Manjaro Forum - Discourse

stevie pup

Manjaro Forum - Discourse

Post by stevie pup »

I've been running Manjaro on one of my laptops for quite a while, with no major problems, all good. However, other day something cropped up that was more of a minor niggle than anything else, so thought I would have a glance at their forum to see if others have had similar issue. Needless to say the same thing had come up before, on quite a few occasions, so that was quickly remedied.

What I wasn't happy with was the fact it took me 3 attempts just to read the forum posts. Why? Couldn't view them in Palemoon or Seamonkey, got error message saying "unsupported browser". So a bit of poking around and apparently it's due to something called "Discourse", whatever that is, and it is only supported on Chrome, Edge, Firefox and Safari.

So I'm forced to use one of the "big boy" browsers just to read some forum posts? Who on earth had that bright idea? How ridiculous! :evil:

For all I know this issue might have been around for years, it's just the first time I've come across it. I do hope other forums don't go the same way.

Grey

Re: Manjaro Forum - Discourse

Post by Grey »

stevie pup wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:22 pm

So I'm forced to use one of the "big boy" browsers just to read some forum posts? Who on earth had that bright idea? How ridiculous! :evil:

A lot depends on the forum engine, and not on the desire of moderator or users. If the engine uses new commands and plugins, then the forum will have certain requirements for the browser version.
And if we don't like it, then "we can then not use it" - that's how it works ;)

I wanted to buy an anti-mosquito net today :) Not ready-made, but a piece of several meters to replace the old one on the frame. And what do you think? The seller urged me to buy "a modern one with Velcro without a frame and inside the room." Otherwise, mosquitoes will eat me. I almost punched him in the face and went to another store, an old hardware store, and found everything I needed there :roll:

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

bigpup

Re: Manjaro Forum - Discourse

Post by bigpup »

I am surprised it worked with anything but Chrome.

I had a problem accessing the web site that provides my Fiber-optic internet service.

Trying to pay my bill and it would not proceed to finishing the process.

Their support did not do anything but say "you must, must use Chrome browser". :roll: :thumbdown:

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Other Distros”