Webcamoid - a 64-bit, Qt5-powered webcam app.....in 'portable' format

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Webcamoid - a 64-bit, Qt5-powered webcam app.....in 'portable' format

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

I know, I know; you're all probably getting fed-up with me 'portabilizing' apps for Puppy, aren't ya? :lol: Well, brace yourselves, 'cos the end is nowhere in sight yet!

Some of you may have heard of WebCamoid, others may not. It's, um, well.....the best way to describe it is probably as a combo of GuvcView and the 'Cheese' webcam booth. You can play around with your webcam settings to the nth degree. You can take still snaps. You can record clips.....and you can apply about a million fancy effects to your stills & clips!

https://webcamoid.github.io/

I've been using it ever since it was first released, some four years ago. In those days, 32-bit versions were also available, but both 32- AND 64-bit were dreadfully unstable, extremely crash-happy , and would quit at the slightest excuse to do so....

Recent releases are far more stable. This is the last but one release - v8.7.1 - rather than the latest, v8.8.0, because 8.8.0 will only run on Fossapup64 or newer. v8.7.1 is somewhat more flexible, and will run at LEAST as far back as Xenial64.

Not everybody likes these newer, Qt5/Electron-powered apps, because they're way bigger than traditional, small Puppy-sized apps. However, time moves on, and more & more of us are now running beasts with 8GB/16GB/even 32GB RAM.....where the need for keeping everything as small as possible is nowhere near as critical as it once was. Puppy's advantage, of course, is that it's still small compared to most others.....which just leaves you more room for doing what you WANT to do. :D

-----------------------------------------

If anyone's interested, y'all can find it here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/aCRhGIrb#140FZnan90aG7KemAMDY4A

As always; d/l, unzip, move the portable directory anywhere you like (though preferably outside the 'save'). Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up. You can also add a Menu entry, if you so wish.....and it'll even run from a flash-drive.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Multimedia”