Some questions about using KLV-Airedale

Kennel Linux Void-based

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Re: Some questions about using KLV-Airedale

Post by Clarity »

@wiak I thank you allowing us to see your steps to SUCCESS and the advice of the things that could hamper booting a KL series distro. Your depiction, IMHO, is EXCELLENT.

Further and MOST important is that YOU HAVE GIVEN THIS FORUM A VIDEO for use that leads to success in booting ISO files via the Ventoy "ISO lister" USB! That video is an excellent way for a user to follow visually seeing successful results.

Wonderful documentation for member use!

AlexOceanic

Post by AlexOceanic »

Clarity wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:12 pm

@AlexOceanic glad to see you have gotten your PC to allow the behavior you are seeing. I apologize to you ofr NOT going forward with my commitment BECAUSE I was suspecting hardware issues over the software steps and was trying to play with UEFI settings on my old PCs to arrive at what you were reporting. It seems from your message that you have sorted out your PCs settings such that it would behave to allow USB booting that you now have.

So, you NOW have a USB that you can drop ISO files on it in that folder; and your PC with your USB will afford the behavior you expect.

I ask that you consider adding other KL distros to see them boot to desktop as well as some of the items i suggested to you before. IN particular, add the SG2D ISO file to the same BOOTISOS folder with ALL of your ISO files.

I, personally, have the SG2D present because some of the modern forum distros will not boot to desktop via Verntoy, yet they will boot to desktop from the SG2D Menu. Thus for all of the forum distros, I have/do successful boot all of them from the forum developers via my single Ventoy USB stick containing all ISO I use.

AlexOceanic wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:28 pm

Kali is installed on the HDD and boots from Grub I believe
(Its a customised boot screen but allows me to choose either Kali, Kali advanced or Windows 8 - its actually Win 7 but its recognised as Win 8 by Grub etc I think)

Did you know, that both Ventoy as well as SG2D will show AND boot (if you choose) any installed OSes you have on your PC. Thus from each of these 'ISO listers' they will ALSO boot your other OSes you have installed. Thus your Ventoy USB can be a universal booter for everything on your PC including the "installed" OSes.

Enjoy the discoveries you find to make life simpler and speedier.

:thumbup2:

Well you spent time trying to help me and provided a number of ISO's to try so I'm not complaining mate.

I'll give SG2D a try as recommended too - love the idea of having a number of your favourite OS's with your data in the "pc in your pocket" :D

I think I've been set up with 10GB of data to save to so need to understand how to increase that to the full 30GB capacity of the partition on this Ventoy/KLV USB at some stage.

Having enough fun learning all about xbps at the moment - lol

I don't suppose you'd know how I might revert to the default void package repository after installing and then removing the void non-free repository in Terminal?
i.e. XBPS still searches for software in the non free repository after I had removed it and refreshed the cache etc

You just reminded me too - I tried booting the OS's on the HDD from Ventoy and it failed - I'll need to retry...

Thanks

Alex

A lie is always a lie and the truth is always the truth,
No matter who says it...

wiak

Post by wiak »

Glad you made progress with successful boot. I don't know a lot about Ventoy under the hood actually. I just found how to get it to boot via a suitable grub.cfg file placed inside the iso along with some special code I put in the initrd.

I thus have no idea what the difference is between 'normal boot' amd 'grub boot' in Ventoy menu. I would have thought normal boot would have treated the iso image like it as if it was a normal live CD booting, whereas ventoy grub boot presumably looks for that specially constructed grub.cfg. However, on my computer, as the video I uploaded shows normal boot also successfully found grub.cfg so no difference for me. Interesting you do find that difference but that mystery remains a mystery to me, but doesn't matter as long as you have success.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “KLV-Airedale”