working redshift, how? (SOLVED)

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

gychang

working redshift, how? (SOLVED)

Post by gychang »

I have installed latest 9.2.21, frugal install to HD. Synaptic has redshift-gtk but won't work despite a nice icon on the taskbar, even after install of geoclue. I also tried redshiftgui but still doesn't work. Anyone got it working in VD64?

Last edited by gychang on Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

Sofiya

Re: working redshift, how?

Post by Sofiya »

gychang wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:23 am

I have installed latest 9.2.21, frugal install to HD. Synaptic has redshift-gtk but won't work despite a nice icon on the taskbar, even after install of geoclue. I also tried redshiftgui but still doesn't work. Anyone got it working in VD64?

I install mine

Attachments
redshiftgui-64-v3.pet
(208.19 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

gychang

Re: working redshift, how?

Post by gychang »

Sofiya wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:59 am
gychang wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:23 am

I install mine

thanks, that works!

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

s0ltkr

Re: working redshift, how? (SOLVED)

Post by s0ltkr »

So I ran into the same problem and used the .pet file posted here and it works just fine. It gives a redshift option in menu that loads and works well.

I'm working on getting it to run at boot. At first I ran startup apps manager and added redshift to enabled apps. That didn't work..

Then I found a redshiftgui_tray file in /root/Startup. So I added redshiftgui_tray to the enabled apps. That didn't work either.

I figured out /usr/share/applications/redshiftgui.desktop was the file that the menu was using to run redshift correctly.

It was executable through: /usr/bin/redshift-portable-64

Then I found the file: /root/.config/autostart/redshiftgui_tray.desktop

I opened it^ up as text and modified its Exec= so that it looks like this:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
NoDisplay=true
Name=redshiftgui_tray
Exec=/usr/bin/redshift-portable-64

This allowed startup apps manager to run redshiftgui_tray and execute the correct file to actually run redshift on startup.
Because I couldn't just add /usr/bin/redshift-portable-64 to startup apps manager, it wouldn't accept it.

Now redshift shows up in my dock immediately on startup. I still have to click on it to manually start it though.
Haven't figured out if there is an option to have it actually start working on its own yet.

EDIT: Just put it in auto mode it runs on its own on reboot! HAHA I was coming back to edit this and you beat me to it.

Hope this helps anyone that was scratching there head wondering if they could get it to run on boot.

Last edited by s0ltkr on Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

s0ltkr wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:18 am

Now redshift shows up in my dock immediately on startup. I still have to click on it to manually start it though.
Haven't figured out if there is an option to have it actually start working on its own yet.

Hope this helps anyone that was scratching there head wondering if they could get it to run on boot.

for independent work, you need to check the box "Redshift auto mode" and save the session

Attachments
Снимок (1).jpg
Снимок (1).jpg (8.93 KiB) Viewed 629 times

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

darksun

Post by darksun »

Just resuming this old post to confirm this is an ongoing issue, the .pet application works just fine.

@dimkr perhaps could resolve this in the next build?

DS

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

darksun wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:52 pm

Redshit doesn't support Wayland so this is a dead end, I feel like it's a waste of development time.

darksun

Post by darksun »

dimkr wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:51 am
darksun wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:52 pm

Redshit doesn't support Wayland so this is a dead end, I feel like it's a waste of development time.

I get your point :) but I was referring to the X.org version of your vanilladpup 10.*

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

I can't speak for the very newest versions of Puppy, because I haven't progressed that far yet! Unlike many who get really excited about new releases of their favourite OS, and go out of their way to help test/fix/polish & refine these newest members of the kennels ASAP, I still apply the same viewpoint I had with mainstream distros.......I prefer to wait a while until things have "settled down", and the new OS is finally considered to be completely stable.

For the way I use Puppy, I can't be doing with a glitchy, buggy, unstable experience......and I've never had either the required time OR patience to be a "tester". Perhaps it's a very negative attitude from a forum staff member - and a bad example? - but that's just me I'm afraid.....

Which is not say that I don't appreciate the efforts put in by our devs (and "testers"), because I do.

(*shrug...*)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For all those Pups I DO run, Fred's 'portable' Redshift-lite is so small that I simply run it directly from /root/Startup; as a "self-extracter", it can be run from anywhere, so it made sense to place it where it would be automatically executed. Works for me; it shows up in the tray immediately, and starts doing its thing straight away.

No need for launch scripts with this one. :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

darksun wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:08 am

but I was referring to the X.org version of your vanilladpup 10.*

I understand that, but I prefer to spend less of my time on deprecated stuff that will go away in future versions. If anyone volunteers to submit a fix to woof-CE, I don't mind cherry-picking this fix into a future 10.0.x release.

darksun

Post by darksun »

@mikewalsh I actually use this one

viewtopic.php?p=70342#p70342

which I guess it is the same piece of software (made by @fredx181 ) just packaged as .pet by @Sofiya ... so for convenience I keep a copy of the .pet version which you can always open and extract the binary from.

sha256sum https://ibb.co/gD6Mz3j

my opinion is that would be ideal, if it does not take too much effort, to implement a working redshift solution within vanilladpup 10.* X.org version. Especially because the redshiftgui_tray is there since long time and has not worked since a long time AFAIK.

I want to point out , I don't want to come across as arrogant, I'm just trying to improve things by testing and making suggestion to the dev(s); and if they are silly ones we can always discard them can't we?

DS

Last edited by darksun on Tue May 14, 2024 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
darksun

Post by darksun »

dimkr wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:11 am
darksun wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:08 am

but I was referring to the X.org version of your vanilladpup 10.*

I understand that, but I prefer to spend less of my time on deprecated stuff that will go away in future versions. If anyone volunteers to submit a fix to woof-CE, I don't mind cherry-picking this fix into a future 10.0.x release.

I understand fully.

PS I was writing my answer, previous post, while you posted yours :)

EDIT: and monitors nowadays support color temperature features anyway.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

darksun wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:21 am

@mikewalsh I actually use this one

viewtopic.php?p=70342#p70342

which I guess it is the same piece of software (made by @fredx181 ) just packaged as .pet by @Sofiya ...

Yes, the same as from viewtopic.php?t=573
Just FYI, there has been some confusion because of the name, I shared as "rshift-portable-64" (only self-extracting portable script, put it in ~/Startup to run at boot/logon) and in FossaPup (and also as included in shared .pet package) it was renamed to "redshift-portable-64" (in /usr/bin). edit: if I remember well, @mikewalsh mentioned about this earlier.

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”