Antivirus in BionicPup64 8.0?

Moderator: Forum moderators

OldSchool40

Antivirus in BionicPup64 8.0?

Post by OldSchool40 »

Hi guys, been playing around with BionicPup 8.0 (64bit) and was considering installing it to my harddrive and making it my main Linux distro-however I wanted to ask-is there any antivirus program that actually works with this? I've tried installing ClamTk from the package installer, found
a Comodo antivirus pet another member had created and tried that-but nothing works! Is there a way of fixing that-or another solution I've been missing?
01101001b

Re: Antivirus in BionicPup64 8.0?

Post by 01101001b »

OldSchool40 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:43 am Hi guys, been playing around with BionicPup 8.0 (64bit) and was considering installing it to my harddrive and making it my main Linux distro-however I wanted to ask-is there any antivirus program that actually works with this? I've tried installing ClamTk from the package installer, found
a Comodo antivirus pet another member had created and tried that-but nothing works! Is there a way of fixing that-or another solution I've been missing?
Hi @OldSchool40!

You could give a try to this. Be aware, though, that this type of files (.sfs) don't need to be installed. They work like a sort of "addon" to the system.

Place the clamav-0.102+clamvt.sfs in the / of the partition your BionicPup is installed.

Now run "SFS-load" (it's an app you already have in your system. Search for it in your menu. Sorry I can't be more specific since my system is not BionicPup)

If you managed to reach this far, you'll see this:
_
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (19.08 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
Once you click in the marked button, you should see the .sfs file. Click on it.
Press "+Load".

And now (let's hope! ;) ) Clamav should be somewhere in your menu.

Hope this helps! :thumbup2:

''Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like [...] It's not [...]. Design is how it works.'' -- Steve Jobs

OldSchool40

Post by OldSchool40 »

Just tried it, but it doesn't work-is there a current puppy linux that does use it?
bigphil

Post by bigphil »

OldSchool40 -
go here - https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-se ... -linux.php, select Ubuntu and 64 bit then you download a file called "cav-linux_x64.deb".
Click on it to install it then go to /opt/COMODO and click on a file called cav then it will fire up.
I've put a short cut to it on my desktop. I'm using Bionic64 and it works a treat.

However on initialization it will report " COMODO application agent is not running".
To fix this go to /opt/COMODO and click on cmdagent
after a short period of time it will fire up.
Unfortunately this has to be done every time you use it.

Regards
Phil
lizardidi

Post by lizardidi »

For Clamav, you need to type in terminal "freshclam" during first run. (and dont forget to comment out the config file!) =D
If it need you to specify a user, just type "freshclam -u root" and clamav should starting to download the antivirus database.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@OldSchool40 :-

I put together SFS packages for COMODO's AV for Linux some time ago. Once loaded, you'll find the Menu entries under Menu->Utility.

I've employed a small script in /root/my-applications/bin that starts "cav", followed by "cmdagent" a few seconds later. Before updating the database, wait for the red shield and message "COMODO Application Agent is not running" to appear on the left. As soon as that appears, it's safe to click the Antivirus tab->Update Virus Database.

Do be aware that what this will download is the current list of Windows anti-virus signatures; Comodo, like all other Linux AV solutions, checks your system for Windows nasties.....so that you don't inadvertently pass stuff on from Windows-using friends to other Windows-using friends.

Linux malware does exist, but it's still pretty rare, since the writers of such crap don't consider it worth their time, given the small size of the Linux userbase. That may yet change, however..... :D

There's not much point setting this up for regular scheduled scans. The best way to use it is as a standalone scanner, for "one-off" scans whenever you feel it necessary. Most of the crap on the web is designed to infect Windows anyway, so won't even get a look-in unless specifically built for Linux.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you're interested, you can find it here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Help yourself to the one you want.

-------------------------------------------------------------

@bigphil :-

Create a blank script, name it CAV (or something similar), and stick it in /root/my-applications/bin. Put the following into it:-

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#
# Start COMODO Anti-virus for Linux
#
/opt/COMODO/cav
sleep 10
/opt/COMODO/cmdagent
Having then saved it, you can drag THIS to the desktop and use it as the launcher instead. It merely does automatically what you were previously doing manually. Fewer clicks save time, and make you more productive..!

Dress it up with the icon below. ROX will auto-resize it to 48x48 for the pinboard.

Mike. ;)
Attachments
Comodo AV icon...
Comodo AV icon...
Comodo.png (65.27 KiB) Viewed 1383 times

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

OldSchool40

Post by OldSchool40 »

Great! I found the 32 bit version works for me! :thumbup:
DixieDog

Post by DixieDog »

Do I need virus protection with BIONIC PUP.?
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

DixieDog wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:55 pm Do I need virus protection with BIONIC PUP.?
@DixieDog :-

TBH, you don't really need AV with ANY Linux distro, never mind Puppy.....though Pup is, to some extent, safer than most due to to the way in which she functions.

Old habits die hard, and Windows refugees have the whole AV/malware thing so ingrained into their psyches - many never having used anything other than Windoze! - that they cannot imagine being "safe" online without it. For Linux, with its robust & comprehensive permissions system, a good firewall is all that's really required.

Linux AV programs are essentially checking for Windows malware. Most of us know, and interact online with, plenty of Windows users. Even though 99% of malware & 'nasties' are designed to infect Windows, and it won't do anything to Puppy (we can, if we wish, let an entire session disappear into cyberspace if we think we've picked up summat bad), it's more of a courtesy really.....so that you don't pass crap onto your friends, family, etc.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

DixieDog

Post by DixieDog »

Thanks Mike, I Would be in shock if you said otherwize
bigphil

Post by bigphil »

It appears Comodo has stopped working, at least it has for me.
The Virus Database Updater gets to 89%, the hard disk led starts flashing furiously and the CPU usage goes to 100%.
If you believe Htop it has used all my ram and filled the swap. Cmdagent is the thing that hogging the CPU.
I have to kill it and reboot.

Phil.

Return to “Bionic”