German and French sections?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

taersh

German and French sections?

Post by taersh »

Hi.

Since I don't know where to ask this, I posted here.

Is this forum meant to be English only, or are there any plans to have German and French sections?

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

wiak

Re: German and French sections?

Post by wiak »

This forum was opened by rockedge as an 'experimental' forum over half a year ago with an invitation, on Murga Puppy Forum, for people to register and contribute ideas for layout and use. There were no restrictions whatsoever about what form the forum should take. The only issue with forum design is to try and not make too many categories but phpBB is pretty good in terms of making it possible to limit top-level forum categories but with complex hierarchies of sub-forums. Since the forum has never really been used as yet, now is certainly the time to work out categories and scope for all interested users.

At around the same time rockedge started this forum he provided a new forum site for WeeDogLinux also, which is now being used. I tend to be busy with actual WeeDog developments so haven't really been able to formalise its forum site, but what is there already does provide a look at how sub-forum categories can be spread under top-layer category hierarchy: https://weedoglinux.rockedge.org It is very different from Puppy Forum since it is really an active development site but with very few members and not much discussion going on (just quickly needed a forum for already developed work feedback and announcement that provided enough scope for the variety of related distros being developed), but the organisation structure issues are similar nevertheless.

There are many countries (and languages) in the world of course, so how best to organise that for the benefit of all is up for debate and practical implementation ideas I'd say. What do other forums do in that respect? I'd suggest an "International" category/area (and perhaps a substantial one for the case of Puppy), with subforum for different cultural/language issues/developments - perhaps the whole forum should be considered from that point of view, but there probably needs to be a common ground between languages for main dev work(?) For the good or bad of it, English tends to be the lingua franca in international software development work unless the lead devs choose their own language as the primarly language used.

wiak

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I can envision German and French language forums being included. An outline of the forum and sub forums that will be added needs to be drafted. And I can add German, French language packs along with English so the individual registered user can select what language the forum operates in locally. I have not completely tested this out but I will look into adding the language packs.
HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

Hello all.
Registered a few minutes ago and got a german interface immidiately. Very nice...

Thank you so much for the new forum.

I hope there will be a section/subforum for German users, although the appropriate subforum on murga-linux was not that much frequented for a long time. My hope and joy was always to get even one more non native english speaking person to try out Puppy Linux.
taersh

Post by taersh »

Registered a few minutes ago and got a German interface immediately.
Yes, that's one reason why I was asking for plans of having a German section.

Of course, developers need to use English, but there's a lot of German people unable to speak/read English, so a German section AND interface could help to gain some more German users for Puppy Linux - the best Operating System on the planet. :thumbup:

It will help, hopefully... ;)

My Music:

01micko

Post by 01micko »

Possibly also Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hebrew, Russian... where do you stop?

Which brings us to the next problem with woof-CE. So many .pot files are out of date that it needs a major shake up. Let alone the lack of translations in scripts!

For Puppy Linux to survive it needs to be truly global. We need cooperation from the many forums that are non-English too. A list of links to those would be handy.
taersh

Post by taersh »

I don't know, where to stop. Just recalled that there was a German and French section in murga forum. Wasn't there a Spanish section too? That's why I was asking for it.

I'm not a member of the WoofCE team, though I could give some support updating German .pot files only. German and English only are the languages I can use and translate (more or less).

Any hints/tips how to support?

My Music:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

taersh

Post by taersh »

rockedge wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:57 pm Hello RSH!
viewforum.php?f=109
Cool! :thumbup:

Thanks! :D

My Music:

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

01micko wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:56 am Which brings us to the next problem with woof-CE. So many .pot files are out of date that it needs a major shake up. Let alone the lack of translations in scripts!

For Puppy Linux to survive it needs to be truly global. We need cooperation from the many forums that are non-English too. A list of links to those would be handy.
I wonder if the "International" section would also benefit from a topic called "Internationalisation" - not specific to one international language but rather dedicated to encouraging all international contributors to help make the "Master Puppy" a better fit across the globe so that people did not need to build specific pups for each language.

It will be a long process and would not be intended to detract from efforts to build specific language pups but rather a thread that would help official mainstream puppies grow in appeal.

Return to “Beginners Help”