Xero Linux using First Rib initrd

TerryH

Xero Linux using First Rib initrd

Post by TerryH »

I was reading the recent review of EasyOS on the Itsfoss website yesterday. When having a read of some of the other articles, I saw an article on XeroLinux, which is an Arch based distribution, with the main DE being KDE Plasma. I decided I'd do a manual frugal install ,utilizing @wiak 's First Rib initrd. I extracted the /usr/lib/modules to make a 00modules.sfs, but I didn't use it in the end. The Arch kernel used in the iso I downloaded was 6.4.3, so I decided to use the Arch kernel in @Sofiya's latest KLA-OT2 2.7 release, an excellet release in itself. I added the save2flash and snapmergepuppy, so I'm running in RAM2 mode. This is a really well presented release, well worth a look. There website also states that they have a Gnome and also an XFCE variant. I didn't see downloads for either of these variants, but didn't try to search for them. The KDE Plasma desktop works very well for me.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

wiak

Re: Xero Linux using First Rib initrd

Post by wiak »

TerryH wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:50 pm

The KDE Plasma desktop works very well for me.

Sounds good. KDE Plasma desktop is nice - it does work well on my faster laptop. Is it using Wayland? - that is one general advantage with either Gnome or KDE Plasma at the moment, both tend to support Wayland at same time as good desktop environment (other Wayland DEs are a bit spartan for my taste at the moment - can't wait till/if XFCE fully supports Wayland for use on my slower machines).

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

KDE Plasma can also be built with FR/KL :)
https://docs.voidlinux.org/config/graph ... n/kde.html

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

wiak wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:45 am
TerryH wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:50 pm

The KDE Plasma desktop works very well for me.

Is it using Wayland? ...

... can't wait till/if XFCE fully supports Wayland for use on my slower machines).

From having a look at their forum, it appears that they haven't implemented Wayland. as yet The lead dev has posted a wish for donations to get some AMD hardware to be better able to implement Wayland, as currently using nvidia graphics.

Yes also looking forward to XFCE supporting Wayland.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

Return to “Other Distros”