Anybody run Rollemup pinball in late version Puppy or Dog?

Moderator: Forum moderators

mouldy

Anybody run Rollemup pinball in late version Puppy or Dog?

Post by mouldy »

It had been a while so I try in 64bit Buster Dog with libraries for 32bit added.

Get:

root@live:~# Rollemup
Fatal error: glibc detected an invalid stdio handle
Aborted
root@live:~#

I suspect its version glibc doing this?

Now will mention just for heck of it, I installed the windows version Rollemup in WINE. I think this is from like win95/98 era. It tried running full screen and crashed, but once I set it in wine to limit to 800x600, it was stable. (Linux version is similar small screen by default) If you have WINE installed, the windows version is much smaller file to download too. It just seems shame to run windows version in WINE when there is a perfectly good linux version. There is a BeOS version, Mac version, and maybe an OS2 version too. Linux version hard enough to find, good luck with any those others.

I will give lot credit to people that made Rollemup, it was made long time ago, but holds up well today.

foxpup

Re: Anybody run Rollemup pinball in late version Puppy or Dog?

Post by foxpup »

Thank you for the tip. I am not a gamer but this is fun. :-)

Where did you get your version from?
I found it on archive.org as a pet from the Hungarian Puppy makers (s-kami):
https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... _Game_Repo
Seems to work well on Fossapup.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

https://www.pro-linux.de/files/rollemup/Rollemup.tar.gz

I got linux version at link above. Its not the easiest to find. As nice of a program as it is, thats too bad. Like say the windows version run in WINE with proper settings works just as well and is much smaller file, less than quarter the size. No idea why so much smaller. Course if you dont have WINE installed, then no advantage. Not worth installing WINE just to play pinball.

Glad one of the Puppy archives has it. Links for it on the old forum were dead.

EDIT: DO NOT USE THE "pro-linux.de" LINK ABOVE, it apparently is a buggy version.

Last edited by mouldy on Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mouldy

Post by mouldy »

foxpup wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:51 am

Thank you for the tip. I am not a gamer but this is fun. :-)

Where did you get your version from?
I found it on archive.org as a pet from the Hungarian Puppy makers (s-kami):
https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... _Game_Repo
Seems to work well on Fossapup.

Apparently I got a bad version, I downloaded the dotpet version you linked to and extracted files since Buster Dog doesnt know what a dotpet is, manually copied them. It runs fine. Thanks, nice to know there is a working copy out there.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

There is now a flatpak version. But by time you add all the flatpak bloat.... Still better off using that WINE5 appimage plus the windows version rollemup.

Alas rollemup was not open source. So nobody can recompile it to run on modern systems. Well unless the original authors chose to do so. Thats not likely.

The windows version in WINE will run full screen. No crash problems in BookwormPup64 The linux version runs in a "box". Still historically it was pretty amazing, linux had nothing similar. And it still holds up well today.

You can find a clean windows version on Major Geeks. Windows freeware is pretty hit or miss anymore. Lot of sites have no problem offering it with crapware added along with download confusion to try and get you to click stuff you dont want. Plus big push to put everything online only with dedicated game websites, even for smaller simple games.

Return to “Games”