USB flash boot does not save files in /mnt

Post here if you feel others can duplicate your so discovered "bug"

Moderator: Forum moderators

wizard

USB flash boot does not save files in /mnt

Post by wizard »

Fossa 64 9.5
Not sure if this qualifies as a bug or just an anominally.

I have some script files and directories I keep in /mnt and on my HD install all works fine. If I boot from my usb flash drive and copy the same files/directories into /mnt they are not saved in the save file and are gone on rebooting. My work around is putting a script file in the startup directory that makes the directories and copies the files on every boot.

I assume there is just a difference in the save programming, but was just wondering why changes in /mnt are not saved by the flash drive routine.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

bigpup

Re: USB flash boot does not save files in /mnt

Post by bigpup »

Why are you trying to store stuff in a location not designed for that?
/mnt is not a data storage location.

The /mnt directory and its subdirectories are intended for use as the temporary mount points for mounting storage devices.
Such as CDROMs, floppy disks, hard drives, and USB (universal serial bus) key drives.
Mounting is the process of attaching an additional filesystem, which resides on a CDROM, hard disk drive (HDD) or other storage device, to the currently accessible filesystem of a computer.
Some of the common mount points may be in /mnt all the time.
But they are not active, until that mount point device is attached to computer, is mounted active, and becomes integrated into the running file system.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

wizard

Re: USB flash boot does not save files in /mnt

Post by wizard »

@bigpup
It creates a convenient and logical way to access network file shares. I have several file shares on my LAN and the directories are mount points and the script files are mount scripts. For example one file share is "music" so I create the /mnt/music directory and put the script file "mntmusic" in that directory. If a user wants to access the music share, they just navigate to /mnt/music and run the mntmusic file. It is very logical and straight forward. plus it does not require running any other program to do the mounting. It works with any FM, but I find it most convenient with XFE which immediately populates the share.

Anyway, I thought it curious that one save routine does save the changes and the other does not.

thanks

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

Return to “Bug Reports”