. Basically, it's inferior in every parameter one should care about :)

No matter if it's a new GPU or an old one, you're probably better off using the proprietary driver, no matter if it's from a legacy series or not.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Oh, I couldn't agree more. In so many respects, the 'official' drivers ARE superior to 'nouveau'.

Dima, am I right in assuming that shinobar's GetNvidia won't work here in Vanilla DPup? I'm guessing that the recent 'usrmerge' machinations will have rendered all the $PATHs invalid....

This is what I've used for installing the official drivers in all my other Pups. If this IS the case, how would you suggest I go about installing the correct driver for this GPU? I've already got the newest .run file from Nvidia that supports this card, but if GetNvidia won't work, what's the accepted procedure for 'doing-it-yourself' in this Puppy?

Mike. ;)

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

The Debian package, and install it using apt. That's the version and the installation procedure compatible with the kernel version and userspace of this Debian version. Anything else, which makes assumptions that might be true only in some old Puppy releases, is less likely to work.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Ah, well, looks like I'm stuck with nouveau, then. The 'current' driver from the repos no longer supports a GPU of my vintage, and the alternative 'legacy' driver is for the wrong architecture.

I refuse to buy a new GPU just to get a supported driver!

Mike. :(

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

You can try the 9.3.x series, it uses
an older Debian 11 base and still maintained. It should have older drivers.

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”