Which video editor for GTK3 or QT5 works in Slacko64?

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Which video editor for GTK3 or QT5 works in Slacko64?

Post by Clarity »

Which editor works in current Slacko64 v8+?

Heve tried avidemux and kdenlive without success from PUP package manager

Code: Select all

$ kdenlive
kdenlive: error while loading shared libraries: libmlt-7.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
$

Seeking a Slackware v15 recommendation.

Last edited by Flash on Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Original title was: Video editor for GTK3 or QT5
mikeslr

Re: Which video editor for GTK3 or QT5 works in Slacko64?

Post by mikeslr »

One of the reasons I focus on Ubuntu-or-debian binary compatible Puppys is that the creators of video-editing applications have those, rather than Slackware, in mind when building. Not that there can't be Slackware versions. It's just that the 'user' can't just be a user. (S)he often has to track down components which the application creator didn't include. For the most part, video-editors are built onto a python frame-work, and resolving python issues is beyond me.
I took a look at both KDEnlive and Openshot for Slackware-current via pkgs.org. The third-party (i.e. not official) build via the links to slackel and slackonly repos seem the least intimidating. I'd guess that the best way to acquire them and their (perhaps unnoted) dependencies would be to install and use pkg-cli.
shot-cut might be the easiest full-fledged video-editor to get up and running under Slackos. They publish just one build for a variety of Linux distros, although Slackware isn't mentioned. And it's available as a portable which, under Puppys, should make it easy to 'trial-and-error', search for what's missing, try-again without messing up your system. https://shotcut.org/download/.
MikeWalsh has published portables of both shotcut and openshot, viewtopic.php?f=88&t=3375. If they don't function OOTB under Slacko, they might provide a good base to build on.

Edit: As I mentioned, I usually stick to 'Ubuntu/debian' Puppys. But mistfire has published a QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 5, viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3171, having builtin so many modern applications and 'Bells & Whistles' that I had to 'check it out'. As it's on my 'boot-menu', your post encouraged me to boot into it and check out the AppImages and portables I've accumulated. MikeWalsh's portable openshot opened OOTB as did his LosslessCut. His shotcut complained that jack was missing and wouldn't open. Avidemux_2.7.6.AppImage opened; 2.7.8_GLIBC_2.28 did not. The KDEnlive-19.04.AppImage also opens as does the Olive (April 2019 | Alpha | 1e3cf53) AppImage build.
Whether any of those applications are "fully functional" under Quickpup, and to what extent they will function under your Puppy is beyond my knowledge. But, hopefully this will provide you with some ideas.

Last edited by mikeslr on Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muggins

Post by muggins »

For Avidemux you could try the latest Appimage from here:

https://www.fosshub.com/Avidemux.html?d ... 4.appImage

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Just that I edited my prior post to provide some information.

norgo

Post by norgo »

@mikeslr

of course there is a slackware basing distro containing all these multimedia stuff and much more.
All applications compiled from source and working absolutely stable.
They are builtin or installable via PPM including all needed dependencies.
As example for video editing avidemux 2.7.8 builtin or cinelerra GG 5.1 via PPM from repo or
WinFF, tsMuvsR, Audacity ... and so on.
Gimp 2.10.20 or Inkscape 1.0.1 everything present.

SLC64 2020-12

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@norgo THANKS.

Forgot about running that distro in the spring. Need to find my saved-session to start back up without having to start pristine.

Excellent performance as I remember.

Return to “Slacko”