Post by soniabu »

Hi all.
this is my SO: Image
this is my kernel:
root@live:~# uname -r
5.4.0-45-generic
root@live:~#
would it need to be updated?
Can anyone tell me how where you can get information? Where to find any update and ... what can I read to get it right if it needs to be done?
I know a lot of questions, but I have found so many answers that have confused me.

Also I have this drawback.
Every now and then with Synaptic I do the 'reload' and I finally get this message:

I went to see the repositories and the only thing I thought is to exclude it in the search;
am I right to do so?
Thanks sonia
fredx181

Re: Fossadog - 20.04 update kernel

Post by fredx181 »

Hi Sonia,
this is my kernel:
root@live:~# uname -r
5.4.0-45-generic
root@live:~#
would it need to be updated?
Well, if you don't have a special reason to update the kernel, I'd say just leave it as is.
Btw, you use older Fossadog version, the latest version "FossaDog-2020-09-19_64-bit-UEFI.iso" has a slightly newer kernel and some fixes, see at bottom of post here viewtopic.php?p=2476#p2476 in Fossadog thread. (but you can do the fix "ln -s /bin/busybox /usr/local/sbin/awk" and should be OK too, continuing to use your installed version)
I went to see the repositories and the only thing I thought is to exclude it in the search;
Yes, you can exclude it if you don't need it or fix it by changing bionic to focal.
I assume you added it with add-apt-repository .....
The script /usr/local/bin/add-apt-repository is a custom script that needs a fix, see here viewtopic.php?p=2476#p2476 and next.
If you plan to use ppa's frequently, I'd advice to install "software-properties-common" and rename the above mentioned script (as described in link above).

Any reason why you're not posting in the FossaDog thread ? It's there specially for posting comments, questions etc... about it.

Best regards,
Fred
soniabu

Post by soniabu »

thanks Fred for the directions: I will try to shed some light and understand what to do.
There is no reason why I was posting in UbuntuDog; from now on I will go to FossaDog.
Hi Fred and Thanks again.
sonia
mcgiwer

Post by mcgiwer »

After editing the /etc/apt/sources.list (removing the hash ("#") symbol before the entry) and updating the repository list with the apt-get update command, I had searched for the linux-image and had found out that the latest available kernel for the "fossa" is 5.4.10.

To get a newer then this version, you would either need to upgrade the distro to the newer one (see: here for the codenames with you need to replace with the "fossa" in the /etc/apt/sources.list) or download one from the http://kernel.org website and self compile it

Return to “UbuntuDogs”