I repaired a USB Type-C Cable Connector

joet12345

I repaired a USB Type-C Cable Connector

Post by joet12345 »

It is very easy to me because I have acquired knowledge over the years how to repair stuff....all you need is a very sharp knife with a little bit of oil on it (I mean just use the finger to smear it on it) so the blade glides to cut the rubber that encases the connector...

Here is the link:
:mrgreen:

wiak

Re: I repaired a USB Type-C Cable Connector

Post by wiak »

joet12345 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:52 am

It is very easy to me because I have acquired knowledge over the years how to repair stuff....all you need is a very sharp knife with a little bit of oil on it (I mean just use the finger to smear it on it) so the blade glides to cut the rubber that encases the connector...

Here is the link:
:mrgreen:

Sorry, I couldn't read the text on the jpg so couldn't understand what repair was done. Was there supposed to be a link to more detailed view?

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I fixed a USB flash drive, my dog chewed on! :thumbdown: :(
Used the, it will fix anything, good old Duck Tape!
The USB stick was in pieces!

I have also gotten bad motherboards working, by placing them in a oven, set on low temp setting.
Usually a bad solder joint can be the problem.
The heat helps to melt solder connection, so it is good again.

Reflow soldering is a very effective method for soldering circuit boards with lots of surface mount components.
Reflow Soldering

1. Preheat the oven to ~ 100 degrees Celsius.

2. Insert board into the oven.

3. Raise the temperature gradually up to 220 degrees and let it stay there for 1-2 minutes.

4. Take out board and let it cool.

The max time period used is important.
Electrolytic capacitors pop at high temp.
So carefully watch the time and do not keep it in oven too long!

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

joet12345

Post by joet12345 »

wiak wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:31 am

Sorry, I couldn't read the text on the jpg so couldn't understand what repair was done. Was there supposed to be a link to more detailed view?

imgur decided not to use direct link to the pictures. Now instead redirects them.... you can view the picture on imgur then right click it and select open on new tab or view image and it should take you to the direct link and there you can click it to zoom in...but I agree the text is too small ooopps :D

But basically one cable is of very poor quality and stopped working in a short period of time (black one). The other cable is good quality that I've had for years but by accident I broke the connector. So I took the connector from the black cable and soldered it to the good cable. Then to cover the cable I used hot glue....when you put the hot glue on there, it will look uneven and bumpy but there is a trick I have used for years = use a lighter to soften up the hot glue then it starts to blend...you move it around to try to get the best shape possible then when you have it just right, spray some isopropyl alcohol to cool it down fast.

joet12345

Post by joet12345 »

bigpup wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:40 pm

I fixed a USB flash drive, my dog chewed on! :thumbdown: :(
Used the, it will fix anything, good old Duck Tape!
The USB stick was in pieces!

I have also gotten bad motherboards working, by placing them in a oven, set on low temp setting.
Usually a bad solder joint can be the problem.
The heat helps to melt solder connection, so it is good again.

Reflow soldering is a very effective method for soldering circuit boards with lots of surface mount components.
Reflow Soldering

1. Preheat the oven to ~ 100 degrees Celsius.

2. Insert board into the oven.

3. Raise the temperature gradually up to 220 degrees and let it stay there for 1-2 minutes.

4. Take out board and let it cool.

The max time period used is important.
Electrolytic capacitors pop at high temp.
So carefully watch the time and do not keep it in oven too long!

I've been repairing stuff since very young...I never followed further so it all just stayed as a hobby and continue to repair things every now and the. I am talking about phone, computers, refrigerators, stoves, microwaves, pressure washers, generators, LED TVs, scooters, speakers, cordless tools (I am actually kind of a tool hoarder), pneumatic nailer (I buy them broken and repair them...e.g. I bought a 3-1/2" roofing nailer for $15 USD and I repaired it....used it to repair a wood fence a mini tornado knocked down).... and the list goes on and on...lol

Regarding reflow, I have always used a heat gun with great success... I am actually very familiar with lack of heat dissipation in lots of components for example in xbox gaming consoles, routers, lap tops, computer motherboards, LED TVs, etcetera.... when I say heat gun I don't mean a soldering station, I mean one of these lol : https://duckduckgo.com/?q=heat+gun&kl=u ... &ia=images you just have to work fast and with lots of soldering flux....the kind that is not conductive/corrosive for CPUs, chips, GPUs... but I have done it many times I started on scrap electronic boards to see what items I could pull off with out causing damage.... :thumbup2:

I may post other repairs I have done...I am a small engine guru too... I want to try repairing ride on scooters as a hustle maybe... I know a guy that does that and makes pretty good money for very little labor put in...

Return to “Off-Topic Area”