ROX Icon Theme - by hand which has me thinking...

Moderator: Forum moderators

geo_c

ROX Icon Theme - by hand which has me thinking...

Post by geo_c »

Let's say I made a ROX icon theme by manually setting icons using the ROX right click 'set icon' feature (which I did.) Is there a way to 'export' or 'grab' those settings and convert it to a properly assembled icon theme for ROX?

I have set the file associations manually to point to my personal icon directory in /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/my-theme, and I see that these icons are mapped in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer/globicons. The icons themselves are copied in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-icons/

I suppose the MIME-icons directory and globicon file are my theme in a sense, and I should just copy both and save it for future use, but I'm guessing that's not the best or most transferable format.

Can I assemble those associations, and index them specifically as a loadable theme for ROX somehow?

The theme itself is pretty nice for high contrast dark desktops like mine. It's a combination of Fancy-Dark-Icons (particulary the file types), Candy-Icons, PMaterial, and some of my own creations.

Last edited by geo_c on Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

geo_c

Re: ROX Icon Theme - by hand which has me thinking...

Post by geo_c »

I added the phrase 'which has me thinking' to the title of this post, because working on the theme settings in ROX has me wondering if anyone ever attempted to write a script for puppy (or any other distro) which could search all the file names of an existing directory like /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-icons/ and then look for those filenames in another directory such as a downloaded theme directory, and then copy the matching files back into ../rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-icons?

It would be a long term project for me since I'm a toddler when it comes to command-line scripting language. Maybe it's been done already, if not, attempting it myself could be an excuse to learn more code.

Last edited by geo_c on Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

geo_c

geo_c

Re: ROX Icon Theme - by hand which has me thinking...

Post by geo_c »

Well, perhaps I'm going to be posting alone on this thread, but who knows, it might be educational for some.

I did a successful experiment with my custom ROX icon choices.

I booted into my working fossapup64 save and then copied the icons and xml docs, the ROX .config directories (/MIME-icons along with globicons file) all from an inactive jackalpup-save containing my personalized theme, and Voila! my 'ROX' theme is imported from one pupsave to another, to be more precise, from a re-master of Fossapup64's save (jackalpup) to a Fossapup64-proper pupsave.

So that seems to work rather painlessly.

Here's what two ROX windows look like currently on my desktop (the emojis are not part of the theme btw)

geo_c

Return to “Eye Candy”