Sofiya

KLA-OT2baseCE-1.1 ( 766 MiB )

Post by Sofiya »

KLA-OT2baseCE-1.1 (766 MiB)
ISO:
https://archive.org/download/20230225_2 ... CE-1.1.iso
SHA1-MD5.txt:
https://archive.org/download/20230225_2 ... CE-1.1.txt

Added modification of wd_timezone , using --list thanks @fredx181 . also added automatic setting of the time zone when connected to the Internet.
Added many Openbox themes, as well as a light theme.other improvements and fixes.

NEW: New FR initrd.gz version 7.0.1 rc1 released on March 09, 2023; Includes rolling update of Arch Linux packages dated March 14, 2023.

INCLUDES small but effective 'Eolie' Internet browser.
Regardng Internet browser.
I see no point in bloating a base iso with any large browser users may well not want.
Since fully-Arch-Linux-compatible KLA-OT2baseCE-1.1 comes with official and complete pacman package manager (think of it like Quickpet...).
To install Firefox or Chromium, you simply need to open a terminal and (assuming you logged in as user root) enter command:

Code: Select all

pacman -S firefox

pacman -S chromium

QEMU :
qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 2G -vga std -smp 2 -device AC97 -cdrom /root/Downloads/KLA-OT2baseCE-1.1.iso

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (230.02 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
Screenshot from 2023-03-14 16-28-10.png
Screenshot from 2023-03-14 16-28-10.png (332.21 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:58 am, edited 5 times in total.

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

fredx181

Re: KLA-OT2baseCE-1.1 final ( 766 MiB )

Post by fredx181 »

Sofiya wrote:

You can also download the image from here, I think the download speed should be higher here.
ISO:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tcRtcM ... share_link

Much better :thumbup: Indeed, as mentioned before, download speed from archive.org is very slow (for me at least).

wiak

Post by wiak »

I would be grateful if future CE releases always use this same thread. That helps to keep the thread 'Sticky' and also avoids endless lists of clutter.

Whilst I'm here... Though the ideal is that no use of command line should be required by the majority of users (or at least the distro should end up catering as best it can for that scenario), I also know the following to be a fact:
It's been said that “graphical user interfaces make easy tasks easy, while command line interfaces make difficult tasks possible” and this is still very true today.
And so good at least you have a great command line reference book - especially when the distro you are using remains in a state of ongoing development - occasionally someone is likely to suggest you type in a command or two - at least for special fixes or circumstances between releases:

Above quote happens to be from one great reference book, which is "The Linux Command Line" by William Shotts:

Online viewable: https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/emt23 ... dition.pdf

Original download site (freely downloadable pdf of 2019 "The Linux Command Line" Fifth Internet Edition 2MiB): https://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

There are other useful commandline related info at that https://linuxcommand.org site.

One change in recent years concerns the Linux filesystem hierarchy. Most modern distros have moved to making the likes of /bin, /sbin, /lib simply symbolic links to /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/lib. As a user you don't need to worry about that kind of organisational change since all roads point to the actual location where the files are. Can effect what developers do though - and trying to install old packages that were arranged internally to expect, for example, /lib to be an actual directory rather than a symlink. Sometimes, as another example, effects design of numbered addons for KL distros too; the likes of 00modulesXXX.sfs and 01firmwareXXX.sfs need arranged in /usr/XXX style to work correctly (but that is not an issue distro users have to worrry about - the distro developers have to take care of such matters).

https://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
Requirements
The following directories, or symbolic links to directories, are required in /.

Directory	Description
bin	Essential command binaries
boot	Static files of the boot loader
dev	Device files
etc	Host-specific system configuration
lib	Essential shared libraries and kernel modules
media	Mount point for removeable media
mnt	Mount point for mounting a filesystem temporarily
opt	Add-on application software packages
sbin	Essential system binaries
srv	Data for services provided by this system
tmp	Temporary files
usr	Secondary hierarchy
var	Variable data
Each directory listed above is specified in detail in separate subsections below. /usr and /var each have a complete section in this document due to the complexity of those directories.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

keniv

Post by keniv »

I downloaded the 1.1 version yesterday but I have not bothered to install it. This is largely because I have been trying to use v 1.0 now for several days and I still have not managed either to set up my time zone or my keyboard. These are both something I would expect to be able to do using a simple GUI in minutes even under an OS that was being developed.
@wiak
Though the ideal is that no use of command line should be required by the majority of users (or at least the distro should end up catering as best it can for that scenario),
While I largely agree with the above I do concede that in order to use a linux OS you probably need a little knowledge of the command line stuff. I have made some notes on this and even have a fairly elementary book. However, to be able to set up my keyboard in this OS I would also have to have an in depth knowledge of the OS as well. For instance, below is part of the instruction to set the keyboard to the UK.
set the keyboard to your country
go to /root/.config/openbox/autostart

in autostart 17 line where " us,ru " write down your "uk,us " .
toggle shift+ alt ___ restart required x
I have tried quite a number of pups both 32 and 64 bit, a couple of dogs and even a couple of versions of easy OS but I do not remember having to set up the keyboard like this. Nor would I know where this code was within the OS.
I am note trying to criticise developers of these OSs. They are doing something I cannot do myself and I am very grateful for their efforts which is something that I don't think is said enough in this forum but I would also like to say that as a member of this forum with little knowledge of the command line or how these OSs are put together that there must be a place for me and those like me to help. I think we need some honesty as to where in the development this can take place and whether a particular OS would be more suited to more knowledgeable linux users. I can only say that doing what I've done over the last days with no success is just demotivating. I am not trying to be controversial here. I am simply expressing an opinion. I may be the only member of this forum that holds this opinion.

Regards,

Ken.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

keniv wrote:...
I am note trying to criticise developers of these OSs. They are doing something I cannot do myself and I am very grateful for their efforts which is something that I don't think is said enough in this forum but I would also like to say that as a member of this forum with little knowledge of the command line or how these OSs are put together that there must be a place for me and those like me to help. I think we need some honesty as to where in the development this can take place and whether a particular OS would be more suited to more knowledgeable linux users. I can only say that doing what I've done over the last days with no success is just demotivating. I am not trying to be controversial here. I am simply expressing an opinion. I may be the only member of this forum that holds this opinion.
I agree that essential things like keyboard choice, timezone setup etc... should be easy to do, without terminal commands, so you're not alone.
wiak

Post by wiak »

keniv wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:06 am I downloaded the 1.1 version yesterday but I have not bothered to install it. This is largely because I have been trying to use v 1.0 now for several days and I still have not managed either to set up my time zone or my keyboard.
Yes, sounds like you are best just to give up on it. As an alternative, all the KL XFCE-based distros on here make it easy to set up keyboard (well since XFCE that is provided by default by the XFCE developers...).

However, I didn't myself actually release the KLA-OT2baseCE edition iso.

My release doesn't contain CE in its name and is here: viewtopic.php?p=71970#p71970

But I'm wondering what kind of keyboard/language you are trying to set up anyway. I'm scottish so I just use normal english/us keyboard and there certainly is nothing needs set up in my release of that link - it using normal english/us keyboard by default. But the desktop doesn't look as fancy as Sofiya's CE release. However, I believe Sofiya is from Russia so maybe has set up the keyboard to Russion by default in this CE - community - release? I haven't had time to check that recent CE release so I don't know.

As far as Timezone is concerned. Again - that just works for me on the KLA-OT2base version I released here: viewtopic.php?p=71970#p71970
which is all I take any responsibility for.
I set timezone with Start Menu -> Settings -> Timezone (wd_timezone), the operation of which I've already explained.

But again, seems to me you may indeed be wasting your time with this one and best to stick with any of KLV-Airedale, KLU-jamXFCEbase (which is Ubuntu Jammy based) or KLA-XFCEbase, which certainly should work fine on most computers.

EDIT: let's just go for a summary:
Otherwise I don't know. I certainly have no idea how to change keyboard from normal US keyboard in any KLA-OT2base - if non-english keyboard that much I left up to the user to work out since I don't know; Arch Wiki and command line is probably the only way to change it. However I totally don't agree with anyone who suggests that any published distro MUST provide a GUI way of doing anything; where do such rules come from?! This is free software - free to use - free not to use.

Really, if you want to use Arch Linux base, I suggest you try my KLA-XFCEbase instead since has well-known GUI setting capabilities for most anything (done by XFCE programmers, not by me), including foreign keyboards (as does KLV-Airedale, and my own KLU-jam-XFCEbase release).

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

Actually, another possibility is that you try DebianDog of some flavour or other. Fred can help you out there with whatever keyboard language you want and timezone and so on I'm sure.
Or try "Another Jammy64pup: viewtopic.php?p=81612#p81612 to see if that works for you. Probably has keyboard setup utility.
Up to you of course.

EDIT: Just tried Sofiya's KLA-OT2baseCE-1.1 and keyboard was English/US, which suits my own system fine. No matter what keyboard language you need to set up, I still think you are better using something other than Arch Linux based distro though - Whilst I wouldn't say any of these KL distros are for 'experts', Arch Linux generally attracts people that do prefer to set configs up more directly via commandline (as Arch Linux Wiki generally shows).

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

Hmmm... I'm even more confused now. Timezone via Start Menu -> Settings -> Timezone (wd_timezone) worked fine (Sofiya seems to have modified that to use Fred's yad list variant, but old one works too... ;) )

But more than that, Sofiya seems to have included 09-timezone in Network Manager dispatcher.d such that timezone gets autoset CORRECTLY (quite impressive really) on reboot (assuming you have internet connection of course).

So really I can't confirm any issue there at all. Better than my base version had it!

Can't say more about keyboard. No utility (other than commandline) is currently provided to change keyboard type from English/US (the default) to anything else - so I've no idea what you need or if your system has issues in that regard more generally. Definitely best you try a different distro - no point fighting what isn't working for you.

By the way, doing all these tests as a result of 'bug' report takes up a great deal of time on my part too - though nothing LIKE the hundreds of hours involved in putting the distro together in the first place. But time is indeed precious and more so when I can't find anything wrong in my own test to confirm issue.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

keniv

Post by keniv »

@wiak
Can't say more about keyboard. No utility (other than commandline) is currently provided to change keyboard type from English/US (the default) to anything else - so I've no idea what you need or if your system has issues in that regard more generally. Definitely best you try a different distro - no point fighting what isn't working for you.
@Sofiya provided a fix for the keyboard setting here https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 8&start=20 9th post down. Don't know if you've already seen it. I have not tried it yet.

Ken.
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

@keniv
provide a terminal output where your keyboard works properly
then we will know what settings are needed for you

setxkbmap -print -verbose 10 
Last edited by Sofiya on Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keniv

Post by keniv »

keniv wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:44 pm @wiak
@Sofiya provided a fix for the keyboard setting here https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 8&start=20 9th post down. Don't know if you've already seen it. I have not tried it yet.

Ken.
Just tried it and it did not work for me in v 1.0.
keniv

Post by keniv »

Sofiya wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:51 pm @keniv
provide a terminal output where your keyboard works properly

setxkbmap -print -verbose 10 
Here's the output from the terminal.

# setxkbmap -print -verbose 10
Setting verbose level to 10
locale is C
Trying to load rules file ./rules/evdev...
Trying to load rules file /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev...
Success.
Applied rules from evdev:
rules:      evdev
model:      pc105
layout:     us
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   evdev+aliases(qwerty)
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    pc+us+inet(evdev)
geometry:   pc(pc105)
xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)"	};
	xkb_types     { include "complete"	};
	xkb_compat    { include "complete"	};
	xkb_symbols   { include "pc+us+inet(evdev)"	};
	xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"	};
};
I notice the layout says "us". I am trying to set it to "uk". You will see I've used inverted commas. In order to get them I currently have to type@ and vice versa.
Hope it's of help.

Ken.
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Is this the output from Puppy where your keyboard works or is this an exhaust from KLA-OT2baseCE ,,?

keniv

Post by keniv »

@fredx181
I agree that essential things like keyboard choice, timezone setup etc... should be easy to do, without terminal commands, so you're not alone.
Thanks for that. I seem also to remember some discussion on OSs providing essential thinks like a basic browser. I think a GUI to set up the timezone and the keyboard would also fall into this category.
@wiak
Yes, sounds like you are best just to give up on it.
I am seriously considering this. I am beginning to feel that those with my low level of ability are no longer welcome here, however, perhaps that will wear off.
Actually, another possibility is that you try DebianDog of some flavour or other.
I have got Debian Dog on this machine. At one time I liked it a lot and it was probably my "daily driver" and yes I did need Fred's help to set it up. I don't suppose that surprises you. Don't use it so much now.

Ken.
keniv

Post by keniv »

Sofiya wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:15 pm Is this the output from Puppy where your keyboard works or is this an exhaust from KLA-OT2baseCE ,,?
No I think I have misunderstood you. I will provide an output from a pup where the keyboard is working as a UK keyboard. I'll get back to you.

Ken.
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

keniv wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:30 pm
Sofiya wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:15 pm Is this the output from Puppy where your keyboard works or is this an exhaust from KLA-OT2baseCE ,,?
No I think I have misunderstood you. I will provide an output from a pup where the keyboard is working as a UK keyboard. I'll get back to you.

Ken.
your line 17 should be like this

# Set keyboard settings
setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout gb -option grp:alt_shift_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp &
Last edited by Sofiya on Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

keniv wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:26 pm @fredx181
Thanks for that. I seem also to remember some discussion on OSs providing essential thinks like a basic browser. I think a GUI to set up the timezone and the keyboard would also fall into this category.
Well, there is a working Timezone setup GUI Menu > Settings (wd_timezone) the other one from Menu > System doesn't work.
Maybe a keyboard choice program will come in any next release, I guess. Do not forget that this is a rather new distro setup, some things need to be settled and you (as, I think, you consider yourself as an average user) can help by reporting issues.
keniv

Post by keniv »

@Sofiya
OK I'm in F96-CE_2. The keyboard works as a UK keyboard. Below is the output from the terminal.

locale is C
Success.
model:      pc104
layout:     gb
options:    terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,keypad:pointerkeys
symbols:    pc+gb+inet(evdev)+terminate(ctrl_alt_bksp)+keypad(pointerkeys)
geometry:   pc(pc104)
xkb_keymap {
	xkb_symbols   { include "pc+gb+inet(evdev)+terminate(ctrl_alt_bksp)+keypad(pointerkeys)"	};
	xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc104)"	};
};
Can you confirm this is what you wanted?

Ken.
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

keniv wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:40 pm @Sofiya
OK I'm in F96-CE_2. The keyboard works as a UK keyboard. Below is the output from the terminal.

locale is C
Success.
model:      pc104
layout:     gb
options:    terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,keypad:pointerkeys
symbols:    pc+gb+inet(evdev)+terminate(ctrl_alt_bksp)+keypad(pointerkeys)
geometry:   pc(pc104)
xkb_keymap {
	xkb_symbols   { include "pc+gb+inet(evdev)+terminate(ctrl_alt_bksp)+keypad(pointerkeys)"	};
	xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc104)"	};
};
Can you confirm this is what you wanted?

Ken.
ваша строка 17 должна быть такой

# Set keyboard settings
setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout gb -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,keypad:pointerkeys &
Last edited by Sofiya on Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

keniv

Post by keniv »

Sofiya wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:35 pm

Ken.

setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout us -variant , -option grp:alt_shift_toggle
This is my line 17 but remember it has been edited based on your suggestion in an earlier post.

setxkbmap -layout uk -variant -option grp:alt_shift_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp &
I believe that where I added uk previously contained ru, us.

Ken.
Edit: I have to be elsewhere for a while but I'll come back to this later.
Last edited by keniv on Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

keniv wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:51 pm
Sofiya wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:35 pm

Ken.

setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout us -variant , -option grp:alt_shift_toggle
This is my line 17 but remember it has been edited based on your suggestion in an earlier post.

setxkbmap -layout uk -variant -option grp:alt_shift_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp &
I believe that where I added uk previously contained ru, us.

Ken.
ваша строка 17 должна быть такой

# Set keyboard settings
setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout gb -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,keypad:pointerkeys &
restart x
Last edited by Sofiya on Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@Sofiya
In order to give this the best chance of working I have made a new clean frugal install of v 1.1. This has fixed the problem with the timezone in that the time and date are now showing correctly.
I also changed the code in /root/.config/openbox/autostart to that which you recomended i.e.

setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout gb -variant -option grp:alt_shift_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp &
However, this has not changed the keyboard to a UK keyboard and @ and " are still reversed.
I ran setxkbmap -print -verbose 10 again in a terminal and the output is shown below.

locale is C
Success.
xkb_keymap {
};
I checked /root/.config/openbox/autostart line 17 after restarting x to make sure the change I had made had been retained and it had so I don't know where we go from here. I wonder if I can ask if anybody else has been able to set their keyboard to a UK or GB keyboard.

Regards,

Ken.
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

keniv wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:43 pm @Sofiya
In order to give this the best chance of working I have made a new clean frugal install of v 1.1. This has fixed the problem with the timezone in that the time and date are now showing correctly.
I also changed the code in /root/.config/openbox/autostart to that which you recomended i.e.

setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout gb -variant -option grp:alt_shift_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp &
However, this has not changed the keyboard to a UK keyboard and @ and " are still reversed.
I ran setxkbmap -print -verbose 10 again in a terminal and the output is shown below.

locale is C
Success.
xkb_keymap {
};
I checked /root/.config/openbox/autostart line 17 after restarting x to make sure the change I had made had been retained and it had so I don't know where we go from here. I wonder if I can ask if anybody else has been able to set their keyboard to a UK or GB keyboard.

Regards,

Ken.
you didn't Restart X

keniv

Post by keniv »

@Sofiya
you didn't Restart X
I did restart x. I used Menu>RstartX. This is the way I've always restarted x. Have I to restart x in some other way?

Ken.
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

keniv wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:15 pm

@Sofiya

you didn't Restart X

I did restart x. I used Menu>RstartX. This is the way I've always restarted x. Have I to restart x in some other way?

Ken.

1)Let's set your own language in (/etc/locale.conf) - Lang = en_gb.utf -8

2)choose your own language in (/etc/locale.gen ) - #en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8 change to en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8

3) Dial in the terminal - locale-gen

4)

# Set keyboard settings
setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout gb variant "" -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,keypad:pointerkeys &

5) Restart X

Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-03-16 08-15-42.png
Screenshot from 2023-03-16 08-15-42.png (24.14 KiB) Viewed 766 times
Screenshot from 2023-03-16 08-10-22.png
Screenshot from 2023-03-16 08-10-22.png (82.28 KiB) Viewed 766 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:43 am, edited 6 times in total.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Can't see what locale set has to do with keyboard layout, but perhaps I'm missing something :?:
EDIT: Perhaps the model pc104 is wrong and should be model pc105 for Ken's computer.
Then:

# Set keyboard settings
setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout gb -variant -option grp:alt_shift_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp &
Burunduk

Post by Burunduk »

There is no keyboard variant named "-option". If you provide no variant, add an empty string -variant '' or remove it at all:

setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout gb -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

my short test showed that all 3 languages are selected, and that everything works

# Set keyboard settings
setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout gb,us,ru -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,keypad:pointerkeys &
Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-03-15 23-54-11.png
Screenshot from 2023-03-15 23-54-11.png (3.61 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Screenshot from 2023-03-15 23-54-25.png
Screenshot from 2023-03-15 23-54-25.png (3.03 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Screenshot from 2023-03-15 23-54-37.png
Screenshot from 2023-03-15 23-54-37.png (2.76 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

:ugeek:
Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-03-15 23-55-28.png
Screenshot from 2023-03-15 23-55-28.png (72.59 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

fredx181 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:42 pm Can't see what locale set has to do with keyboard layout, but perhaps I'm missing something :?:
This is for general development. :)

Return to “KLA”