OpenVPN and Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

kylerickards

OpenVPN and Puppy

Post by kylerickards »

Hi

So I was trying to get Puppy and my VPN working working. Thanks to finding this thread viewtopic.php?f=146&t=2628 and the great work by Oscar, I am almost there.

However, I have a paid VPN which I use when on Linux Mint and so I thought I could use those details and the instructions in the vpn-start folder but for some reason I can't get it to work. I have modified my .ovpn file and that seems ok.

Could it be something to do with the location of the "ca ca.ipvanish.com.crt" section? Does that need to be in the same location as the .ovpn file?

Thank you

bigpup

Re: OpenVPN and Puppy

Post by bigpup »

Which Bionicpup are you using?
Bionicpup32 8.0 or Bionicpup64 8.0?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

I have never had to configure with separate certificate files, so was trying to look on-line for documentation. It seems to indicate that these files should be placed in the same location as the .ovpn configuration file and the name(s) should be specified in the .ovpn file
In this case that location is /etc/vpn-onoff
Not sure if you have one file or several files or several files in a directory. Maybe you can post that information including all file names.
There might be .crt files and .key files for CA, certificate and key
The line about ca ca.ipvanish.com.crt is pointing to a file named "ca.ipvanish.com.crt" for CA, but there might be others in which case you might have to add those as well.
Without seeing what you have, and never having done it myself it is hard to advise remotely.

A couple of hints, openvpn --help in terminal gives a list of configuration options but that is not always easy to understand.

To test your configuration and see diagnostic information, try openvpn --config /etc/vpn-onoff/vpnconfig in terminal
Then to make sure you kill any running openvpn process, open another terminal and type killall openvpn

CaptGeorge

Post by CaptGeorge »

I successfully added Cyberghost VPN to my puppy:

I first downloaded "vpn-onoff-0.4.0-i686-bionic.pet" from OscarTalks:
http://www.smokey01.com/OscarTalks/

And, installed it per instructions in Puppy Linux Bionic Puppy on my Dell Vostro 32-bit laptop.

Next, I went to my Cyberghost Account and created openvpn files for USA as I have before for Ubuntu.

I saved User ID and Password for the new openvpn connection in text file.

Downloaded all the files and put them in the "new" /etc/vpn-onoff directory. I renamed the openvpn file to USA , and changed the address pointers in the ovpn file for other files eg. ca, client, etc. And, saved my text file as vpnpass in the vpn-onoff directory per instructions. EDIT: per vpn-onoff Readme instructions I deleted vpnconfig symbolic link and set USA.ovpn as vpnconfig symbolic link.

Vpn-onoff works like Net Manager in Ubuntu 20.04 except it only handles one vpn.

It only requires mouse click for on or off.

Regards,

George

CaptGeorge

Post by CaptGeorge »

I added EDIT to instructions above. If anyone is having trouble setting up VPN let me know.

Return to “Bionic”