ydrv patch (Solved)

Post here if you feel others can duplicate your so discovered "bug"

Moderator: Forum moderators

bigpuppyfan

ydrv patch (Solved)

Post by bigpuppyfan »

Not sure if this is a bug, if it is by design/security, something that has changed or if is something I am misunderstanding.

On a remastered fossapup64 and bionicpup64, I am trying to add a small file to /etc/rc.d and /etc/modprobe. This is on PUPMODE 5.

Rather than remastering the whole thing, I thought of maybe just creating a ydrv.sfs. From my understanding, as per the readme file in /initrd, the ydrv.sfs sits immediately below the read-write layer.

But after rebooting, although the ydrv loads, the files in it are not visible in the stack. But can see them in /initrd/pup_y

The chart showing up on http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.p ... 6e94a16717 has a different order to that mentioned in the /initrd/readme, and if that chart is correct I guess it could sort of explain the issue. However, if the ydrv contained a file located somewhere outside /etc, for instance in /root, the file would be visible in the stack, so I guess there is more to it...

Thank you

NB-On fossa, this is for an attempt of loading an nvidia driver in pupmode 5; I'm using recent kernels from the kernel-kit. I'm probably not going to use the driver since the build is bigger than the whole puppy :shock: , but might as well finish the experiment. In a machine with 2 display cards/monitors it's possible to unload nouveau without a reboot if the framebuffer is tied to the other card, but otherwise it's necessary to reboot and blacklist it. Passing the blacklist argument to the kernel at boot didn't work, so need to add the file to /etc/modprobe.

Last edited by bigpuppyfan on Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozsouth

Re: ydrv patch

Post by ozsouth »

@bigpuppyfan - this should not be happening to you. I assume you named it correctly (i.e. ydrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs), & it exists in /etc/DISTRO_SPECS, & you created the file with mksquashfs. Next to consider would be your content. adrv would load after ydrv, & ITS contents would overwrite anything you put in ydrv. You can change this behaviour by reversing the a & y drv names.

bigpuppyfan

Re: ydrv patch

Post by bigpuppyfan »

Thanks for the input @ozsouth
I must have had some issue with the path all those times; I tried it again with rsync and this time no issues :)

Return to “Bug Reports”