Impudence or firmness? Elon Musk haggling for price

For discussions about security.
Grey

Impudence or firmness? Elon Musk haggling for price

Post by Grey »

Elon Musk offered 19-year-old student Jack Sweeney five thousand dollars to remove a bot that tracks the location of the billionaire's private plane and posts information about it on Twitter. In the correspondence, the billionaire asked for the bot to be removed, stating that it poses a "security threat" and adding that he "does not like the idea of being shot."

The student replied to the billionaire that removing the bot would cost him a Tesla Model 3 :!: Musk asked the student how much he earns on his accounts. He replied that his income from them in total does not exceed $ 20 per month. Then the billionaire offered his sum of five thousand dollars for deleting the account. The brazen student asked to increase the reward to $ 50 thousand.

The billionaire replied that he would think about it, but since then he has not corresponded with the student anymore :)

Mmmm... What conclusions can be drawn from such a story :) ?!

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

greengeek

Re: Impudence or firmness?

Post by greengeek »

Grey wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:11 am

Mmmm... What conclusions can be drawn from such a story :) ?!

Ordinary citizens have to accept having their phones and cars tracked so why should Elon be considered different?

Especially when he fills the sky with strings of satellites that are part of the whole spying and data capture network.

It seems the student is posting with publicly available data so seems legit. But Elon will probably crush him with legal moves.

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

greengeek wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:01 am

It seems the student is posting with publicly available data so seems legit. But Elon will probably crush him with legal moves.

If Elon is as smart as everyone says he is, he would employ this student. :lol:
The $50K would be the signing bonus when the student comes onboard.

p310don

Post by p310don »

Musk basically asked what's in it for Jack.
Jack told him how little he was making from the posts.
This has given Musk the ammunition to know that $5k is about 4 years worth of earnings from the account

If Jack had said he was making $2000 per month, Musk would probably have offered more.

The problem here is that Jack didn't know he was in a negotiation so told the truth.

Flash

Post by Flash »

I'd guess that Jack hasn't heard any more because Musk got someone else to do the job for nothing.

Chaos coordinator :?
Grey

Re: Impudence or firmness? Elon Musk haggling for price

Post by Grey »

Elon Musk blocked a student on social networks :) : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... naire-jets
But the dude is not discouraged and is going to negotiate with Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos :lol:

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Sort of a drag. I don't like the kid already. With making lots of $$$$ as the motivation. I wonder how he'll feel when "someone" begins to track his every move and dedicate a web site to it. Which is most likely happening anyway, minus the fancy graphical display and maps.

Going to University in the U.S.A. doesn't automatically mean one's smart. It means you or most likely Mom and/or Dad have money to burn.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

Big Story

Does it cost more than $5k to lease a Model 3 for 3 years? If so, the ante has been upped.

So Elon is serious, and so is the kid.

I am drawn to moral and ethical dilemmas and this one has its dynamics.

It's like the black kid who was just slain by Minneapolis police during a no-knock warrant.

Yes, he had a gun. He also had a permit for it, and the warrant wasn't for him. But now he's dead by police hands. Whiteness doesn't protect anyone from the practice. What else don't we know?

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

one

Post by one »

Elon Musk is no longer alone.
Maybe they put money together to silence the student, Putin surely has one or the other idea as well ...

https://twitter.com/RUOligarchJets
https://twitter.com/PutinJet

peace

Grey

Post by Grey »

Hi. I don't have these links open (in the standard way). What can I do - the country is an outcast :)

But I've seen calls all over the internet, "let's get rid of a handful of people (downed aircraft) and the whole world will live well". No, it won't. This is not a cunning plan, this is a kindergarten.

one

Post by one »

Grey wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:24 pm

Hi. I don't have these links open (in the standard way). What can I do - the country is an outcast :)

But I've seen calls all over the internet, "let's get rid of a handful of people (downed aircraft) and the whole world will live well". No, it won't. This is not a cunning plan, this is a kindergarten.

Sure, it will not stop the "military operation" as you call the war in the Ukraine - nobody believes that.

So what - you started this thread - it is appropriate to continue what you have considered newsworthy.

Btw: You have been suspicious to me since your unspeakable statement about Jews, you are the last one who has to be so sensitive about a harmless action.

peace

Grey

Post by Grey »

one wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:56 pm

Btw: You have been suspicious to me since your unspeakable statement about Jews

I know that you were offended "about talking about Jews" :roll: But this is the state of things in the world. Some nations adore each other because they have never encountered each other at all. Others have some historical friction.

Return to “Security”