How to remove games that aren't in 'Remove built-in packages?' (Solved)

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

bilou

How to remove games that aren't in 'Remove built-in packages?' (Solved)

Post by bilou »

Hello all
I have a small problem with fossa9.6 some games do not appear in Remove builting packages
Hexalate, gplanatary, Iqpuzzle.
An example with Hexalate, where can I find this package? Thank you for your help

Last edited by bilou on Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeslr

Re: How to remove games that aren't in 'Remove built-in packages?'

Post by mikeslr »

Sorry, I don't have a Fossapup64_9.5 that I haven't substantially modified. But based on my sometimes flaky memory, 666philb located many applications in (I believe) adrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs (it might have been ydrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs) which were not essential to getting to desktop; and likely games were among them. [You can check by Left-Clicking adrv/ydrv to view their contents; /usr/share/applications holds desktop files used in creating menu entries].
And, as you've discovered neither Puppy Package Manager>Uninstall nor Remove Builtins will remove them.
You have several choices. The one I'd recommend is to replace the original Fossapup64 with ozsouth's Fossa64-Mid v2, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 956#p94956. Doing so may take the longest. But you'll end up with an operating system which functions exactly like the original but which has many updated components and little you may not want. But you may have to install some applications you actually want.
The following choice may take less time. Mount the adrv/ydrv as noted above. Copy its contents into a folder named adrv (or ydrv)_fossapup64. From that folder, open the folder named packages. It will either be a hidden in /root --left-click rox's 'EYE' to view hidden files/folders-- or in /var/packages. Each application will have its own, appropriately named, file that you can open in a text-editor. An application's 'package' file will list every file which has been installed for it, and their locations. Delete the files. Then Right-Click the a/y_drv_fossapup64 and select dir2sfs. A new SFS will be created. If you do that under fossapup64 the _9.5 designation will be added. Otherwise Right-Click the SFS, select Rename and add/edit it to do so. Replace your old adrv/ydrv with your new one.
Easiest, least time consuming: Don't remove these applications. Just turn off their displays on the menu. These take up little space in storage and --when not run-- even less RAM. Stripping out applications is pretty-much an exercise having little actual value. See, viewtopic.php?t=692&sid=1855abf26e51399 ... 9e34dcec02. In that exercise I removed Abiword, gnumeric, and all applications relating to printing and burning to a CD. These likely took up more space in storage than those you've mentioned. The result was I had all of 7Mbs more RAM available.

To just remove a listing on the menu, open its corresponding file in /usr/share/applications --e.g. hexalate.desktop-- in a text editor and add the following line:

NoDisplay=true

You may have a Menu listing for PupMenu or MenuEditor which will edit the desktop file for you.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

bilou wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:51 pm

I have a small problem with fossa9.6 some games do not appear in Remove builting packages
An example with Hexalate, where can I find this package? Thank you for your help

I am curious to know why you want to remove these, understanding the reason might help in providing the best answer?
In many cases, removing built-in packages just hides them so does not help with space.
Those games use shared Qt5 libraries which you would NOT want to remove as they are needed by other things.
If you really want to do it, you could find the original packages (.pet or whatever) in the repos (ibiblio?), download those, extract them and then look at the contents and decide which of the files can be deleted manually from your system, but I really don't see many advantages to doing that.

Grey

iQPuzzle - Krush, Kill 'n Destroy

Post by Grey »

bilou wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:51 pm

You have already created a second topic about this, as I see :)
If I understood correctly on the third day what you need... You need determination and courage ;)

Just delete it all :) Manually. For example, all (3) binary startup files are located here: /usr/games/

Then delete the rest of the games. For example, for iQPuzzle, the launch shortcut from the menu is located here: /usr/share/applications/
It just has an unexpected name com.github.elth0r0.iqpuzzle.desktop :)

But there are also icons and documentation. The easiest way is to do this. Right-click on the /usr folder and run pFind (search with pFind). Search iqpuzzle.
It will do a miracle for you ;)
Select everything in the program window using CTRL+A.

And delete, delete, delete!
A long time ago there was a KKnD: Krush, Kill 'n Destroy game for DOS - not a bad strategy. In the Russian translation, the name was funny - Crash, Cripple, Don't Think :)
Also in the mid-90s there was another translation option of KKnD :roll: The script has been completely changed. There, Russian bandits fought with Ukrainian nationalists for vodka Filth, which was extracted at the reactor of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant :!:
And so... Krush, Kill 'n Destroy :twisted:

iQPuzzle_KKnD.gif
iQPuzzle_KKnD.gif (42.47 KiB) Viewed 304 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

bilou

Post by bilou »

@OscarTalks
@mikeslr

Many thanks for your feedback.
I want to remove them because I don't want any games in my base menu.
I plan to create a Remaster, to launch Amiga systems directly, via FS-UAE.
The configuration works well, I boot directly on my system, just press F12 to return to Puppy.
With the advice of users, I created an Amiga-System Category.
I just have to spruce up and clean up the system a bit, including the games.
The rest is perfect.

Thank you very much for all this infos, I have been a Linux user for a very long time on PcLinuxOS. On Puppy, I lack practice, and you helped me a lot.
Good weekend to all

bilou

Re: How to remove games that aren't in 'Remove built-in packages?' (Solved)

Post by bilou »

Hmmmm, not wanting to destabilize the system, I hid them in the menu with MenuManager. When I go to remaster, the menus will remain hidden?

Grey

Re: How to remove games that aren't in 'Remove built-in packages?' (Solved)

Post by Grey »

bilou wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:24 am

Hmmmm, not wanting to destabilize the system, I hid them in the menu with MenuManager. When I go to remaster, the menus will remain hidden?

Just delete .desktop files in /usr/share/applications/ Then when remastering in Menu you will definitely not see the games for which they are responsible.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Return to “Fossapup64”