F96-CE Tray speaker disappeared, sound stopped working (SOLVED)

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

vtpup

F96-CE Tray speaker disappeared, sound stopped working (SOLVED)

Post by vtpup »

F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64 from https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Huge-Kernels
Windows 11
HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100

Just when everything was installed and working great on the new laptop, sound stopped working and the little speaker on the tray disappeared.

Sound worked yesterday and last night we watched videos, etc. Today I bought a small portable DVD reader/writer, plugged it in and tried to watch a DVD video as a test, using VLC. VLC started throwing errors that it couldn't play audio and didn't know what "default" was. I noticed the little speaker control was missing from the tray, and other programs reported no sound.

The only recent change to this setup re. software was to install util-linux as required in order to tun Mike's Trim4SSD Portable application. Maybe that affected Pulseaudio??

Help would be appreciated!

Presently if I run pulseaudio in terminal I get:

Code: Select all

# pulseaudio
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/root/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authentication key '/root/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/root/.pulse-cookie': No such file or directory
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authentication key '/root/.pulse-cookie': No such file or directory
E: [pulseaudio] module-console-kit.c: GetSessionsForUnixUser() call failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit was not provided by any .service files
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-console-kit" (argument: ""): initialization failed.

Last edited by vtpup on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

vtpup

Re: F96-CE Tray speaker disappeared, sound stopped working

Post by vtpup »

As an experiment, I just tried uninstalling util-linux........and yup, sound is back.

So this program seems problematic for at least my version of F-96-CE (with a 6.1.8 kernel).

Somebody with a vanilla F96-CE install might want to check that out. I can't because to get sound I have to use a different kernel than stock in the first place.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Return to “Users”