xset fails to set mouse acceleration

Moderator: Forum moderators

MochiMoppel

xset fails to set mouse acceleration

Post by MochiMoppel »

Related to the claim that mouse settings cannot be saved I find that mouse settings don't work at all in BW64-RC (and earlier) and also not in F96-CE.

In BW64 2 problems:
1) I had difficulties to find the Input wizard. Used to be accessible from the main menu.
2) Changing the mouse acceleration has no effect.

Tried 2 extreme settings in console: xset m 10/10 1 (very slow) and xset m 70/10 1 (very fast). None of them has effect.

HerrBert

Re: xset fails to set mouse acceleration

Post by HerrBert »

MochiMoppel wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:00 am

Related to the claim that mouse settings cannot be saved I find that mouse settings don't work at all in BW64-RC (and earlier) and also not in F96-CE.

In BW64 2 problems:
1) I had difficulties to find the Input wizard. Used to be accessible from the main menu.
2) Changing the mouse acceleration has no effect.

Tried 2 extreme settings in console: xset m 10/10 1 (very slow) and xset m 70/10 1 (very fast). None of them has effect.

I don't think this is related to @8Geee's topic...
Slacko 7.0 uses the classic xset method to set mouse pointer acceleration. I don't know, why it cannot be stored permanently :?

About your second problem i can report the same behaviour in s15pup64.
I think it is related to a change to xinput, respectively libinput.

I can change mouse pointer acceleration with

Code: Select all

xinput set-prop 8 "libinput Accel Profile Enabled" 1 0
xinput set-prop 8 "libinput Accel Speed" 0.3

where 8 is

xinput list "USB Optical Mouse" --id-only

and the device name USB Optical Mouse is obtained from /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I don't use Bookworm at all, only had a look at it once, but what i can see from the sfs, it uses a similar startup for xinput in /etc/xdg/autostart like s15pup64 does.
Not sure if this may give anyone an idea of what's going on under the hood.
(As always, language is the biggest barrier :( )

Eastler_Dart

Post by Eastler_Dart »

Hi all :-)

As I worked with Upup-EF, I had also problems configuring the mouse senitivity.
There I changed the script /usr/sbin/input-wizard :-)
The changed version you can download at http://www.eastler.de/tmp/input-wizard

Save that script (in Browsermenu page save as.... ) anywhere (but not at /usr/sbin),
make it executable, an start it in Console.
You'll get the main window of input-wizard, which has right side the Button
for Adjust mouse senitivity, click it, the sensitivity window opens, it is self-explaining.

If that works in your system, save it to /usr/sbin/input-wizard.

hope it helps, Eastler :-)

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

There is an issue which has been around for a while, mouse acceleration via xset stopped working because the input-wizard script calls the "dc" utility which is a busybox symlink in /bin and the syntax which was understood by the dc utility got changed.

I recall (only partially) that some efforts were made to fix this (including by BarryK in EasyOS) but it was not fully corrected in all Puppies. Searching the forum should reveal more but I can't quite remember all the specifics right now.

I am surprised though, because I thought that mouse acceleration had now all been switched over to control via libinput in WoofCE and that the Puppy Setup was now offering a GUI which would write changes to a .libinputrc configuration file in /root or some other suitable location. Not sure why this does not seem to be implemented in Bookworm Pup. I think in other recent Puppies it is all working OK

Just to add, looking in S15Pup64, Menu>Setup>Mouse/Keyboard manager brings up input-wizard (GUI) which has Pointer Properties button (GUI) which has an Acceleration drop-down selector which works by writing configuration changes to /root/.inputrc (and /root/.xset.sh is NOT used).

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

OscarTalks wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:33 pm

There is an issue which has been around for a while, mouse acceleration via xset stopped working because the input-wizard script calls the "dc" utility which is a busybox symlink in /bin and the syntax which was understood by the dc utility got changed.

dc still seems to work fine, at least the command used in input-wizard:

# dc -e "7 10 * 1 / p"

Just to add, looking in S15Pup64, Menu>Setup>Mouse/Keyboard manager brings up input-wizard (GUI) which has Pointer Properties button (GUI) which has an Acceleration drop-down selector which works by writing configuration changes to /root/.inputrc (and /root/.xset.sh is NOT used).

In BW64 Menu>Setup>Mouse/Keyboard manager doesn't exist (that's the menu item I was missing). In BW64 it would be Menu>Setup>Puppy Setup, from there the Mouse/Keyboard button . Puppy Setup is also accessible viaJWMdesk. The input-wizard eventually should call itself with the parameter "libinputmouse" but it is still configured to use "mousex" (PUPX_MOUSE="$0 mousex"). The latter uses xset and writes /root/.xset.sh . When calling

input-wizard libinputmouse

the Pointer properties dialog is displayed and setting mouse acceleration works.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Just comparing the /usr/bin/input-wizard in BWP64 with the one in S15Pup64
In BWP64 it seems the script is failing to detect that the libinput xorg driver module is the one in use and therefore offers up the wrong buttons and dialogs.

How about if we edit the section starting at line 615 so it now looks like this:-

if [ -n "$WAYLAND_DISPLAY" ]; then
 MOUSE_SETTINGS='<hbox>
        <text><label>'$(gettext 'Pointer Properties')'</label></text>
        <button>
          '"`/usr/lib/gtkdialog/xml_button-icon touchpad.svg big`"'
          <action>'${LIBINPUT_MOUSE_CONFIG}' &</action>
        </button>
      </hbox>'
elif grep -qm 1 "Using input driver 'libinput'" "/var/log/Xorg.${DISPLAY#:}.log"; then
  MOUSE_SETTINGS='<hbox>
        <text><label>'$(gettext 'Pointer Properties')'</label></text>
        <button>
          '"`/usr/lib/gtkdialog/xml_button-icon touchpad.svg big`"'
          <action>'${LIBINPUT_MOUSE_CONFIG}' &</action>
        </button>
      </hbox>'
else
 MOUSE_SETTINGS='<hbox>
        <text><label>'$(gettext 'Mouse Properties')'</label></text>
        <button>
          '"`/usr/lib/gtkdialog/xml_button-icon mouse.svg big`"'
          <action>'${MOUSE_CONFIG}' &</action>
        </button>
      </hbox>
      <hbox>
        <text><label>'$(gettext 'Adjust mouse sensitivity')'</label></text>
        <button>
          '"`/usr/lib/gtkdialog/xml_button-icon mouse_sensitivity.svg big`"'
          <action>'${PUPX_MOUSE}' &</action>
        </button>
      </hbox>'
fi

Also delete 'MOUSE_SETTINGS2' from line 681 as that is no longer defined.
That gives me the Pointer Properties button and dialog and the acceleration changer seems to work, but not sure if everything else still works OK.
I think that mouse acceleration control via xset (the exectutable) only works if xorg is configured to use the 'mouse' input module (/usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/mouse_drv.so) but that library does not even exist in this Puppy because the job is done by the 'libinput' input module (/usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/libinput_drv.so) instead, but someone will correct me if I am wrong. Anyway, I think the switch-over plus the need to support Wayland among other factors means that there are still some things that need to be addressed.

Attachments
mouseaccel.jpg
mouseaccel.jpg (32.53 KiB) Viewed 380 times
radky

Post by radky »

@OscarTalks

Thanks for your comments.

In the next release of BW64, the input-wizard will support two GUIs (user's choice of synclient or libinput utilities) for the management of touchpad properties. In both cases, mouse properties will be modulated by libinput (not xset).

Edit: switching from synaptics to libinput modulation of touchpad properties requires rebooting without the synaptics module -- maybe not worth the effort.

Return to “BookwormPup”