A very different kind of ransomware....

For discussions about security.
mikewalsh

A very different kind of ransomware....

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, gang.

How's this for a different slant on the usual money-grabbing ransomware?

https://www.extremetech.com/internet/33 ... -data-back

Instead of coughing up crypto-currency, the authors of this one insist you perform "charitable acts of kindness".....and having done that, you then have to document the whole thing with video and post everything as a story on social media!

And this then has to be repeated, multiple times, until they're satisfied you've "changed your ways".....thinking of others instead of yourself. And ONLY then might you be in with a chance of recovering your encrypted data.

Looks like not all malware authors are nasty, self-centered, greedy bastards, after all.... :D

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

user1234

Re: A very different kind of ransomware....

Post by user1234 »

Can't say in what category they need to be considered in. Even though the ransom they are asking for needs to be given as charity, but think it as if it had happened with you. Would you be happy doing charities of hundreds to thousands of dollars?

The act they want us to do is good, but the opted way is not correct, I must say, atleast you cannot force anyone to do good, it's their own responsibility to understand that they need to do good.

On the other hand, they cannot be called bad, nor can their deeds can be.

So conclusively, I am very chaotic about categorising their deeds, but I am happy as well.

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

Return to “Security”