PhotoScape 3.6.3 Portable under Wine

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

PhotoScape 3.6.3 Portable under Wine

Post by mikeslr »

PhotoScape is a 'Swiss-Army Knife' of graphic tools: "viewer, editor and batch editor, customize pages (size, margin, background, frames, filters), merge photos (via drag and drop), create an animated picture (GIF), print photos, split pictures into several parts, take a snapshot (capture window, region or full screen), use color picker and a RAW converter, and rename files (including file, photo and today's date).

In Viewer, you can create a slideshow, view in full screen mode, use lossless rotation, delete or rename files, and delete EXIF info, while the Editor lets you adjust brightness, contrast and white balance, rotate images, use backlight correction, apply the antique or film effect, use item decoration, remove moles, reduce noise, bloom, use a colored or watercolor pencil, distort, apply linear gradient, reflection, clone stamp, and more. There are hotkeys assigned for both the Viewer and Editor's functions." https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE- ... cape.shtml

PhotoScape v.3.6.3.png
PhotoScape v.3.6.3.png (71.08 KiB) Viewed 1346 times

As the title of this post notes, it runs under/requires Wine.
It used to be my 'go-to' application. But, making the mistake 'newer is better' I deleted my old version and upgraded. Each of the pictures shown in the above screenshot is a launcher to one of PhotoScape's modules. With the 'upgrade' came a blank screen instead. Well, having gimp and a couple other Linux-native applications I can live without PhotoScape. But I'm in the process of putting together a Puppy that will make extensive use of Window programs running under Wine so decided to track down the problem.
According to WineHQ the last tested version which received a gold rating was 3.6.2: the only version that received its highest rating. I was searching for 3.6.2 when I found 3.6.3 portable. As a portable, all you have to do is download and extract the zipfile, and click the exe file found within. WineHQ didn't report about that slight modification from 3.6.2. But I figured trying it myself might be quicker than continuing my search.
All the components I would use worked. Printing wasn't tested.
You can download it from here https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE- ... l#download

taersh

Re: PhotoScape 3.6.3 Portable under Wine

Post by taersh »

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (45.38 KiB) Viewed 1344 times

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

mow9902

Post by mow9902 »

Thanks for pointing out this app.

I downloaded v3.7 portable which worked OOTB for me on my fossapup64 system.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

PhotoScape 3.7 doesn't properly work on my current Desktop. But than neither do some other things which did on its predecessor. Taersh's post jogged my flaky mid-range memory. PhotoScape is not the only thing which has changed.

For an application to properly function "All the stars must align":
The operating system must properly make use of the computer's motherboard and hardware.
The application must properly communicate with the operating system.
In order for a 32-bit Windows program to do that running under a 64-bit Linux operating system, that communication must be properly handled by two intermediaries, themselves properly working with the computer, the application and each other:
The 32-bit compatibility system and Wine's application layer.

Moral: If on your system something doesn't properly function, a different version might.

mikewalsh

Re: PhotoScape v3.7 'Portable' under Wine...

Post by mikewalsh »

@mikeslr :-

Hey, thanks for this wee gem, Mike! It's enabled me to try summat else, too....just for the hell of it.

By extracting the portable v3.6.3, and deleting everything except one file - it appears to be specific to the portable version - I then copied across everything from my 'standard' v3.7 install in the 'external', sym-linked WINE.....with the exception of uninstall.exe.

I now have my own, 'home-built' portable PhotoScape v3.7..! Way to go.....

Running very sweetly - and stable, too - from my PortableApps directory in /root, sym-linked in from a large, external data partition where I keep all this WINE stuff. In MY case, I'm using the 5-series WINE AppImage Trister discovered over at Github; no need for all that 32-bit compat_lib stuff with these, 'cos the AppImages seem to be able to seamlessly 'auto-switch' between 32- and 64-bit Windows apps. Which is very, VERY useful, and just about the easiest way I've ever found to run Windoze stuff in Puppy.

viewtopic.php?f=142&t=1754

Like you, everything in PhotoScape that I tend to use at all regularly works fine. This is the very app where I create all those desktop backgrounds of mine.....right down to the home-grown 'docks' I use for everything.

----------------------------------------

So; if anybody would like to try this stable, fully-functional, "home-built" PORTABLE version of PhotoScape v3.7.....you can find the tarball & MD5 here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/KaRwWTST#ehIE-ySLGn1RlTzJ2V6Fkw

Like ALL Windows PortableApps, this runs from anywhere BUT the /root/.wine folder. This is because it has its own, portable 'mini-registry' self-contained within it.

Enjoy, y'all! Have fun with it.

Mike. :D

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikeslr

Re: PhotoScape 3.7 Portable under Wine

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, Mike.

You're package of PhotoScape portable works fine on my desktop; doesn't have the lost GUI problem I reported in my first post.

p.s. edit sep 12, 2021. I should also report that while your setup runs Wine via an AppImage, I just opened your portable using wine-portable (which under 64-bit Pups requires the 32-bit compatibility application).

And your Add-Menu script works 'a hoot': Created a functional menu entry from a folder a couple layers deep. :thumbup:

Last edited by mikeslr on Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikewalsh

Re: PhotoScape 3.7 Portable under Wine

Post by mikewalsh »

mikeslr wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:18 pm

Thanks, Mike.

You're package of PhotoScape portable works fine on my desktop; doesn't have the lost GUI problem I reported in my first post.

Glad it works for ya, Mike. I know you, like me, are a long-time user.....can't remember when I started using it, but it was a long while back (way before XP reached EOL, I know that much).

If it does what you want, I'm good with that. Have fun!

(Yes, I vaguely recall I, too, had an issue with the GUI going AWOL some little while back. It only did it for me under 3.3....and then only for a while. I had to install a certain .dll to get summat else running, and I remember that fixed it. When I did the upgrade of your portable-3.3 to portable-3.21, it ran fine. Same with these AppImages trister found for us at Github.)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Graphics”