Xfce terminal is user friendly.

Kennel Linux Void-based

Moderator: Forum moderators

geo_c

Xfce terminal is user friendly.

Post by geo_c »

I find using the Xfce terminal really luxurious after using urxvt for so long. Though Xfce has some functions and navigation that I had to get used to, and the key bindings are a little different than the pups in which I'm acclimated, it's very nice.

I also wanted to point out that my escapades with frescobaldi have taught me a few things about the very bloated and overly complex nature of graphical applications. Since frescobaldi wasn't running great after updating the Void system of KLV, I decided to get a workflow going with lilypond in the terminal. It wasn't hard to do, and the fact of the matter is that the only thing missing from editing and viewing lilypond files and pdf output from the terminal in KLV is the lilypond command suggestions frescobaldi has built in. But I'm now finding the trade off is well worth it.

It actually amazes me now how much Qt and python had to be installed just to add a few meager functions in frescobaldi, which basically runs lilypond files in a terminal and gives a pdf viewer window. With me only installing two or three packages to run lilypond, and using Xfce terminal and epdf to use lilypond, I get basically the same screen layout and workflow. What's a real bonus is the fact that micro text editor colorschemes the lilypond files better than the custom scheme that I had to work out myself in frescobaldi.

Last edited by geo_c on Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

williwaw

Re: Xfce terminal is user friendly.

Post by williwaw »

looks nice. have you tried to install Xfce-Terminal in any other pups?

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

williwaw wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:24 am

looks nice. have you tried to install Xfce-Terminal in any other pups?

I installed the Xfce desktop in vanillapup9.2.17. But since I'm busy working this Christmas season I've been spending all my time in KLV and jackalpup. The last 3 or 4 days I haven't booted jackalpup. It looks like I'll be using KLV for most things except pro-audio. Although I may use my KLV experimental install to see what pro-audio applications I can get running in the next couple months.

I have micro text editor in KLV and also tilde text editor. Micro is great except for one thing, it doesn't have a file browser, so I have to type the file names to open them.

geo_c

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

I installed xfce-terminal in vanilla, although I did not install the xfce desktop envrionment.
the deb and the executable is named xfce4-terminal. seems like it has a nice gui for configs

not sure how you got the split screen with the pdf viewer as shown in the pic. is that a function of the xfce DE? or perhaps you are tiling the desktop somehow?

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

williwaw wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:35 pm

not sure how you got the split screen with the pdf viewer as shown in the pic. is that a function of the xfce DE? or perhaps you are tiling the desktop somehow?

That's just two windows side by side, one is the terminal, and I open the pdf from ranger with epdf. The second window is epdf. Frescobaldi looks and functions almost identical to this, only the viewer is built in.

geo_c

Return to “KLV-Airedale”