pkg giving error on fossapup64 when trying to uninstall a program, while many programs have already been installed.

Post here if you feel others can duplicate your so discovered "bug"

Moderator: Forum moderators

user1234

pkg giving error on fossapup64 when trying to uninstall a program, while many programs have already been installed.

Post by user1234 »

I am currently on fassapup64. I was trying to uninstall few packages using pkg, but came upon this error which said

Code: Select all

ash: -le: argument expected
/usr/sbin/pkg: line 1: wc: Argument list too long

Currently I must have hundreds of programs installed on my computer. Once earlier I had encountered with this error, that time also when I had a lot of programs already installed.

This seems to be happening because pkg is calling a program and passing it a lot of arguments, that many that can't be handled by ash. I searched the internet and came over a solution (though I don't program in shell script, so I couldn't apply it on pkg).

Please check the issue.

Edit: I checked the exact number of programs installed using pkg li | wc -l. It is 516.
Also note that uninstalling programs using PPM doesn't give any issue.

Last edited by mikewalsh on Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Small spelling correction to title...

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

mistfire

Re: pkg giving error on fossapup64 when trying to uninstall a program, while many programs have already been installed.

Post by mistfire »

user1234 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:10 am

I am currently on fassapup64. I was trying to uninstall few packages using pkg, but came upon this error which said

Currently I must have hundreds of programs installed on my computer. Once earlier I had encountered with this error, that time also when I had a lot of programs already installed.

This seems to be happening because pkg is calling a program and passing it a lot of arguments, that many that can't be handled by ash. I searched the internet and came over a solution (though I don't program in shell script, so I couldn't apply it on pkg).

Please check the issue.

Edit: I checked the exact number of programs installed using pkg li | wc -l. It is 516.

Try using pkg2, the fork of sc0ttman's pkg
http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.p ... 176ed309f6

user1234

Re: pkg giving error on fossapup64 when trying to uninstall a program, while many programs have already been installed.

Post by user1234 »

mistfire wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:53 am

Please check the issue.

Can you please provide a link for it? And also wanted to confirm if using it would be safe with fossapup64?

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

user1234 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:57 am
mistfire wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:53 am

Please check the issue.

Can you please provide a link for it? And also wanted to confirm if using it would be safe with fossapup64?

Link here, that supposed to be safe because pkg2 works the same as pkg

Return to “Bug Reports”