Vanilla Dpup 9.3.17: blank screen after restarting X

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

stevie pup

Vanilla Dpup 9.3.17: blank screen after restarting X

Post by stevie pup »

Decided to give Vanilla Dpup a spin today, unsuccessfully I'm afraid. Booted it from USB stick that I had created with Rufus, and made initial settings as normal, language, timezone, etc. Then the "restart X" message came up as usual, clicked on that and the screen went blank, and stayed blank. Went off and made a coffee, came back and the screen was still blank, nothing had happened.

Any ideas as to what's gone wrong? Have I done something silly, or missed something?

Thanks

dimkr

Re: Vanilla Dpup Blank Screen

Post by dimkr »

Have you tried to press any key? Vanilla Dpup supports DPMS (power saving).

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

dimkr wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:58 pm

Yes I pressed the "enter" key few times and pressed the space bar couple of times. Also clicked the mouse few times as well. I will probably give it another go in a couple of days, see if same thing happens again.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @stevie pup. In the interest to replicate, could you share 2 pieces of info on your VPup test?

1. Which version; namely

• v9.2+

• v9.3+

• v10.+

• v11.+

Note: the '+' means the specific version number you have this problem as each version is a little different from the other versions.

2. Are you booting via BIOS/Legacy or booting via UEFI

Will try to replicate if you supply the info.

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

Clarity wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:48 pm

In the interest to replicate, could you share 2 pieces of info on your VPup test?
Which version;
Are you booting via BIOS/Legacy or booting via UEFI

I've checked the ISO file and it's 9.3.17. Booting via Legacy BIOS, my laptops are too old (2009) to have UEFI. :)

Thanks

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

stevie pup wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:30 pm
dimkr wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:58 pm

Yes I pressed the "enter" key few times and pressed the space bar couple of times. Also clicked the mouse few times as well. I will probably give it another go in a couple of days, see if same thing happens again.

I remember that I had the same problem when I tested 9.3.13. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace got me out of the blank screen to a normal terminal display.

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

MochiMoppel wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:59 pm

I remember that I had the same problem when I tested 9.3.13. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace got me out of the blank screen to a normal terminal display.

Oh I'm so glad when someone else has had similar problem, at least it goes some way to showing it's not just down to my stupidity. :lol:

Anyway, gave it another try and same thing happened again. So came out of it, started again and created save without restarting X. Rebooted and all is ok.

d-pupp

Post by d-pupp »

I have had issues when using Vanilladpup on new setup if I tried to do too much before I rebooted and created a save folder.
My impression was as I have a low memory pc 4 Gb that the os was running out of resources. It would then act up often freezing. Sometimes I could get to a terminal screen and sometimes it was a hard power off.
So now I just run a quick config and reboot make my save folder and then continue my configuration after the reboot. I have had no issues sense I started doing that.

gychang

Post by gychang »

d-pupp wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:41 pm

I have had issues when using Vanilladpup on new setup if I tried to do too much before I rebooted and created a save folder.
My impression was as I have a low memory pc 4 Gb that the os was running out of resources. It would then act up often freezing. Sometimes I could get to a terminal screen and sometimes it was a hard power off.
So now I just run a quick config and reboot make my save folder and then continue my configuration after the reboot. I have had no issues sense I started doing that.

Yes, I had similar problems and I have 8G of RAM, freq reboot when first installing/setup seems to eliminate this problem.

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

stevie pup wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:45 pm
Clarity wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:48 pm

In the interest to replicate, could you share 2 pieces of info on your VPup test?
Which version;
Are you booting via BIOS/Legacy or booting via UEFI

I've checked the ISO file and it's 9.3.17. Booting via Legacy BIOS, my laptops are too old (2009) to have UEFI. :)

Thanks

I've just downloaded the v9.3.17 ISO file to my SG2D USB. Attempted the Vanilla boot choosing 'RAM only' from its boot menu.

The distro boot STOPS!!! Typing 'debugsave' at the stopped prompt, creates a log of what happened.

Vanilla development might want to take a look. I am suspecting an change in WoofCE INIT that is causing problems. Hopefully @dimkr sees this and takes a look.

see attached.

Attachments
misc.log
(5.37 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
dmesg.txt
(49.61 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
bootinit.log
(116 Bytes) Downloaded 21 times
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

This file is missing from above.