[FossaDog Bug] Sudden disk related issues

Moderator: fredx181

mcgiwer

[FossaDog Bug] Sudden disk related issues

Post by mcgiwer »

I run FossaDog (2020-11-15) from a USB stick and have an hard disk with my data connected to my pc.

When Fossa was started up, the disk was normally seen and it's partitions were mountable. However, after some time, Fossa started acting up in the form of either loosing partition informations (showing as unrecognized ) or loosing the disk access at all (it's device file in the /dev stop to exist)

April

Re: [FossaDog Bug] Sudden disk related issues

Post by April »

I'm just having a look at Fossapup64-9.5 atm . I have not had a browser crash in years but it does with seamonkey in this distro and thats not too impressive.

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

mcgiwer

Post by mcgiwer »

April wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:01 am

I'm just having a look at Fossapup64-9.5 atm . I have not had a browser crash in years but it does with seamonkey in this distro and thats not too impressive.

Wrong topic

April

Post by April »

mcgiwer wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:09 pm

Wrong topic

Well not really kind sir . They are both based on Fossa and it seems to be raising OLD problems. So I thought to add it.

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

mcgiwer wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:57 am

I run FossaDog (2020-11-15) from a USB stick and have an hard disk with my data connected to my pc.

When Fossa was started up, the disk was normally seen and it's partitions were mountable. However, after some time, Fossa started acting up in the form of either loosing partition informations (showing as unrecognized ) or loosing the disk access at all (it's device file in the /dev stop to exist)

I quickly tried to reproduce the problem you have, but cannot, and I have very little time these days, sorry.
Hopefully someone else will be able to help.

Fred

mcgiwer

Post by mcgiwer »

April wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:33 pm
mcgiwer wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:09 pm

Wrong topic

Well not really kind sir . They are both based on Fossa and it seems to be raising OLD problems. So I thought to add it.

but this topic is related to a disk reorganisation issue, so your browser issues are off-topic here, even if it's also related to FossaDog (like many topic's in the UbuntuDogs forum

April

Post by April »

mcgiwer Yeh ,well, tough eh! Shove it.

I'm coming to the belief that Fossapup64-9.5 is not very stable and I guess Phil666 is pretty busy with the numerous issues mentioned here and he's probably the only one able to work it out .

As I said I have not had a crash in my Puppies for probably 10 years and suddenly this one starts .
I am going back to xenialpup64-7.5 as that can be recommended as the most stable release I have found over the time to date .
Its the release that has also given the least trouble by way of file system errors even with a 6.5 Gig savefile.

So for any newcomers I would suggest don't try fossapup64-9.5 yet ,rather use xenialpup64-7.5.
This thread is but one of many that indicate to me anyway that Fossapups have problems.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

With those kinds of issues, I'd suspect that the hard drive itself more than it being a linux bug.

Have you tried to run any of the hard drive analysis/fixup programs?

Maybe the scan in gparted would be a good place to start?

mcgiwer

Post by mcgiwer »

NOTE: The issues apply mainly to FossaDog with is run from a USB stick without savefile (not saving changes)

I did. When it was correctly detected then the disk check hasn't returned any errors.

When the problems suddenly stared to occur, the disk's partition table is seen "unreorganized" (or similiar named) or the system is complaining with i/o error's.

The only solution to make it that it becomes seen correctly again, I needed to shutdown the system without saving the changes and after a bit to start up it again from the begining

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

The first thing I'd do then is see if you can duplicate it on another usb stick.

Also, how did you install it and can you show us your equivalent of the menu.1st file.

I don't know what's wrong, but these are just general trouble shooting steps to try to narrow it down, or at least for me to be able to set up to duplicate it for Fred.

mcgiwer

Post by mcgiwer »

dancytron wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:49 pm

The first thing I'd do then is see if you can duplicate it on another usb stick.

Unfortunatelly, it's the only usb stick I have and I can't afford myself to buy another one :(

Also, how did you install it

I had "burned it out" from the official iso avaliable from: this page with the

Code: Select all

dd if=<ISO> of=/dev/sdb

The usb was empty and checked for errors before the "burning"

can you show us your equivalent of the menu.1st file.

If you mean the boot menu then it's the standard one... I haven't edited any of the GRUB entry

I don't know what's wrong, but these are just general trouble shooting steps to try to narrow it down, or at least for me to be able to set up to duplicate it for Fred.

I don't know neither. It's starange that suddenly, while normal usage, it looses a support of a disk or "think" that it's partition table got damaged, causing to seein it's structure as "unreorganized" or throwing I/O errors, with vanish after the power off and restart

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

I don't know neither. It's starange that suddenly, while normal usage, it looses a support of a disk or "think" that it's partition table got damaged, causing to seein it's structure as "unreorganized" or throwing I/O errors, with vanish after the power off and restart

I hate to say it, but that sounds like the USB drive is failing. Can you do a regular frugal install to your hard drive instead?

Return to “UbuntuDogs”