Copy & Paste

Moderator: Forum moderators

bigpup

Copy & Paste

Post by bigpup »

Written by smokey01

In Linux it's very easy to copy and paste. Simply highlight the text you wish to copy by left-mouse click and hold while moving the mouse over the text you wish to copy, release mouse button when you are finished copying.

To paste, simply press on the scroll wheel button.

There are many people that don't realize the scroll wheel has a button, are you one of them?
If your mouse does not have a scroll wheel, do yourself a favor and buy one that does. Your computer life will improve dramatically.

As you can see this is much easier than CTRL+C and CTRL+V although this works too.

Copying and Pasting path names can be a pain as they can be very long and it's easy to make mistakes if you type them manually. A path name is simply the path and filename, something like this:

/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/home48.png

The easy way to do this is left-mouse click on the file while holding the CTRL key.
You will notice the file or folder will show it's selected.
To paste the entire path name, place the cursor where you wish to paste it, and click the scroll wheel button.

Note:
copy stuff is stored in the clipboard.
The last thing copied is what is pasted.
You can click on the clipboard manager icon on the right side of the desktop tray.
It will have a list of all items copied.
You can select one of them from this list.
That will now be what is pasted.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bigpup

Re: Copy & Paste

Post by bigpup »

Marking text

Written by smokey01

Have you ever had a problem marking text? You know when your mouse hand is a bit shaky and you can't quite highlight the piece of text you want to?

The conventional way is to place the mouse cursor at the start of the text, press down the left mouse key and move the mouse along the text you wish to mark/highlight then release the mouse button. Most days it's pretty easy but some days not so.

Here are two other methods that might make life just that little bit easier.

Method one.
Place the cursor at the start of the text you wish to mark, press and hold the Shift key, now move the cursor to the end of the text and left mouse click. Better for shaky hands.

Method two.
Place the cursor at the start of the text you wish to mark, press and hold the Shift key, now use the right cursor key to highlight the text from left to right. Just release the Shift and cursor key when finished.

To paste this highlighted text, place the cursor where you wish to paste it and press on the mouse scroll button. If you don't have a scroll wheel try Shift+Ins.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

For laptop users who don't use a mouse the Mouse Wheel click can be replicated. I have a Dell Latitude laptop, which has Left and Right Click Buttons. Clicking both together works to paste highlighted text, as per Mouse wheel click.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

wiak

Post by wiak »

To highlight a paragraph of text, triple clicking on it (with left mouse or trackpad button) will usually highlight it.

I also use Ctrl-A quite a bit to highlight (A)ll text on a page.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “Tips & Tweaks”