5 GHz wireless band in network manager?

Moderator: Forum moderators

vtpup

5 GHz wireless band in network manager?

Post by vtpup »

Hi, how is 802.11 5 GHz band accessed through Network Manager if the wifi card is Wifi6 capable? Is 5 GHz hotspot seen when doing a Network manager wifi scan, assuming the card is capable and the kernel and modules all support the hardware?

I recently added a Wifi 6 capable network card to my laptop (in sig) and found the correct Intel firmware module for the chip which works with iwlwifi to enable function. It all works presently on my 2.4gHz network, but I'm wondering how Network Manager will handle a 5 GHz wifi network.

Thanks!

Last edited by mikewalsh on Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

BologneChe

Re: 5 GHz wireless band in network manager?

Post by BologneChe »

vtpup wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:52 pm

Hi, how is 802.11 5MHz band accessed through Network Manager if the wifi card is Wifi6 capable? Is 5mhz hotspot seen when doing a Network manager wifi scan, assuming the card is capable and the kernel and modules all support the hardware?

I recently added a Wifi 6 capable network card to my laptop (in sig) and found the correct Intel firmware module for the chip which works with iwlwifi to enable function. It all works presently on my 2.4gHz network, but I'm wondering how Network Manager will handle a 5 gHz wifi network.

Thanks!

I have equipment whose card is in wifi 6 and which manages wifi 5 very well. The device does not work under Linux however.

Born to lose; live to win

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Hi BologneChe thanks. My new notebook Wifi6 card is working, and I'm connecting through it now at 2.4 gHz. I have similar Wifi6 card in my desktop computer running Xubuntu 18.04 and under its network manager, the band is selectable as 2.4 gHz,, 5 gHz, or Automatic using the card.

My question is, how is this handled (if it is) by Bionic64 Pup or FossaPup's network managers?

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

@vtpup

The modem you used supports 2.4 and 5?

Born to lose; live to win

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Whatever is sending out the WIFI signal has to be set to broadcast a 5Ghz signal.

My WIFI router is set to transmit 2.4Ghz signal and 5Ghz signal.

When I do a scan in Network Wizard.

It finds both signals.

The 2.4 Ghz is seen as the name for my router.

The 5Ghz is seen as the name -5G
Example:
Network Interface wlan0
Network Name (SSID) NETGEAR85-5G

Your hardware may identify it differently, but in some way, it should make it clear what is the 2.4Ghz and what is the 5Ghz signal.

I have it set to transmit both signals, because I have some devices that do not work with 5Ghz, only 2.4Ghz.

The Wifi adapter in my computer, has ability to detect and use 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz.
In Network Wizard.
If I select the 5Ghz signal it uses it.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@vtpup, typically, your home router (or something) in the home must broadcast on the WiFi6 band. So that home router must turn-on the ability to broadcast an SSID on that band for home units to see.

If so, your home's units can connect for info transfer over that band...same as it does for 2.4/5ghz.

Hope this info is helpful.

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Thanks Clarity, well, I'm wondering (re 5mhz) about a direct computer to computer connection without a wireless router, which I thought was the definition of ad hoc wireless?

So if one computer needs to initiate for connection to a second computer if you have an agreed to pair of static IPs without a pre-existing network, is that possible in Puppy? Or does one computer have to create an ad hoc wireless network to begin, and how?

Actually in using Xubuntu in my server box, it can be set up as either ad hoc, or a wireless "hotspot". The hotspot option works with Bionic64 on the laptop client using Puppy's Network Manager program on 2,4 gHz. But if I switch the Xubuntu server over to 5 mhz, Network Manager on Puppy doesn't see it any more.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

I trust Bigpup's experience with Network Manager re 5ghz usability as a client. That makes me suspect the Ubuntu desktop, when in hotspot mode is not properly setting up 5 Ghz. Will report back after looking into that with (I hope) confirmation that Network Manager works for for me also on 5Ghz.

(btw, Important to note, BologneChe, that three mechanisms have to be in place for your card to work with Network manager -- at least for Intel chipped wifi cards. You need the firmware from here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... eless.html to be located in /var/firmware, you need the minimum kernel version listed in the table entry for your chipset there, and you need to choose the iwlwifi driver in Network Manager. And after you do all of that, you need to cold restart. Network Manager should then find your device.)

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

Return to “Network”