fatdog-split-initrd.sh difficulty

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

dr__Dan

fatdog-split-initrd.sh difficulty

Post by dr__Dan »

Ahoy Fatdog team,

I booted into Fatdog64 900 without a savefile and did a trivial activity on a website, then came here to see what is new. I soon noticed a new version release and downloaded it. As is my practice, I went to shrink the initrd, this time using fatdog-split-initrd.sh rather than making a new installation with the standard installation tool. Initially I downloaded the new .iso, checked the md5sum, mounted it by way of ROX, and copied vmlinuz and initrd to ~/Downloads. In a terminal I entered fatdog-split-initrd.sh ~/Downloads/initrd ~/Downloads/, and got back Cannot find fd64.ext2 in initrd, exiting. I tried defining the BASE-SFS with the command fatdog-split-initrd.sh ~/Downloads/initrd ~/Downloads "" "" FD64.sfs, which got me Cannot find FD64.sfs in initrd, exiting.

I opened fatdog-split-initrd.sh in geany and added echo $BASE_SFS at the ends of lines 21 and then 25, by which I found that line 25 was somehow causing me difficulty, changing the default to fd64.ext2, though I cannot explain how. Lacking answers, I commented out line 25, entered fatdog-split-initrd.sh ~/Downloads/initrd ~/Downloads at the terminal again, and the job was quickly completed.

I don't have a solution, just a report for now. Let me know if I can give more detail. There were additional insignificant efforts from the terminal, but they just duplicated the listed efforts or led me to better syntax.

Thanks as always for the effective OS.

Dan

9 years on with Fatdog64. :D

jamesbond

Re: fatdog-split-initrd.sh difficulty

Post by jamesbond »

You're welcome :thumbup2:

The problem happens because if you don't specify fd64.sfs as the 5th parameter, it will guess the name of the basesfs to extract from what it can find in /etc/BOOTSTATE. Perhaps at the time you were doing it, your basesfs (or the currently loaded Fatdog) was named fd64.ext2 - hence the script's initial attempt to extract a (non-existing) fd64.ext2 from the initrd.

But you almost get it right. If you had used:

fatdog-split-initrd.sh ~/Downloads/initrd ~/Downloads "" "" fd64.sfs

instead of

fatdog-split-initrd.sh ~/Downloads/initrd ~/Downloads "" "" FD64.sfs

(notice the capitalisation of fd64.sfs) - it would work right away.

dr__Dan

Re: fatdog-split-initrd.sh difficulty

Post by dr__Dan »

Thank you @jamesbond, I'll verify it soon. fd64.ext2 is not a name that I have intentionally used.

Dan

9 years on with Fatdog64. :D

Return to “Software”