Ventoy - How To Use A Save File On The USB

Moderator: Forum moderators

wizard

Ventoy - How To Use A Save File On The USB

Post by wizard »

This “how to” created using Ventoy 1.0.55 for Linux , run either VentoyGUI.i386 (32bit) or VentoyGUI.x86_64(64bit).

NOTE: this method tested on Fossapup64, DOES NOT WORK with Bionicpup 32 or 64

Create the Ventoy USB
-insert your USB
-run Ventoy
-click Option
-click Partition Configuration
-check Preserve some space at the end of the disk (this will be where your save file/folder will be)
-enter a size (GB or MB)
-click OK
-click Install
-click OK
-click OK
-click OK
-close Ventoy

ventoy1.jpg
ventoy1.jpg (23.97 KiB) Viewed 3642 times

Configure The Partitions
-click Menu>System>Gparted
-select the USB flash drive
-right click the unallocated entry
-click New
-choose the File system:
---use ext3 if Linux only (will let you use a Save Folder)
---use fat32 if you need to access with both Linux and MS Windows (Save File only)
-type in a Label for the partition
-click +Add
-right click the Ventoy partition
-click Format to
-click fat32
-click the green check mark in the menu bar to apply the changes
-close Gparted

gparted1.jpg
gparted1.jpg (46.13 KiB) Viewed 3642 times

Copy The ISO Files
In this example the Ventoy USB is sdb.
-open sdb1 in Rox
-make a BOOTISOS directory (this step is recommend, but not required)
-copy your ISO files into sdb1 or into BOOTISOS directory if you created it.

In this example the third partition is sdb3 (where the save file will be stored)
-boot Puppy using Ventoy
-when the Grub boot menu appears, you have to enter "edit mode", look for the correct key presses on the bottom of the grub menu.

(example using fossa64 9.5)
-when the Grub boot menu appears, press the "e" key twice (this enters edit mode, key presses may be different for other pups)
-press the space bar and then type: psave=sdb3
-press: enter
-press: b (may not be required)

ventoy-grub3.jpg
ventoy-grub3.jpg (76.84 KiB) Viewed 3588 times

When you shut down the save file or folder will be created in sdb3

Each time you boot, you must do this so the save file/folder will be loaded:
(example using fossa64 9.5)
-when the puppy boot menu appears, press the "e" key twice (this enters edit mode, key presses may be different for other pups)
-press the space bar and then type: psave=sdb3
-press: enter
-press: b (may not be required)

This method should work on most modern puppies (haven't tried old pups) and can be modified to use any other partition by just changing sdb3 to the desired path.

wizard

Last edited by wizard on Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big pile of OLD computers

rg66

Re: Ventoy - How To Use A Save File On The USB

Post by rg66 »

I made my ventoy disk with a third partition which I formatted to ext4 to use save folders.
I put my X-Slacko frugal folder on it as well as grldr (grub4dos-0.4.6a) and my menu.lst
Booted to ventoy, chose F4 local boot > Search and boot Grub4dos > picked my frugal install and that's it.
Don't need to boot from ISO and enter commands and it saves as normal.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Booting directly from ISO "IS" a Frugal boot. No need for any PUP Frugal setup anymore.

Try it @rg66 If you run into any issues booting the ISO file, PLEASE report here. It should find your save sessions as well. Especially if you took the suggested path of Keeping all your 'saves' in a common folder on your system.

Hope this post is helpful and useful.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@rg66

You have created a "hybrid" Ventoy and frugal Puppy installed USB. Ventoy's advantage is it will boot an ISO file without installing it (like your frugal install). If you are not using that Ventoy feature you really don't need it on the USB.

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

rg66

Post by rg66 »

@Clarity

Thanks, but I've been booting from ISO for years.

@wizard

I mostly use ventoy to install Windows, use partiton wizard etc........

cheers

tassuton

Post by tassuton »

Clarity wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:00 pm

Booting directly from ISO "IS" a Frugal boot. No need for any PUP Frugal setup anymore.

Try it @rg66 If you run into any issues booting the ISO file, PLEASE report here. It should find your save sessions as well. Especially if you took the suggested path of Keeping all your 'saves' in a common folder on your system.

Hope this post is helpful and useful.

@rg66
Can you give more instructions?

Where to get the file and how does the menu look like?
grldr (grub4dos-0.4.6a) and my menu.lst

I really like using puppy linux with save file and full customized puppy linux, but with ventoy it has being very not straightforward

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @tassuton

I hope this info is helpful.

Description
Ventoy is merely a vehicle to house and present your USB ISO files for selection and launch! (I strongly suggest you keep ALL of your ISO files on the Ventoy USB in folder "BOOTISOS". Reason: I will describe later but this housekeeping is beneficial and Ventoy will find all that are present there)

When booting the Ventoy USB AND you select the ISO file you want from your contents, Ventoy 'effectively' gets out of the way so that your PC will boot the distro you selected. If its a PUP or a DOG, it will boot and run as a Frugal...including following ALL of save-session activities you have come to know.

VENTOY USB Generation
The Ventoy development community provides 3 ways to create your Ventoy USB: It can be created by

• Running a Linux script

• Running a Windows program

• Creating a Ventoy Generation USB stick

This appeals to every user from every community of users as they can choose whichever manner they are comfortable with.

Once you have generated your USB stick, I recommend you immediately create the BOOTISOS folder and put ALL of your ISO files into it.

Ventoy Partition.jpg
Ventoy Partition.jpg (19.23 KiB) Viewed 2704 times

Next boot your the Ventoy USB, select any of your bootable ISO file and away you go. For many ISOs in the wild no matter what OS the ISO file was generated for, Ventoy will list and will launch it.

Be aware that some PUPs and DOGs will struggle during boot and will stop with various sorts of errors, while some will not WHEN BOOTED DIRECTLY FROM Ventoy. This is NOT a problem with Ventoy. AND, there is a solution that I recommend.

"Reason" as mentioned, above: Specific to PUPs and several other forum distros
Some forum distro releases will not behave as one expects when booting DIRECTLY from Ventoy.

There is a solution: - this applies to ALL PUPs/DOGs/KLV on the forum

1. Add the SuperGRUB2Disc (SG2D) ISO file to your BOOTISOS folder

2. Boot Ventoy and select the SG2D ISO to boot

3. SG2D will list all PUPs and forum distros in the BOOTISOS folder

4. Select any from its list that it gives and EXPECT THAT IT WILL BOOT TO DESKTOP!

In Conclusion
The combination Ventoy-SG2D USB still will cover ALL ISO file boot conditions from for all ISO files found in the wild (including Distrowatch ISO files). Lastly, it is important to know that Ventoy or SG2D will NOT fix issues within any distro you boot from their list. These are mere boot service facilities allowing you to maintain and select booting an ISO or IMG without any need to first write any to either a DVD/USB/System-drive after receipt. Thus, neither, Ventoy or SG2D changes anything about PUPs/DOGs in any way. They are only an assist to allow fast efforts to a running distro destop via your ISO files.

Their MAIN purpose is to cut down the work of anyone who wants to experience a distro or an OS by eliminating any need to create a 'starter' Flash/DVD/drive: You will merely download and boot any bootable. The contents within this Post is SPECIFIC to forum distros!!!

Hope this info adds to any knowledge you already have.

I am sure you already know much of this. But you may not be aware of the benefits of some I offer here.

P.S. More info on this subject is found on the forum, here

Return to “Boot”