Nixie Clock -- Version 1.64

Moderator: Forum moderators

galbi

Nixie Clock -- Version 1.64

Post by galbi »

This simple little desktop clock displays the current date and time in a 'nixie tube' styled display in various time formats that you can customize. (For those of you into old 1960's vacuum tube display technology).
http://seriss.com/people/erco/unixtools/nixieclock/
mikewalsh

Re: Nixie Clock -- Version 1.64

Post by mikewalsh »

@ galbi:-

Hey, I like that! Veeery neat.....

Here's the pre-compiled 64-bit binary of the most recent version running in Xenialpup64:-

[Click to enlarge]

You can change the time format; there's a whole bunch of alternatives. Or you can set your own custom $string with strftime:-

https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/ma ... ime.3.html

.....if you want something different to the default options. The .config file is in /root; /root/.nixieclock.

It doesn't say as much, but I get the distinct impression this thing uses Python? Could be wrong; may just be GTK, with a bunch of pre-determined static figure images, along the lines of how Micko did pmcputemp.. Whatever, wherever you position it on the desktop, and whatever format you choose, it remembers this when you restart it.

Anybody have any ideas how you could make this show on all desktops? Currently, it only shows on one of 'em.....a legacy, I would guess, of the fact that this latest version was built back in 2012, primarily for Windows. In those days, Windoze only had a single desktop anyway, so this would have been a 'non-issue' for them.....

Still; very neat. I've always liked the old Nixie clocks, being something of an amateur horologist.....(look it up!)

Mike. :thumbup2: :D

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Utilities”