Kernel swap runs on USB drive, but not from LICK install

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

vtpup

Kernel swap runs on USB drive, but not from LICK install

Post by vtpup »

F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64 from https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Huge-Kernels
Windows 11
HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100

I've been running for several days on a USB thumbdrive installation of F96-CE with a huge kernel swap, and this allows all necessary features of this very new laptop.

I then installed F96-CE unmodified using LICK. And that also opened and worked normally. However, without the huge kernel swap, touchpad and wifi do not work.

I then did the same kernel swap that I had for the thumbdrive swap. This consisted of trading zdrv, fdrv, and vmlinuz, and changing the "95" to "96" in the filenames.

While this worked on the thumbdrive install, it did not open properly on the LICK install. I can't figure out why.

So far I've tried it 2 ways. First I just made the file substitutions in the LICK installed F96.

The second way I tried was removing that first install, and then creating an ISO with the kernel modifications in it, and then using LICK to create an installation from that. Again, no go on the subsequent boot.

Symptoms: When booting, Lick starts up normally, I choose the F96 install and the screen clears and a single dash appears mid screen. That's it, nothing else happens.

Help with this would be appreciated. Thanks!

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

williwaw

Re: Kernel swap runs on USB drive, but not from LICK install

Post by williwaw »

I cant speak to using lick or remastering, but if your cardreader fully encloses the card, can you boot fom it?

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Yes, I can and I've thought about that, but I'd like to work out how to boot directly from the HD.

(Just probably stubbornness when something I want to do doesn't work :lol: )

As a second method of HD boot, I'm trying Diskpup. That, too isn't working, but it's a lot closer to starting. I'll open a separate thread for that because it isn't a LICK problem

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Okay, I got Diskpup installer booting the modified Puppy without too much pain. One Problem yet to fix with it, but the modified puppy is booting fine from nvme HD on this very new laptop.

LICK, though needs updating. I think it's 4 years old now. It provides no messages whatsoever if it doesn't work, so there's no easy way to troubleshoot it. Just a blank screen, so I'm abandoning this installer.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

Return to “Users”