HOW TO start different Firefox sessions in different desktops? (SOLVED)

Moderator: Forum moderators

pp4mnklinux

HOW TO start different Firefox sessions in different desktops? (SOLVED)

Post by pp4mnklinux »

:welcome:

It is possible this option can be done using Firefox options, but ...

F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI has got 4 different desktops by default.

A.- Imagine that I'm at destop number 1, with Firefox open at page https/www.google.com.

B.- At desktop number 2, I'm using claws mail, checking my e'mails.

C.- One of my mails, have got a link to puppy forum, so when I click on it, is going to open this page using the default browser (FireFox)

D.- But... when I click nothing happen at destop 2, Firefox doesn't start and I click and click one and another time on mi mail link.

D.- When I think that nothing works and I go to desktop 1 , I feel surprised when I see Firefox with dozens of tabs with the link I clicked on at destop 2.

So...How can I make Firefox open a new sesión browser at each tab??

Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

~

F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI ====> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

MochiMoppel

Re: Do yo know how to start different Firefox sessions in different desktops?

Post by MochiMoppel »

Your problem describes a general problem, so you might get more attention and response when you post in one of the general forums.

I occasionally experienced the same problem. I would click on a "Help" button, expect a dialog but nothing happens. Instead my browser on a different desktop would open an URL. but I wouldn't notice.

Try the "Help" button in PeasyScan or some of the other Peasy tools. What happens here in F96-CE: The browser (Firefox) jumps to the current desktop, Though I would prefer to jump to the browser instead of having the browser come to my desk the problem is solved for me. If this PeasyScan button works for you too, but claws mail does not, then it might be a specific problem of claws mail or XFCE.

mikewalsh

Re: Do you know how to start different Firefox sessions in different desktops?

Post by mikewalsh »

@pp4mnklinux :-

Um.....basically, you can't. (And you're not the first to ask this, not by a LONG chalk).

As with any browser, you can create multiple profiles. However, from my own experience, you cannot run more than one at a time.....not if they're going to be working from the same browser installation.

I've never really understood why, but 'zilla-based browsers seem more susceptible to this than the Chromium 'clones'. Firefox does NOT like having multiple versions of itself open at the same time.....even when those versions are self-contained, as is the case with the 'portable' builds.

The only way I've ever found that you can run a different browser on each desktop is to open multiple 'portable' browsers, one per workspace. It's perfectly possible to open multiple versions of the same browser with the 'clones'; being self-contained, they won't interfere with each other. The Chromium code-base has always permitted opening a second, dedicated 'window' at the same time as an existing session of the browser anyway. I've never been able to duplicate this with Firefox, but then it's not my main browser.....so I don't spend anywhere near as much time investigating what it can & can't do.

---------------------------------------------

However, I will just add this. The above scenario is perfectly 'do-able' with plenty of resources.....my 32 GB lets me do all sorts of stuff that someone with only a few GB wouldn't be able to. It's not a practical solution for everyone, because those individual browsers each occupy a fair chunk of RAM. When you don't have much to play with, you do of course have to watch what you're doing with it.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi @mikewalsh :

As you said, I can open multiple sessions with a portable browser (slimjet in this case). That is not what I want (I continue trying and testing) but it is the best for now.

So I can work with different internet sites in each desktop.

Thanks a lot (EVERYBODY) for your comments.-

~

F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI ====> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:37 am

As with any browser, you can create multiple profiles. However, from my own experience, you cannot run more than one at a time.....not if they're going to be working from the same browser installation.

Why not? For Firefox use the -no-remote option:
firefox -no-remote -profile /path/to/profileA
firefox -no-remote -profile /path/to/profileB

You have enough RAM for this, I don't.

Of course running only 1 browser instance, with a browser window on each desktop, would be possible and more economical, but I'm still not sure if this is what @pp4mnklinux is asking for

Return to “F96CE-XFCE-FUSILLI”