Zoom SFS

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

jamesbond

Zoom SFS

Post by jamesbond »

step has been maintaining Zoom SFS for Fatdog64 and other Puppies for a long time. He is currently taking a break, so I'm taking maintenance temporarily. The SFS is tested in Fatdog64 but I believe would run on other Puppies too (but you will need to edit the zoom.desktop file to tell it to launch Zoom instead of Zoom-spot).

You can download this from the SFS Manager (or download directly from here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/810/ )

At version 2021-12-01.

step

Re: Zoom SFS

Post by step »

Thanks, jamesbond.

If anybody still needs the older SFS the link to the old thread is http://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=118289.

The zoom SFS in the old thread and the one here differ slightly in their packaging, the rest being the same. The former puts the zoom menu icon under Network while the latter puts it under Internet. The icons look different.
For shell users, the command is zoom-spot in one case (not to be mistaken for /usr/bin/zoom.sh) and ZoomLauncher-spot in the other (suffix "-spot" is optional but highly recommended).

Rather than maintaining two makes for such small changes, I'm attaching an archive that can be used to add those small differences to one's save file. If you prefer or need to use the older packaging uncompress the archive in your '/' folder. Since this archive doesn't replace the new packaging, you will find two zoom icons in the menu albeit under different submenus as mentioned above.

Attachments
zoom-alt-pkg.tar.gz
(30.05 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

Thank you @step.

Now at version 2021-12-01.

Neo_78

Post by Neo_78 »

Is there a newer version of Zoom available for FatDog?

The latest .deb file appers to be version 5.11.3 (3882).

Has anyone tested the Zoom plugin for Chrome in FatDog?

Appreciate your feedback! :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Neo_78 :-

I wouldn't bother with the Zoom plugin. It runs like caked crap; very juddery, out-of-focus & unbelievably "laggy". This is with a Logitech c920 HD 'Pro', one of the best external pNp USB webcams you can get; it's not the fault of the camera, nor of Chrome; it's Zoom themselves, they're deliberately deprecating all solutions other than the desktop client. And I don't know why, but they've recently added nearly 200MB-worth of Electron crap on top of what was always a heavy app.......in the unpacked, installed condition, it occupies not far short of half-a-gigabyte now. Plus, it will ONLY run in Chrome itself; despite the fact that the 'clones' all share the same code-base, it will not run in any of 'em.

Ridiculous, for what is just a video-conferencing app. Myself, I use either Jitsi's "Meet", or Google's own "Meet" app.....the 'spiritual' successor to Hangouts.

Both of the above run in the browser, though Jitsi's "Meet" is also available in 'portable' format.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

step

Post by step »

@Neo_78 at version 5.11.3 - get it with the SFS manager.

Neo_78

Post by Neo_78 »

Thanks @step. Appreciate it. :thumbup:

Return to “Software”