Screen Resolution With Old GPU's

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

AQUAR

Screen Resolution With Old GPU's

Post by AQUAR »

Been ages since I last posted about my "efforts" in the "old forum" about getting native monitor resolutions when using puppies.
Many years ago I was using macpup which with some modelines in Xorg.cfg provided what I wanted (1920 x 1080).
With macpup, the older kernel played nicely with my radeon HD 5670 GPU, meaning no problem with kernel mode switching and the Xserver ati driver combo.

Fast forward to bionic pup, fossa pup, vanilla pup and all of them need radeon.modeset=0 for the same HD 5670 GPU, allowing kernel modesetting just leads to a black screen.
When preventing kernel mode setting the only X driver that works with these puppies is the good ol VESA driver. The VESA driver doesn't know about video outputs (just defines a default output) and modeline setting to a default output just doesn't work (presume VESA standard resolutions are the only ones allowed). Of course Xrandr is totally useless in this configuration.

When I load macpup it still works the same, so no problem with the GPU card (works great with windows as well).

Gave up in the end and replaced the old HD 5670 with a secondhand Nvidea GT 1030 and all works good (better than ever really).

Here is the thing, I have an even older AMD radeon HD 3600 series on my "internet" PC, so for fun I tried to boot the above puppies on that.
And it works fine with radeon.modeset=1, so modesetting accepted, loads kernel driver radeon and X driver ati (screen resolution choices very paltry though).
But with the ati driver I can use a modeline to output 1920 x 1080 to a detected video output (DVI-1) and I can also use Xrandr to create a session screen resolution of 1920 x 1080.

I don't get it:
The HD 5670 (evergreen GPU and terascale 2 architecture) is supposed to be compatible with kernel mode setting, seems it was with older kernels but not later ones.
The HD 3600 (RV670 and terascale 1 architecture) dates back to 2007, didn't check if it was capable of kernel mode setting, presumed it was to old for this but it works.
If I radeon.modeset=0 with the HD 3600 the behavior is as per the HD 5670 (ie kernel driver - radeon and X driver - can only be VESA).

Be interested if anyone got the HD 5670 to work without radeon.modeset=0 - I tried to configure Xorg.cfg with the ati driver (not blacklisted anywhere) and restart with radeon.modeset=1 but blackscreen is the only result. I still think I am missing something simple in setting up a working configuration to get a native screen resolution with this GPU.

Last edited by AQUAR on Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
mikewalsh

Re: Screen Resolution With Old GPU's

Post by mikewalsh »

Hi, @AQUAR . :welcome: back again!

Me, I have no experience of discrete AMD/ATI GPUs at all.....and only quite recent experience with Nvidia GPUs, having purchased my first one ever when I replaced the current "big" HP desktop rig in early 2020. (It's only an Asus GeForce GT710 'passive-cooler', although it works very well for what I need, outputting to a 22" 1920x1080 monitor. I'm sorta thinking about maybe getting a GT1030 myself.)

Are you not getting any joy at all with the 'radeon' kernel module driver? From what I understand, it's well-supported and pretty mature by now...

?????

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

AQUAR

Re: Screen Resolution With Old GPU's

Post by AQUAR »

Absolutely no joy with the Radeon kernel mode driver at all, but I am still a noob so probably someone with more experience in the process to configure these drivers might have answers (just didn't find much with DR GOOGLE - except confusion).

The Nvidea GT 1030 beats the AMD HD 5670 by a good margin in every department
You would even get a bit more of an "upgrade" to a GT 710.

When I finally stopped trying to get the HD 5670 to give me the screen resolution that I wanted (actually needed for online banking) I just bought a few secondhand GPU cards and one was the nvidea GT 1030 and another one was the nvidea GT 650 ti (not a bad basic GPU card either). The GT 1030 is passive cooled one from ASUS and doesn't need any supplemental power from a 6 pin plug. For the retail price I am impressed (but I only paid $8 bucks for it).

One thing I don't like about the Nvidea GPU cards is that the boot screen only appears on one video output (DVI-D preferential to HDMI). Was quite an issue as I have 2 monitors and I have to switch the power off to the "wrong" monitor to see the boot screen on my primary monitor. Not an issue with AMD GPU cards as they output to all video outputs.

Return to “Users”