Re: Vanillapup either refuses to create save or completely fails to create it upon restart (Solved!)

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

Lordsyke

Re: Vanillapup either refuses to create save or completely fails to create it upon restart (Solved!)

Post by Lordsyke »

Save this log somewhere and close this window to continue...

Device /dev/loop7 is too small.
Command failed with code -1 (wrong or missing parameters).
Device /dev/loop7 is not a valid LUKS device.
Command failed with code -1 (wrong or missing parameters).
mke2fs -v -t ext4 -m 0 -E nodiscard -F /dev/mapper/savefile
mke2fs 1.47.0 (5-Feb-2023)
The file /dev/mapper/savefile does not exist and no size was specified.
e2fsck 1.47.0 (5-Feb-2023)
e2fsck: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mapper/savefile
Possibly non-existent device?

Last edited by Lordsyke on Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lordsyke

Re: Vanillapup either refuses to create save or, completely fails to create it upon restart

Post by Lordsyke »

I think I determined it's one of these, The LUKS device is opened with a wrong sector size, and the mapper device is smaller than the actual device. You need to specify the correct sector size when setting up the loop device with losetup -b 2048 -f /dev/loop73.
The LVM volume group or logical volume is larger than the LUKS device, and the mapper device is not aligned with the physical device. You need to resize the LVM components to fit the LUKS device with pvresize, lvreduce, and resize2fs4. somehow the volume or byte had to be default and I choose a size that's too small I think and now I cannot render any save file to ANY drive. there may be a work around that if I run from drive and NOT ram where I can increase the GB size. Anyone know how to make it run from it's drive and NOT from ram for just a session?

dimkr

Re: Vanillapup either refuses to create save or, completely fails to create it upon restart

Post by dimkr »

Lordsyke wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:26 pm

Anyone know how to make it run from it's drive and NOT from ram for just a session?

I'm not sure I understand the question. What do you mean by "run from it's drive"?

wiak

Post by wiak »

Seems to me means: how to force Pupmode12, which is direct writes to media (I think), rather than Pupmode13.
How to force it, especially when booting from usb stick, I wouldn't know since Puppy booting knowledge is not my thing..., but someone will surely know.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

It's easy, just use pmedia=atahd or anything else without flash. But I'm not sure that's what OP asked because the problem is creating the save file, so there's no save file to write to directly.

Lordsyke

Re: Vanillapup either refuses to create save or completely fails to create it upon restart

Post by Lordsyke »

Okay I got it working, but somehow I accidentally created a bad sf4 "savefile" on the SD card with the same name as the good one on the SSHD. So I need to get into the SD card on windows 11 Ghost Spectre with power shell or something. If you know tell me, but if not, I can wait until tonight or tomorrow morning and do some googling.

Flash

Post by Flash »

I don't know if Windows can do anything if it doesn't recognize the filesystem. It might be able to delete the save file. More likely the only option it will give you is to reformat the entire SD card to some filesystem Windows knows, like FAT32 or NTFS.

You can boot your Puppy into RAM only (pristine boot without using the save file), then mount the SD card and either rename or delete the offending file..

Chaos coordinator :?

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”