FossaPup64 9.5 - lid - suspend / lock / password ?

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

kris777

FossaPup64 9.5 - lid - suspend / lock / password ?

Post by kris777 »

Does anyone know how to make the suspend option work on FossaPup64 9.5 when the lid of the laptop is closed? and that after waking up from the suspend option, the lock with the access password will be activated. I have a very old Samsung R780 laptop and the only thing that works is the power button that shuts down the system.
when i run the command in terminal i get:

Code: Select all

root# ls /proc/acpi/button/lid/
LID0

root# cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
Device	S-state	  Status   Sysfs node
GLAN	  S4	*disabled
RP04	  S3	*disabled  pci:0000:00:1c.3
EHC1	  S1	*enabled   pci:0000:00:1d.0
USB1	  S1	*disabled
USB3	  S1	*disabled
EHC2	  S1	*enabled   pci:0000:00:1a.0
USB5	  S1	*disabled
PWRB	  S4	*enabled   platform:PNP0C0C:00

In EasyOS, the option works ...although with great difficulties and searching for a solution. Maybe my laptop has some non-standard settings?
viewtopic.php?t=8981
But in FossaPup64 9.5 the acpi settings are completely different

Regards

bigpup

Re: FossaPup64 9.5 - lid - suspend / lock / password ?

Post by bigpup »

Fossapup64 9.5 is installed on what drive?
Internal drive or USB drive?
What type drive?

Does anything happen when you close the lid?

Note:
EasyOS is not Puppy Linux.
So what may work in it is most likely not going to work in Puppy Linux.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

kris777

Post by kris777 »

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 14cd:1212 Super Top microSD card reader (SY-T18)
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0ac8:c342 Z-Star Microelectronics Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0a5c:219b Broadcom Corp. Bluetooth 2.1 Device
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c077 Logitech, Inc. M105 Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

My system is installed on a bootable USB drive with the so-called encryption option, i.e. with a password / LUKS partition.
The lock option launched by clicking on the icon on the desktop works OK

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 12)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor PCI Express x16 Root Port (rev 12)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 06)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev 06)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev 06)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a6)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM55 Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 06)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT216M [GeForce GT 330M] (rev a2)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GT216 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Yukon Optima 88E8059 [PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Controller with AVB] (rev 11)
3f:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers (rev 02)
3f:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 02)
3f:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 02)
3f:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 1st Generation Core i3/5/7 Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 02)
3f:02.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 1st Generation Core i3/5/7 Processor Reserved (rev 02)
3f:02.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 1st Generation Core i3/5/7 Processor Reserved (rev 02)

after closing the lid of the laptop there is no reaction even the led does not flash.
for the experiment, I executed the following command in the terminal:

echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

But the only effect was a black screen and even if it was suspend there was nothing you could do. No buttons work / power also... system as if it's frozen and only hard reset helps :-)
maybe my laptop is too old for standard settings?

Marv

Post by Marv »

kris777 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:07 pm

My system is installed on a bootable USB drive with the so-called encryption option, i.e. with a password / LUKS partition.
The lock option launched by clicking on the icon on the desktop works OK

after closing the lid of the laptop there is no reaction even the led does not flash.

for the experiment, I executed the following command in the terminal:

echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

But the only effect was a black screen and even if it was suspend there was nothing you could do. No buttons work / power also... system as if it's frozen and only hard reset helps :-)
maybe my laptop is too old for standard settings?

In this, and most pups, there is code in /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh to prevent suspending if a usb drive is mounted. Is yours, once you are booted? Use of a savefile or folder on it would make it stay mounted. That taboo can be circumvented but doing so may or may not cause problems on awaking depending on hardware/kernel.

The command I would try in terminal if I were troubleshooting would be: echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

My hardware is intel i5 based circa 2012 and lidsuspend works correctly (I boot from SSD) in FossaPup64 9.5.

I'm currently in an install of @ozsouths' fossapup64-9.5-med-1 run with an LXDE/PCManFM/MyConfigs ydrv and no savefile so whatever drive partition I boot from is unmounted after boot but my data partition (on SSD) stays mounted as it holds the portables, profiles etc. Stock lidsuspend works fine there on my hardware also.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

kris777

Post by kris777 »

it's hard to diagnose ... but I read on the net that the suspend service is also controversial because of the power consumption and sometimes it can be harmful to the battery. Well, this service is not so necessary, especially with the disk / flash drive / usb ;)

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@kris777 - the linked info sorted my suspend issues with ubuntu derivative pups - worked so well I put it in my fossa64-med pup: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3904&p=35872#p35872 ,

kris777

Post by kris777 »

Thanks for any info about the suspend option... but it doesn't work for me, there is no response to closing the lid of the laptop or clicking on suspend.sh. Probably it's the fault of my laptop's hardware configuration / bios.
Maybe the kernel doesn't work properly with my laptop regarding the suspend option. :roll:
But strange that on this laptop / Linux Mint 21 / SSD-hard disk the suspend option works OK and also on EasyOS (kernel 5.15.117) / usb-pendrive :lol:
puppypc67 (kernel 5.4.53)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

What happens in other Linux operating systems (EasyOS is not a Puppy Linux version) has nothing to do with how it works by design in this OS.

If I understand your answer to my question about Fossapup64 9.5 is installed on what type drive?

You said it is installed on a USB stick type drive.

If correct.

You are running in pupmode 13

Where writes to the save are limited and by default are set to happen at specific times.

Suspend is blocked from working to make sure that writes to the save are not tried when in suspend.

To see what pupmode it is running in.

Pup-Sysinfo -> Sys-Files -> PupState

Forum Global Moderator

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

bigpup wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:14 am

Suspend is blocked from working to make sure that writes to the save are not tried when in suspend.

If the system is suspended, the script that saves periodically doesn't run, so this doesn't make sense.

Fossapup (and anything older) is very old at this point and it includes many known bugs.

I think that whoever wrote that line (maybe @shinobar?), which makes suspend.sh exit and do nothing if a flash drive is mounted, had some issues with USB and power saving that make USB disappear when the computer wakes up. I haven't seen this for many years. I removed this line in https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/2984, because inability to suspend your computer is a big price to pay in a distro designed for running from flash drives, and I still haven't found a single computer+flash drive combination that needs the original behavior.

In addition, Fossapup has a bug: if the screen is locked, suspend doesn't work. It was fixed in https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/3192.

Also, Fossapup and many current-day Puppy releases (!!!) suffer from two bugs in xlock, both fixed in https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/2953:
1. If the user never locked the screen before, suspend doesn't work. The computer stays on and shows a password prompt when opened. Locking the screen once (through the menu entry) and specifying a password fixes this. This sounds very close to the issue described here, if I understand correctly. With the fix, suspend works out-of-the-box, without having to lock the screen at least once.
2. If the user closes the password prompt shown on first use without entering any password, screen locking and suspend don't work (xlock is broken) until ~/.xlock is deleted. With the fix, empty ~/.xlock is treated like missing ~/.xlock: the password prompt appears again.

kris777

Post by kris777 »

I thought most users install puppy-linux on pendrive/usb .... mostly :)
information from PupState

▶—— /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE ——◀

• PUPMODE=13
 • PDEV1='sdb1'
 • DEV1FS='vfat'
 • PUPSFS='sdb1,vfat,/puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs'
 • PUPSAVE='sdb1,vfat,/fossapup64save_luks-kris1967.4fs'
 • PMEDIA=''

ATADRIVES is all internal ide/pata/sata drives, excluding optical, excluding usb...
 • ATADRIVES='sda '

ATAOPTICALDRIVES is list of non-usb optical drives...
 • ATAOPTICALDRIVES=''

These directories are unionfs/aufs layers in /initrd...
 • RW_LAYER='/pup_rw'
 • SAVE_LAYER='/pup_ro1'
 • PUP_LAYER='/pup_ro2'

The partition that has the fossapup64save file is mounted here...
 • PUP_HOME='/mnt/dev_save'
(in /initrd) ...note, /mnt/home is a link to it.

This file has extra kernel drivers and firmware...
 • ZDRV='sdb1,vfat,/zdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs'
 • FDRV='sdb1,vfat,/fdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs'
 • ADRV='sdb1,vfat,/adrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs'
 • YDRV=''

Partition no. override on boot drive to which session is (or will be) saved...
 • PSAVEMARK=''
 • PSAVEPART=''
 • PSAVEDIR=''
 • PSUBDIR=''
 • PUNIONFS='aufs'
 • DOIMODS='yes'
 • DOMIBS='no'

▶—— Common Pupmodes ——◀

PUPMODE 02 : full install
PUPMODE 03 : full install, flash drive
PUPMODE 05 : first boot [or pfix=ram]
PUPMODE 06 : pup_save is a partition
PUPMODE 07 : ditto, but flash drive
PUPMODE 12 : normal running puppy
PUPMODE 13 : ditto, but flash drive
PUPMODE 77 : multisession cd/dvd [13+64]

I think it's a bigger problem with the suspend ....
if it's that hard or something else...if there are other reasons why the suspend option won't work in standard puppylinux releases then it can be left alone. I don't know much about this and I have no idea if it's good or bad if suspen is used a lot?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

As dimkr is telling us all.

The newest versions of Puppy, that are built using the latest version of Woo-CE (the Puppy builder).

How suspend now works has been updated and had some bug fixes.

I guess you could try applying some of the code changes that dimkr is giving links to.

Maybe this would fix Fossapup64 9.5 to work with suspend better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the system is suspended, the script that saves periodically doesn't run, so this doesn't make sense.

Writing to the save at a specific set time, is done automatically, and nothing is displayed, showing writing to the save is being done. (some Puppy versions may provide a popup message)
But even if message pops up about saving.
Would most people know not to go into suspend while saving is being done?
Or the message could pop up just as they closed the lid on the laptop!

The question at the time was more about: what would happen if the save was being written to, when it went into suspend?

Would the writing process just stop?

Would the stuff still in the save ramdisk still be there?

What if it was in the middle of transferring from the save ramdisk a big file that suspend would stop in the middle of the transfer?
what would happen to that file?
Broken into parts that never get put together?

If auto updating the save, from what is in the save ramdisk, cannot be done at that set time. The time is every so many minutes of system operation, and resets counting off that time period, each time save is updated.
Does coming out of suspend reset that time or continue using it?

No one ever spent the time to see what exactly would happen.

The easy answer was to not let it go into suspend, if running from an install on a USB stick.

Forum Global Moderator

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

The writing continues when the machine wakes up, it's simple as that. If the flash drive was disconnected while the system was sleeping, it will (of course) fail.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

This is specifically concerning having save setup to empty the save ramdisk at a set specific time period.

In the days of computers having low amounts of RAM.
This writing from the save ramdisk to the save file/folder, could be done to clear some room to add stuff into the save ramdisk.
This only relies on how much free space is in the save ramdisk. Nothing to do with setting a time to do it.
I think that feature is still in the code, but not really needed, when large amounts of ram, let the save ramdisk be much bigger.

This has been tested to work as you say?

None of the possible issues, I stated, could or will happen?

With older and newer versions of Puppy still available to use.
What happens in the newest versions, is not what may happen in older versions. :roll:
That problem we see everyday, when trying to figure out issues and the fix.

Forum Global Moderator

kris777

Post by kris777 »

I tested the latest release of Bookworm Pup64, and surprisingly, suspend works fine on my laptop with this version. :thumbup2:
But there are other serious errors, such as cannot create an encrypted LUKS container at the first login ...
because although everything seems to be OK, after a reboot the password never matches
I checked twice to be sure. :thumbdown:

Return to “Fossapup64”