FBI and NSA expose new Linux malware Drovorub, used by Russian state hackers

For discussions about security.
Flash

Post by Flash »

The FBI and NSA issue joint security alert containing technical details about new Linux malware developed by Russia's military hackers.

...The two agencies say Russian hackers used the malware, named Drovorub, to plant backdoors inside hacked networks.

...Drovorub — APT28's swiss-army knife for hacking Linux

Per the two agencies, Drovorub is a multi-component system that comes with an implant, a kernel module rootkit, a file transfer tool, a port-forwarding module, and a command-and-control (C2) server.
"Drovorub is a 'swiss-army knife' of capabilities that allows the attacker to perform many different functions, such as stealing files and remote controlling the victim's computer," McAfee CTO, Steve Grobman, told ZDNet in an email today.
"In addition to Drovorub's multiple capabilities, it is designed for stealth by utilizing advanced 'rootkit' technologies that make detection difficult," the McAfee exec added. "The element of stealth allows the operatives to implant the malware in many different types of targets, enabling an attack at any time."

...To prevent attacks, the agency recommends that US organizations update any Linux system to a version running kernel version 3.7 or later, "in order to take full advantage of kernel signing enforcement," a security feature that would prevent APT28 hackers from installing Drovorub's rootkit.

The joint security alert [PDF] contains guidance for running Volatility, probing for file hiding behavior, Snort rules, and Yara rules — all helpful for deploying proper detection measures.
Chaos coordinator :?
williams2

Re: FBI and NSA expose new Linux malware Drovorub, used by Russian state hackers

Post by williams2 »

update any Linux system to a version running kernel version 3.7 or later
The kernel in BionicPup64 is 4.19.23.

Code: Select all

# uname -r
#
mohittomar13

Re: FBI and NSA expose new Linux malware Drovorub, used by Russian state hackers

Post by mohittomar13 »

Thanks for the information. However, no one would be interested in hacking my machine, all it contain is gibberish web dev code and other stuff, that sometimes I too fail to understand why on earth I wrote those lines in my app. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D

Laptop: Dell 3568
CPU: intel i3 6006U
RAM: 12 Gigs
4GB-micron + 8GB-kingston

yeah, it works.. :D
HDD: 1TB
OS: Tripple boot- (Windows-10, Xubuntu-20.4LTs, Bionic Puppy) 64Bit

Return to “Security”