Steam blank screen issue

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

sawyer

Steam blank screen issue

Post by sawyer »

Hello! I'm running the most recent version of puppy linux, "FossaPup64 UbuntuLTS20.04 compatible Official Pup (64bit)", live from usb/ram. I am trying to install steam, which I did through quick pet, but when I run steam, what looks to be the login window shows up but doesn't show any text. I'll attach a screenshot of what it looks like below, as well as the output from when I run "steam > output.txt".

I am new to puppy linux, with some beginner/intermediate familiarity with linux distros in general. Any help is appreciated!

Code: Select all

File "/usr/bin/steamdeps", line 316
    print " | ".join( [ str(package) for package in row ] )
          ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
steam.sh[12630]: Running Steam on puppy 9 64-bit
steam.sh[12630]: STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
setup.sh[12698]: Steam runtime environment up-to-date!
steam.sh[12630]: Steam client's requirements are satisfied
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk3-nocsd.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
Loaded SDL version 3.0.0-765-gc4db0725e
GetWin32Stats: display was not open yet, good
steamwebhelper.sh[12841]: Runtime for steamwebhelper: defaulting to /root/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/steam-runtime-heavy
steamwebhelper.sh[12841]: Using CEF sandbox (try with -no-cef-sandbox if this fails)
CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread took 0 milliseconds to initialize

(steam:12819): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 19:10:54.186: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(steam:12819): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 19:10:54.186: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
CreateBoundSocket: failed to create socket, error EAFNOSUPPORT (97)
PulseAudio connect failed (used only for Mic Volume Control) with error: Access denied
Failed to init SteamVR because it isn't installed
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk3-nocsd.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
INTEL-MESA: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete
Vulkan missing requested extension 'VK_KHR_surface'.
Vulkan missing requested extension 'VK_KHR_xlib_surface'.
BInit - Unable to initialize Vulkan!
[2023-03-08 19:10:53] Startup - updater built Feb 14 2023 00:47:09
[2023-03-08 19:10:53] Startup - Steam Client launched with: '/root/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam'
[2023-03-08 19:10:53] Loading cached metrics from disk (/root/.local/share/Steam/package/steam_client_metrics.bin)
[2023-03-08 19:10:53] Failed to load cached hosts file (File 'update_hosts_cached.vdf' not found), using defaults
[2023-03-08 19:10:53] Using the following download hosts for Public, Realm steamglobal
[2023-03-08 19:10:53] 1. http://media.steampowered.com, /client/, Realm 'steamglobal', weight was 1, source = 'baked in'
[2023-03-08 19:10:53] Verifying installation...
[2023-03-08 19:10:53] Verification complete
XRRGetOutputInfo Workaround: initialized with override: 0 real: 0xf3d54910
XRRGetCrtcInfo Workaround: initialized with override: 0 real: 0xf3d53140

(steam:12819): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 19:11:05.741: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(steam:12819): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 19:11:05.741: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(steam:12819): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 19:11:05.741: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(steam:12819): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 19:11:05.741: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
[2023-03-08 19:11:05] Shutdown

Link to screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/lKCLi6C

sawyer

Re: Steam blank screen issue

Post by sawyer »

I've gotten a workaround to fix this -- hopefully if anyone else has this issue this will help them.
Instead of installing from quickpup or the package manager, I downloaded the tar.gz file directly (look up 'steam on linux' or something like that). Then, I added an alias into .bashrc to change the command to run it:

alias steam="run-as-spot ~/Downloads/steam-launcher/steam

I'll probably end up moving the steam launcher out of, you know, my downloads folder, but it works for the time being. Installing games right now to make sure everything works, but so far I've gotten a lot farther than before.
Notice, I use 'run-as-spot' instead of just executing the script because steam doesn't allow itself to be run as sudo, which is sort of a problem in puppy, as you're basically always sudo according to steam, so this is the workaround.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

It is possible this is not the reason, because I talk from memory, but it is possible (other more prepared user can help you more) that the reason is that the problem is that u are using the x64 bits puppy version, and STEAM was developed to be used in x32.

If you need this software a lot , you can install it at another frugal puppy version.

Wait for responses, because it could be your graphics drivers are not up to date. Steam requires a recent version of OpenGL, which may not be supported by older graphics drivers..

Have a nice day

~

F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI ====> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

run-as-spot is the normal way to get around a program refusing to run as root.

So you did the correct thing doing that.

For sure you need to have the 32bit compatibility sfs loaded, so Fossapup64 9.5 has the needed stuff to run 32bit software.
You can get it from Quickpet -> Useful
Have this loaded before you do anything about Steam!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to add what I did to get Steam running in Fossapup64 9.5

Went to steams web site.
Top right is install button.
Clicked on that and it offered a download of steam_latest.deb.
Downloaded it and left clicked on it to install.
It puts Steam in menu -> Fun
Puts a steam.desktop file in /usr/share/applications

To get it to run.
Opened the steam.desktop file in a text editor.
Edited the exec= to this:

Exec=run-as-spot /usr/bin/steam

Dragged and dropped the steam.desktop file on the desktop.
Use this to run Steam.

First time you run it.
Steam will go thru an update.
After the update make sure the Fossapup64 save is updated.

Click on the Steam desktop icon and it should now run offering the login screen.

Seems to not want to run by using the menu -> Fun -> Steam
Have not tried to figure out what it needs to run as spot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have found that the older Linux games work very well in Puppy Linux.
Ones that are not real graphic intensive ones.
Plus a lot of them are free to use.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

With the Puppy Linux Palemoon browsers I cannot post anything at Steam while using a browser.

Do you now need to use the app to do this or is it a browser issue?
Acthel

Post by Acthel »

The solution is to run steam from the terminal with this parameter
-no-cef-sandbox

And it would look like this:

steam -no-cef-sandbox

sorry for the bad translation :thumbup2:

Return to “Beginners Help”