Test build KLA-OT2basePLUS_CE-rc5

Post by Sofiya »

KLA-OT2basePLUS_CE-rc5 ( 728MiB )
Test build
ISO :
https://archive.org/download/20230225_2 ... CE-rc5.iso
SHA1-MD5.txt:
https://archive.org/download/20230225_2 ... A1-MD5.txt

INCLUDES small but effective 'Eolie' Internet browser.

Regardng Internet browser.
I see no point in bloating a base iso with any large browser users may well not want.
Since fully-Arch-Linux-compatible KLA-OT2basePLUS_CE-rc5 comes with official and complete pacman package manager (think of it like Quickpet...).
To install Firefox or Chromium, you simply need to open a terminal and (assuming you logged in as user root) enter command:

Code: Select all

pacman -Sy firefox

pacman -Sy chromium

QEMU :
qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 2G -vga std -smp 2 -device AC97 -cdrom /root/Downloads/KLA-OT2basePLUS_CE-rc5.iso

Edit:
after downloading via QEMU - Disable the "Picom" composite manager to display the elements correctly.
picom composite manager in QEMU doesn't want to work correctly.
The disable icon is located on the panel on the left.7 icon

Attachments
Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (479.6 KiB) Viewed 759 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:38 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

wiak

Re: Test build KLA-OT2basePLUS-rc5.1

Post by wiak »

I'll give it a try tomorrow Sofiya. Glad you found time to add your extra polish to this distro.

I'm very short of time here just now, but need to do a new revision of KLU-JAM next because my wife wants to use it, so good to see others adding to KLA-OT2, which is different from other KL releases since based on lighter resources than XFCE and thus consumes less RAM and is a bit faster, which should be specially noticeable on older maches. I'm curious if you got the /boot/grub.cfg, menu.lst and loopback.cfg correct for working with Ventoy, QEMU, and SG2D, which should simply be a matter of editing revision line in each to:

set revision=rc5.1

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

wiak wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:33 pm

I'll give it a try tomorrow Sofiya. Glad you found time to add your extra polish to this distro.

I'm very short of time here just now, but need to do a new revision of KLU-JAM next because my wife wants to use it, so good to see others adding to KLA-OT2, which is different from other KL releases since based on lighter resources than XFCE and thus consumes less RAM and is a bit faster, which should be specially noticeable on older maches. I'm curious if you got the /boot/grub.cfg, menu.lst and loopback.cfg correct for working with Ventoy, QEMU, and SG2D, which should simply be a matter of editing revision line in each to:

set revision=rc5.1

I have no idea,everything should be right :)

I have qemu "Picom" does not perceive I had to turn it off on the test in qemu
Tint2 seventh icon disable picom

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (937 Bytes) Viewed 735 times

wiak

Post by wiak »

Sofiya wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:02 pm
wiak wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:33 pm

set revision=rc5.1

I have no idea,everything should be right :)

I have qemu "Picom" does not perceive I had to turn it off on the test in qemu
Tint2 seventh icon disable picom

I downloaded. Very nice looking!

You have correctly altered grup.cfg and so om to rc5.1

But, could I ask you please to chance name of iso to: KLA-OT2basePLUS_CE rc5

The CE to show this is the Community Edition (which in this case includes contributions by yourself). Otherwise the numbering rc5.1 suggests this is next point release of KLA-OT2basePLUS rc5; the basePLUS version actually remains current; your new iso is CE not a new basePLUS iso so both should say rc5).

Next edition of KLA-OT2basePLUS rc5 that I make will likely just be published as KLA-OT2base rc6 (the PLUS was temporary to indicate include eolie browser, but I somewhat regret using the, confusing I feel, PLUS in the name),

So once, for example, the future KLA-OT2base rc6 is releases (assuming I ever get round to that), the Community Edition so be named: KLA-OT2baseCE rc6 (i.e. same revision name to indicated underlying base version rc)

Some may want to use the base version so it is important the revision number of the CE version does not suggest it is using some later version of the base erroneously (which rc5.1 suggests at the moment).
And it should say CE to indicate this is Community modified and not the base one that is being maintained by myself. I leave the forum community the job of maintaining that CE release, but will maintain the corresponding rc base variant used for the CE construction (and if I don't someone, for example yourself, can also take over maintaining the base version - I'll be maintaining my own FRA-OT2, FirstRib distro releases anyway if I decide to further make these).

Good that you have managed to add all your extras into new iso so - but should still be release rc5, but indicated as the CE release.

EDIT: in quick boot prior to gong for my coffee... couldn't see internet connection icon. Maybe I just missed where it is?
Edit2: Back home from coffee and now found where to enter wifi connection details, next to volume icon (but didn't see any wifi icon per se till after connected), and successfully connected via wifi. Desktop is very beautiful Sofiya!
EDIT3: Youtube video played fine, but I had to open up Audio mixer (pavucontrol) and turn up volumes to hear audio. The volume slider only showed volume percent number not any shaded level bar indicator.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

wiak wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:02 am

EDIT3: Youtube video played fine, but I had to open up Audio mixer (pavucontrol) and turn up volumes to hear audio. The volume slider only showed volume percent number not any shaded level bar indicator.

on a laptop, the volume is adjusted with the volume keys or in the tray by clicking on the volume icon and move the slider, also on the volume icon with the mouse wheel

EDIT :if you tested in qemu, most likely you also interfere with the "picom" .
Tint2 seventh icon disable picom.picom composite manager in QEMU doesn't want to work correctly.
EDIT2 : Once again I am convinced that the test through QEMU is not a good idea, unlike an economical installation.

Attachments
Screenshot(2).png
Screenshot(2).png (311.77 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (464.11 KiB) Viewed 650 times

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Test build KLA-OT2basePLUS_CE-rc5

Post by rockedge »

Once again I am convinced that the test through QEMU is not a good idea, unlike an economical installation.

I agree. I have chased "problems" down rabbit holes when mainly testing on QEMU machines that when frugally installed on a bare metal HDD and computer, boot, start and run without those "problems". We spend a lot of energy on working out boot methods and possibilities that only happen on virtual machines or ISO booters on various USB installation types.

I will first try a first boot of a new ISO on QEMU for quick look to see if it will start at all and/or if something is missing. Then very next test is on a real machine to have a full evaluation. Plus I mostly use the "normal" frugal install when I really need to get things done so I don't dwell on if Ventoy works or not.

Since I have these servers given to me for free I like to run QEMU on one with KLV or KLU/KLA using a VNC server and then using that KL anywhere the LAN reaches within a VNC client.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

:welcome:

Attachments
Снимок экрана от 2023-03-07 12-03-53.png
Снимок экрана от 2023-03-07 12-03-53.png (348.69 KiB) Viewed 508 times

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

I tried the OS in QEMU with Fossapup64 host and it seemed to be a bit sluggish, menu wise - QEMU is normally a good VM for speed.

I also had issues with a few GUIs, including Pulseaudio Volume Control coming up as a blank background .

Browsers did not seem to run, either..

Looks good otherwise with some interesting packages.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Geek3579 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:27 am

I tried the OS in QEMU with Fossapup64 host and it seemed to be a bit sluggish, menu wise - QEMU is normally a good VM for speed.

I also had issues with a few GUIs, including Pulseaudio Volume Control coming up as a blank background .

The menu is a bit 'sluggish' since it is Jgmenu, which uses Python. It is just that bit slow I know.
The Chromium browser won't run (it isn't installed by default), but eolie should be able to be started up from Start > Internet > eolie (or something like that). I'm not in the distro right now but I believe the default browser link hasn't been set to eolie - needs done (again maybe a link to non-existent Chromium). i.e. Try basic browser called 'eolie' (tabs appear on left side of browser). It is a tiny browser, but works for most web pages; was originally only included for documentation reading (html files) but even works with Youtube (on my computer anyway). Then again, Pulseaudio Volume Control works fine for me... so maybe other issues on your machine.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello EVERYONE

Having worked with VMs for many many years as a user, I struggle with seeing this comment.

Once again I am convinced that the test through QEMU is not a good idea,

I want to offer a view that just might be helpful to those following this line of thought as the premise may be a little inaccurate.

QEMU gives a user the ability to create a Virtual PC. This virtual PC, or as it is known "VM", is a REAL PC created in software with PC characteristics implemented by QEMU options selected.

Any of us can 'choose' to create whatever VM we would like it to be. We can choose the processor (thus far, we've only seen 64bit x86s used across the forum, but could certainly it could be some other processor from 32bit x86 to ARM to RISC to even using the CPU in the running HOST PC. The take-away I'm expressing is that WE CHOOSE what PC features we want the VM to run.

IN my postings, I purposely present the virtual PC I use by posting its stanza. If this VM doesn't match what a user wants, they can choose other options to configure their VM to match the real PC they want their VM to look-like. Thus if you dont want a BIOS VM, one can configure a UEFI VM. Or one can choose the video card of choice or ... whatever they choose for their test virtual PC.

Thus WE are the virtual PC builders for the OS/distros we use for our operating the VM with the OS/distro we run in that virtual hardware.

Most of us already know this so this info is redundant, but others who may not, might get a better understanding of why the quote, presented, is the target of this post in the thread.

If we run into problems, I agree that on one's personal bare-metal additional information may surface. But all this means is just what REALLY happens on REAL PCs, they TOO are different such that on one PC I get different results than on another. So, I've come to learn the EXACT same things occur with Real PCs that could happen in virtual PCs of differing configurations.

I recognize that this will NOT change anyone personal preference and is NOT the emphasis of this post. This post is NOT a target at anyone. It is offered as some understanding where some members might be confused that there is something wrong with QEMU-Linux when they might not know what QEMU does at a 'high' level.

ALSO,
if there is something wrong with the virtual PC we are using, please I ask if they would share

• what that might be such that we can improve the VM configuration to match what would be a better definition of the virtual PC is needed

• OR,offer what one thinks is wrong with virtual PCs we are using

• OR what elements of a distro running in the defined PC is wayward as there may be both an explanation and/or solution to more accurately represent the virtual PC we need to test with

• OR show what worked in one and not the other

.Lastly I hope everyone understands that we should expect that a stanza presented 'should' work exactly the same no matter where it is run. The stanza is equivalent to shipping a real PC to someone to replicate any findings. AS such any problem shown in the OS presented with the stanza can EXACTLY be replicated by the developer or someone wanting to help review the problem. Or someone may want to spin up a VM to see if they have the same experience with a distro's audio or app or window manager or ... or ...

These uses present accurate visions to each who runs any stanza presented by anyone.

I hope this info is useful understandings.
FYI

P.S. Generally, for 99% of the time, things I have found that do not work in my VM are replicated with tested on several of my test real bare-metal PCs. Thus my bare-metal tests validate what I find.

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

wiak wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:34 am

The menu is a bit 'sluggish' since it is Jgmenu, which uses Python. It is just that bit slow I know.
The Chromium browser won't run (it isn't installed by default), but eolie should be able to be started up from Start > Internet > eolie (or something like that). I'm not in the distro right now but I believe the default browser link hasn't been set to eolie - needs done (again maybe a link to non-existent Chromium). i.e. Try basic browser called 'eolie' (tabs appear on left side of browser). It is a tiny browser, but works for most web pages; was originally only included for documentation reading (html files) but even works with Youtube (on my computer anyway). Then again, Pulseaudio Volume Control works fine for me... so maybe other issues on your machine.

Thanks for this update. Eolie did ... eventually ... run from the menu, but would not accept any keystrokes/mouseclicks. And I couldn't start it from a terminal as it would not enter any characters, either.

WRT to GUI windows - at some stage I may try to do frugal install and see if that makes a difference. Funny things happen with particular -vga switches sometimes in QEMU and a change from -vga std be profitable. Cirrus mucks up the boot sequence...

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

Thanks for this update. Eolie did ... eventually ... run from the menu, but would not accept any keystrokes/mouseclicks. And I couldn't start it from a terminal as it would not enter any characters, either.

WRT to GUI windows - at some stage I may try to do frugal install and see if that makes a difference. Funny things happen with particular -vga switches sometimes in QEMU and a change from -vga std be profitable. Cirrus mucks up the boot sequence...

wiak

Post by wiak »

Geek3579 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:15 am

Someone might be able to help with your QEMU attempt if you post the qemu commandline that was used.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @Geek3579

I tried the OS in QEMU with Fossapup64 host and it seemed to be a bit sluggish, ...

Questions

• Is virtualization enabled in your PC's UEFI/BIOS?

• AND, is the KVM kernel module loaded in your OS?

# lsmod | egrep --color=always kvm # is virtualization present?

IF loaded, then boot this distro: My stanza is

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -vga std -m 2G -smp 2 -device AC97 -name "OT2 vRC5 via QEMU"  -cdrom KLA-OT2basePLUS_CE-rc5.iso

Let us know.

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

Here is my QEMU script:

modprobe kvm-intel # start KVM

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 4G -smp 4 -cdrom KLA-OT2basePLUS_CE-rc5.iso \
-cpu host -vga std -usb -device usb-tablet -soundhw ac97

wiak

Post by wiak »

Geek3579 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:23 am

Here is my QEMU script:

I admittedly know nothing about this, but I am curious what kind of machine you are running your qemu-system-x86_64 on. Particularly also wondered about what these two options (-usb -device usb-tablet) are for and how they inter-relate, and if they have any likely effect on your keyboard not working as I think you said.

Quick google only found very old (probably irrelevant) qemu-related page for me and I don't know what it means anyway: https://chromium.googlesource.com/exter ... s/usb2.txt

If you have a second computer that doesn't need that -usb -device usb-tablet options would be interested if working then? I presume others understand this stuff; I don't.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

re-notify

Edit:
after downloading via QEMU - Disable the "Picom" composite manager to display the elements correctly.

Last edited by Sofiya on Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

Sofiya wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:36 am

re-notify

Edit:

Also try another version(KLA-OT2basePLUS_CE-rc6 ) : In which the composite manager is disabled by default .
viewtopic.php?t=8203

Removing -usb switches had no appreciable effect.

But all the GUIS including Pulseaudio all seemed to work well once PICOM was disabled. Thanks @Sofiya!!

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Geek3579 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:23 am

Here is my QEMU script:

My host PC is running

$ qemu-img --version
qemu-img version 7.2.0

You might like this stanza for your virtual PC

$ qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -vga std -m 4G -smp 4 -device AC97 -name "OT2 vCE_rc6 via QEMU"  -cdrom KLA-OT2basePLUS_CE-rc6.iso

Enjoy

Return to “KLA”