Programming section

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

nic007

Programming section

Post by nic007 »

I don't see a "Programming" (sub)section like on the old board. Maybe to add rockedge?
TerryH

Re: Programming section

Post by TerryH »

It's been moved to the Off-Topic Area > Programming. Security is also included under the Off-Topic Area.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

nic007

Post by nic007 »

TerryH wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:34 pm It's been moved to the Off-Topic Area > Programming. Security is also included under the Off-Topic Area.
So it is. I would prefer it to me in the Advanced Topic section.
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

nic007 wrote:I would prefer it to me in the Advanced Topic section.
A better idea, so I moved it to a sub forum of Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff)

Perhaps a level higher? But I find it co-resides with "Scripts" sub forum nicely.
nic007

Post by nic007 »

I suggest an own section for Programming under Advanced Topics and shell scripts a sub section thereof. This section does not have anything to do with software but rather about questions/solutions relating to programming/shell scripts (in general and maybe also at advanced level for some). In my view there should not be a shell scripts sub section under the software section. Scripts written for the purpose of creating a specific application should carry the name of the application and placed in the appropriate sub section of the software section.
MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

rockedge wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:33 pm
A better idea, so I moved it to a sub forum of Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff)
Perhaps a level higher? But I find it co-resides with "Scripts" sub forum nicely.
I like nic007's idea much better. Please keep Additional Software ("software packages known to work or packaged for Puppy") for programs, ready to be installed. "Programming" does not fit into this category. Still having it close to Additional Software in the Advanced Topics section would make a lot of sense.

As for Scripts or Shell scripts subforum I don't understand the purpose. I can hardly remember a topic in the Programming forum that did not refer to shell scripting, so why an extra forum? Instead why not move "woof-CE" into a sub forum, either "Puppy Projects" or "Programming"? I expect this forum to remain as quiet as it currently is.
wiak

Post by wiak »

MochiMoppel wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:30 am
rockedge wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:33 pm
I like nic007's idea much better. Please keep Additional Software ("software packages known to work or packaged for Puppy") for programs, ready to be installed. "Programming" does not fit into this category.
Which Additional Software section have you put mmview into, or are you no longer publishing it? Puppy accepts tar.gz or dotpet or .deb and probably other formats as you know.

I have to disagree about the subforum rockedge made called "Scripts". I think that is a useful place to collect small exemplary/working script snippets rather than larger script utility apps, which definitely should all be put into the appropriate category under Additional Software - such larger known-to-usably-work apps/utils should definitely not clutter up Programming section at all though (but be put in relevant descriptive category of Additional Software - no app/utility is ever complete - all, including my own, remain under continuous development, or ditched...).

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “Users”