How to use zoiper VOIP app?

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

Neo_78

How to use zoiper VOIP app?

Post by Neo_78 »

I am trying to install the following VoIP app in 814:

https://www.zoiper.com/en/documentation ... figuration

The download files can be found here (free version)

https://www.zoiper.com/en/voip-softphon ... ad/current

I tried the debian version, converted it to a Fatdog package, tried to install, but get a failure notification.

Is there a way to get this working?

Thank you!

Flash

Re: How to use zoiper VOIP app?

Post by Flash »

What did the failure notification say, exactly?

Chaos coordinator :?
Neo_78

Post by Neo_78 »

It's a simple popup that the package installation failed. Unfortunately, there are no error details... :(

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Neo_78 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:34 am

I tried the debian version, converted it to a Fatdog package, tried to install, but get a failure notification.

Hello,
Sorry but I don't have a FatDog to test in right now. One thought that did spring to mind though, if you are converting the .deb to FatDog's package format and then the package manager is unhappy with it, I wonder if you need to pay attention to the package name, maybe swapping underscores for hyphens in some positions in the string??

I was quickly testing Zoiper5_5.6.1_x86_64.deb in BookwormPup64
In converting to a .pet I changed the name to zoiper-5.6.1-x86_64.pet as this looked better to the Puppy scripts and tools, but you have to rename the top-level directory the same of course. The program installs via petget without errors and it starts and runs with one sandbox error. First big problem is that it is not possible to type keyboard characters into the fields of the GUI in the normal way. I was able to do it by copying and pasting from stuff written in geany and I was able to log in to a SIP account, but then the inability to type things becomes a showstopper. A lot of the features in the Settings are "Upgrade to PRO to get this" so overall I wonder what the attraction of it is?

Keef

Post by Keef »

On Fatdog 901 I get the following missing dependencies:

Code: Select all

ldd zoiper | grep not
	libnotify.so.4 => not found
	libpulse.so.0 => not found
	libgssapi_krb5.so.2 => not found

I downloaded the tar.xz file and extracted it. It is self-contained (can run from its current directory). The .deb does install it, and also has the docs, desktop file for menu entry etc.
FD has an older version of libnotify.

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

Fatdog 901. Sorry I'm unable to test on any earlier versions.

I downloaded the tar.xz version as @Keef said.

libnotify.so.4 ==> install libnotify-gtk3 from gslapt repo.
libgssapi_krb5.so.2 ==> install krb5 from gslapt repo.
libpulse.so.0 ==> install experimental pulseaudio SFS using SFS Manager, and then start the service from Control Panel.This SFS is a collection of pre-configured packages to run pulseaudio. If you're daring enough, you can bypass the SFS and install the individual packages from the gslapt repo.

Then run "run-as-spot ./zoiper" from the folder where the tar.xz is extracted.

I tested with an iptel.org account, I can successfully make a call to iptel's holding music service. I seconded everything that @OscarTalks said: keyboard interaction is weird, and many stuff are hidden behind "upgrade to PRO", so that's where the test ended.

PS: I tried using apulse instead of using pulseaudio.sfs, and Zoiper starts, but I can't click anything on the screen (it just hangs there).

Return to “Software”