FossDog64 on flash drive won't boot remastered version from hdd

Moderator: fredx181

tosim

FossDog64 on flash drive won't boot remastered version from hdd

Post by tosim »

Using FossaDog64, full install on a flash drive, I made a remaster, and that "remaster.squashfs" and also "remaster-portable" are located on my hdd, partition /home. When I boot the flash drive, the remastered sfs has not booted. How do I get that to boot? Also, as I intend making a frugal install of FD64 on another flash, how can I use the remaster to do so? Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited by bigpup on Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected the version name in the topic subject
taersh

Re: Remaster usage

Post by taersh »

Maybe it's named different in FossaDog, but in BionicDog it's named: 01-filesystem.squashfs.
I think you need to rename remaster.squashfs to 01-filesystem.squashfs. But first make a backup of 01-filesystem.squashfs.

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

tosim

Post by tosim »

Thanks much for the so FAST reply. Yes, actual names are: 01-remaster-portable, and 01-remaster.squashfs. I will do the rename, and then, do I leave
it where it is-on my hdd, or what? Also-what to do with the file 01-remaster-portable ?

taersh

Post by taersh »

You need either to decide which one to use and to rename, or using two different installations.
You'll need to overwrite the 01-filesystem.squashfs with one of the remastered .squashfs files.

The 01-filesystem.squashfs is the equivalent to the base .sfs of Puppy.

One installation using the renamed 01-remaster.squashfs to 01-filesystem.squashfs.
Another installation using the renamed 01-remaster-portable.squashfs to 01-filesystem.squashfs.

However, posting this in the FossaDog topic would be more efficient, as there will be replies from fredx who's the expert on this.
I'm just assuming facts from my sequential use of BionicDog and remastering etc.

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

tosim

Re: Fossapup on flash drive won't boot remastered version from hdd

Post by tosim »

Thanks again. What you described is what I had thought. I made the post in this section because it would be applicable to other Dogs/Pups. I'm using the FD64 as an example. Thanks again.

Return to “UbuntuDogs”