Track Phone & Computers on The Internet

For discussions about security.
Flash

Track Phone & Computers on The Internet

Post by Flash »

Well this is a little scary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZtWRzcmh0Y

If I understand correctly, it should work in any browser running Javascript, no matter what OS the browser is running in.

Chaos coordinator :?
user1111

Re: Track Phone & Computers on The Internet

Post by user1111 »

Flash wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:33 am

Well this is a little scary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZtWRzcmh0Y

If I understand correctly, it should work in any browser running Javascript, no matter what OS the browser is running in.

Most devices/browsers permit you to turn geo-location off, some such as Firefox I believe have it as a opt-in choice, others such as Google have it as a opt-out condition.

The likes of Javascript/code is paramount to giving total strangers the option to run code on your device, those that benefit one way or another from that have pushed such technology to levels where most freely accept that as being 'normal'. Where if you don't accept that then the whole 'experience' is considerably diluted down. Whilst there are benefits, there are also more often hidden costs.

HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

I recall years ago i have been asked to confirm locations presented by websites frequently.
Of course i did not.

Nowadays, when i do a search for let's say a superstore / wholesale, i get a map with a range of locations they think it's nearby.
So this locating of IP is not uncommon.

Today Google.com locates me at Halle (Saale), Saxony-Anhalt, which is >300 km away from here.

approximate-location.jpg
approximate-location.jpg (72.36 KiB) Viewed 757 times

It's not even approximate.

There is no GPS in my desktop / laptop, so i looked up my IP location at https://www.iplocation.net as seen in the video.

First match is Chemnitz, Saxony, which is >380 km away from here.
Berlin ~500 km
Frankfurt am Main ~170 km

Of course this mismatch is related to my ISP.

Interesting information though.

xenial

Post by xenial »

Just tried the iplocation site myself out of devilment and it was not too far off the mark although it located me in a village in the middle of nowhere :lol: :lol: .

it was within a 50mile radius.
I gave up trying to hide long ago as it's a futile task and besides why do most try to hide anyway. :roll:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

xenial wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:57 pm

Just tried the iplocation site myself out of devilment and it was not too far off the mark although it located me in a village in the middle of nowhere :lol: :lol: .

it was within a 50mile radius.
I gave up trying to hide long ago as it's a futile task and besides why do most try to hide anyway. :roll:

Well, um....yeah. If the buggers are determined to find you, they WILL - one way or another - and it's an uphill task trying to hide. The only sure-fire way to do that is to disconnect your entire life from the internet AND modern society.....and become a hermit. :lol:

I live in North-west Norfolk, almost on the southern border of Lincolnshire. Geo-location regularly places me down on the Suffolk-Essex border.....almost 100 miles away. I'm not entirely certain whether to be miffed.....or grateful!

Mike.

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

Well, if you haven't tried this... with geo turned off in FF, enter google.com/maps.
How close is that?

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

Return to “Security”