EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.5.5

Moderator: BarryK

BarryK

Re: EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.5.2

Post by BarryK »

Have just fixed another bug. This one has been there ever since EasyOS moved from v1 to v2 fscrypt.

That was another transition that had issues. I thought it was all resolved, but no, another bug was hiding.

If you have chosen to have encrypted folders in the working-partition, requiring entering a password at every bootup, if you choose to do a filesystem check ...then it will do the check followed by a kernel panic.

ctrl-alt-del to restart fixes it, but I had to find out the cause.

The problem is /sbin/fscheck script in the initrd unmounts the working-partition, performs the f.s. check, then remounts the partition.

What was missing is that after remounting, v2 fscrypt requires a decryption operation to be able to access the encrypted folders. That is now done.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Caramel wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:30 pm
LHESTIA wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:33 am

Rox-filer is not translated into French.

In EasyOS 5.4.10 Messages in /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer is a symlic to !o /usr/share/locale. In 5.5.2 it's a real folder.

In 5.5.2 i have replaced this folder by the symlink, I have too replaced ROX-Filer.mo in /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES by the ROX-Filer.mo of 5.4.10 (in terminal, by precaution ROX-Filer was closed)
And then the menus are translated.

I don't know if the modification of Messages has broken something. And curiously the "(All)" displayed in the title of a window when the hidden files are not hidden is not translated by "(Tous) as in 5.4.10

Caramel,
Thanks for finding the cause.
It is due to changes in woofQ to accommodate usr-merge. I think it is now fixed:

https://bkhome.org/news/202309/rox-file ... fixed.html

I am wondering if that bug has caused misbehaviour elsewhere. If so, that will come-right also.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

A note about youtube videos:

I tested the youtubedl-gui, which is in the "Internet" menu category; that works. I downloaded this:

Looking in /usr/local/youtubedl/youtubedl, I see that youtube-dl is called with the "--no-check-certificate" commandline option.

So that SSL certificates error must have been an issue previously.

@ETP
A quick fix for TV Panel will be to use the same commandline parameter.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Just a quick note, youtube-dl has been fixed.
Will upload Easy 5.5.3 tonight.

Here is another video with Russell:

ETP

Post by ETP »

BarryK wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:10 am

A note about youtube videos:

I tested the youtubedl-gui, which is in the "Internet" menu category; that works. I downloaded this:

Looking in /usr/local/youtubedl/youtubedl, I see that youtube-dl is called with the "--no-check-certificate" commandline option.

So that SSL certificates error must have been an issue previously.

@ETP
A quick fix for TV Panel will be to use the same commandline parameter.

Hi Barry,
Thanks for the update and possible fix. I propose to issue the 2023MK4 version of TV Panel later today but
the only change in it is the new URL in the France24 launcher script.

With regard to EasyOS 5.5.2 it is the first of the EASYOS series not to play the 4 YouTube based streams.
All other WoofCE pups such as FossaPup64 9.5, FossaPup64 9.6 and BookwormPup64 don't exhibit the problem.

In 5.5.2 I have today placed the following new line of code at line 127 of /etc/mpv/mpv.conf which brought the
Youtube channels online.

Code: Select all

ytdl-raw-options=no-check-certificate=

Thanks for the pointer.

Last edited by ETP on Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards ETP
Current go-to Pup since Feb 2019 - BionicPup64 8.0
Video - https://photos.app.goo.gl/HYLupyMGcQFP81z69

On test - Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix 20.10 (Groovy Gorilla)
Video - https://photos.app.goo.gl/xGbQYtioXt6mzoi48
BarryK

Re: EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.5.3

Post by BarryK »

Version 5.5.3 is out, with important bug fixes, see blog announcement:

https://bkhome.org/news/202309/easyos-k ... eased.html

...see the note about updating. I tested youtube-dl in a pristine boot of 5.5.3 and it now works. Hopefully it will also work after updating from 5.5.2 -- if not, it is probably due to that actual-folder-that-should-be-a-symlink, but I don't know what folder specifically -- anyway, we can tackle that if the problem occurs.

I'm hoping to not make any significant structural changes for awhile, as they introduce issues. Instead, likely to focus on some package updates in the months ahead.

I uploaded 5.5.3 just before ETP updated TV Panel, so the France channel will be broken. But, you can install his PET package.

EDIT:
Did an update from 5.5.2, youtube-dl now working. Downloaded another of Russell's Outback advice videos:

Code: Select all

# youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HTMrEi6SiI
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

@rerwin
SNS in 5.5.3 is looking good!

Some technical notes:

There is a script in /etc/init.d/pupnetwork that will call network_default_connect, which will cause SNS to establish an already-configured connection.

The variable PE_SERVICE_MANAGER in /etc/eventmanager will cause execution of /etc/init.d/pupnetwork to be delayed until X has started. This is to give plenty of time for kernel network drivers to load.

Here are the two SNS-related fixes since 5.5.2:

https://github.com/bkauler/woofq/commit ... 5ffc52d877

https://github.com/bkauler/woofq/commit ... 37ae44885b

szept

Post by szept »

Hi guys,

I've run an auto-update from 5.4.10 to 5.5.2 few days ago and I've encoutered the following issues:

1. Password Manager appeard on my taskbar and I'd like to know which one is it, so I move it to disabled folder.

2. I've lost internet connection settings on both computers - one with wi-fi adapter and the other one with wired network. Wi-fi setup was starightforward and it connected straight away, but the wired connection didn't. I think it was exactly the same for the very first time with EasyOS, so it didn't succeed via the Simple Network Setup, but it went fine through the Network Configuration.

sns_wired_log:
    Information about this interface:
    Interface: eth0 Driver: tg3 Bus: pci MacAddress: b8:ac:6f:97:2f:5a
    Description: Broadcom Tigon3 ethernet driver

no such user dhcpcd
    dhcpcd-9.4.1 starting
    DUID 00:04:44:45:4c:4c:4e:00:10:52:80:4e:c7:c0:4f:4d:4e:31
    eth0: IAID 6f:97:2f:5a
    eth0: soliciting an IPv6 router
    eth0: soliciting a DHCP lease
    eth0: probing for an IPv4LL address
    eth0: using IPv4LL address 169.254.182.229
    eth0: adding route to 169.254.0.0/16
    eth0: adding default route
    forked to background, child pid 11605
    no such user dhcpcd
    dhcpcd-9.4.1 starting
    forked to background, child pid 11753

Cheers,
Damian

Running live-USB EasyOS-64_5.6.3

...and taxes are theft! -.-
https://321my.wordpress.com/pw/

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

szept wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:42 am

Hi guys,

I've run an auto-update from 5.4.10 to 5.5.2 few days ago and I've encountered the following issues:

@szept
I recommend that you update to 5.5.3, it has important fixes.

The password manager in the tray is /root/Startup/pw_tray

It is just a frontend for whatever password manager is installed, as set in /usr/local/bin/defaultpasswordmanager,
which is fpm2

I recommend that you don't use it though, until update to 5.5.3, as in 5.5.2 /root/.fpm is an actual folder, whereas it should be a symlink.
This folder-symlink problem was in 5.5.2, fixed in 5.5.3.

If you have already used it in 5.5.2, after updating, delete /mnt/wkg/.session/root/.fpm then reboot without saving.

rover

Post by rover »

Just a quick question:
when I update Easy to the next update , I often get a message
saying you do not have enough space in /mnt/wkg. (about every 3 times).
This requires me to download a fresh file and set everything up from new again.
It appears that the calculation of my remaining space is incorrect.
Does it matter that the update message shows 3GB and the second value shows MB?

Since I never post because I do not feel qualified to offer help, being a relative novice, I would like to take this time to thank Barry and all for a great OS. I have enjoyed running in ram since the start of Puppy. THANK YOU.

bean

Post by bean »

i have been on all versions since 5.2 maybe before cant recall, anyway a few days ago things started becoming very flacky ( my VPN + vpn-onoff-0.pet from fossapup,) everything was stable almost instant connecting from boot.

The new 5.52 & 5.53 maybe 5.5.1 have different initial network manager set ups.

imo these are unreliable connection dropping, etc etc blah. I cant put my finger on it as i have done so many re-installs via rufus to my microsd card its one giant blur trying to remember what worked where with what.

Sorry to moan, i know just how much work & effort that has gone into all this from Barry and others ( they know they are. Big thanks, earlier i re-installed 5.5 that seemed to be fine.

Another thing my working speed on my (still the same) boot device micro sd card in a 3.1 Kingston tiny usb card reader, its gone from about 42-43 ish up to 170, things feel marginally slower, could be me tho.

as i normally delete several built-in packages , turn off services printing bluetooth etc .

OH boy nothing lasts forever, i was so chuffed with EasyOS a week or so back, I tried Void Linux it was pretty much as fast as Easy/Fossapup but you had to go thro some hoops. the root password thing was kind of irritating. I think it is well thougt out. But not for me.

Barry's EasyOS was perfect for me up to 5.5 maybe 5.5.1 never had long enough

Sorry about the moan, wont tell you my 1.5 hour saga trying to get my Windows 11 Pro initial Preview Canary build activated all sorted basically a Alpha/Beta version, an early incarnation of what Windows 12 will be. Yeah Driver issues AMD?ASUS caused me to clean reinstall, would not activate, as one knows Microsoft needs that.

tammi806

Post by tammi806 »

I just did the update to 5.5.3 version and did a reboot when completed and had no internet connection wired connection.

I did a 2nd reboot and still no internet connection although I opened the network manager and connected manually and now have an internet connection.

I have rebooted several different times and all appears to be working fine. :thumbup2:

Thanks Barry K. :)

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

rover wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:32 pm

Just a quick question:

Since I never post because I do not feel qualified to offer help, being a relative novice, I would like to take this time to thank Barry and all for a great OS. I have enjoyed running in ram since the start of Puppy. THANK YOU.

Are you running from a usb-stick or internal drive?
Either case, it seems that you need a bigger partition.

However, if you have been updating for awhile, there are probably old files that you can delete.
Look in /mnt/wkg/sfs/easyos/oe/kirkstone, there are old SFSs that you probably don't need anymore.

Before deleting them though, check that they aren't in use in a container.
Look in /mnt/wkg/containers and for each container look to see if there is a symlink to an SFS. if so, then you will need to keep that SFS file.

On my computer right now, I have a lot of old SFSs, but as the working-partition is 63GB, there is plenty of free space.

szept

Post by szept »

BarryK wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:49 am

@szept
I recommend that you update to 5.5.3, it has important fixes.

Ok, did that, but another issue remains for 5.5.2 as well as 5.5.3 - I have to run the internet wizard everytime to get onto the wired connection.

Any advise on that?

Damian

bean

Post by bean »

fwiw
i re-installed EasyOS 5.5 again yesterday it runs smooth and fine just 3 duplicate icons i commented out line 127 and removed icons.

i am just documenting here, anyway upgraded and rolled back once what versions i dont know anymore because i did so much, ( if that makes sense) the last 5.5.3 i installed from img not updated,

the network was flacky, the network/vpn worked then did not forcing me to turn the VPN app off then on again. This can become incredibly confusing. Simply because in order for my VPN app a pet from Fossapup requires the VPN-On-OFF pet in order to work,

So here we go
1.make sure your wireless is connected (usually fast )

2. Then turn on the VPN start (VPN Start & Vpn Off are both listed under Network in the main menu) i put VPN Start on Tray next to the VPN app

3. After clicking the VPN Start ( popup messageswith wait up to 30 seconds) only needs 7-10 secs and clicking on the VPN usually connects then.
The VPN only works with Open VPN NOT Wireguard.

Anyway after a while the Brower built in Chromium stops connecting however you can still ping 1.1.1.1 so there is connectivity. anoth complexity should i say in 5.5.2 & 3 curl ifconfig.me does not work making it more difficult to see external ip, what i am driving here is there are many hoops to go thro to see if its wireless network problem, A Google not liking VPN some, a VPN client setting.
additionally in 5.5.2 & 5.5.5.3 you it does not seem to like manual ip set so much, and you cant specify 1.1.1.2 & 1.0.0.2 or any DNS it wont save, that means resolv.conf edited.

This is not a moan, i did that yesterday haha, Anyway i am going to update from 5.5 running great, connecting fast all good to 5.5.3

bean

Post by bean »

attempting updating from current 5.5 to 5.5.3 and i get

Easy File Downloader popup

Tested if remote file exists, but failed, see log top-left of screen. Do you want to test again, or give up?

two option click boxes with TEST AGAIN & GIVE UP

the log reveals ERROR: The certificate of 'distro.ibiblio.org' has'nt got a known issuer.

I can just install the 5.5.3 img via rufus 4.2 no problem but am wondering why this is, perhaps one cant upgrade from 5.5 to 5.5.3????????

bean

Post by bean »

re=installed 5.5.3 VPN issues unfortunately still flakey, anyway i post under Pets annd stuff asking if anyone would be so kind as to make a pet for me i have the latest run program

link to that post in case EasyOS folk dont read/see that post.

viewtopic.php?t=9646

Caramel

Post by Caramel »

bean wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:46 pm

Tested if remote file exists, but failed, see log top-left of screen. Do you want to test again, or give up?

the log reveals ERROR: The certificate of 'distro.ibiblio.org' has'nt got a known issuer.

I can just install the 5.5.3 img via rufus 4.2 no problem but am wondering why this is, perhaps one cant upgrade from 5.5 to 5.5.3????????

Maybe it's related to the problem with certificates that existed in 5.5 and 5.5.1 . See https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 215#p99215

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

bean wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:46 pm

If you download easy-5.5.3-amd64.img to /mnt/wkg, whatever way you can, then click the "update" icon, update will go ahead without having to download anything.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

szept wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:21 am

Ok, did that, but another issue remains for 5.5.2 as well as 5.5.3 - I have to run the internet wizard everytime to get onto the wired connection.

My testing of SNS has only been wifi. Didn't test Network Wizard at all.

Intend to do some ethernet testing in a day or two. Have to dust off the router with ethernet sockets.

Vverve

Post by Vverve »

upgrade .2 to 5.5.3 went fine .
hmm ,sfs do load ,maybe i miss checking my sfs of Muse sequencer(appimage) in 5.5.1+2+3 ,appimage is now not finding libp11-kit.so.0 !!?
ok found it in 5.4.10 ,is there a reason it had been removed?
Adding it did it with that appimage .

butiliero

Post by butiliero »

Not sure it can help having a clue with the SNS issues, but having EasyOS 5.5.3 in virtualbox, upon any boot it gets into a loop alternatively showing popups "Attempting to reconnect to a network..." and "Network interface 'eth0' has been activated". The loop eventually ends, but connection to the internet seems available all the time from the start.

butiliero

Post by butiliero »

BarryK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:33 am

Just a quick question:

However, if you have been updating for awhile, there are probably old files that you can delete.
Look in /mnt/wkg/sfs/easyos/oe/kirkstone, there are old SFSs that you probably don't need anymore.

Look in /mnt/wkg/containers and for each container look to see if there is a symlink to an SFS. if so, then you will need to keep that SFS file.

On my computer right now, I have a lot of old SFSs, but as the working-partition is 63GB, there is plenty of free space.

It would be really nice to have a "clean-up older snapshots/installations" option somewhere.

szept

Post by szept »

BarryK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:45 pm
szept wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:21 am

My testing of SNS has only been wifi. Didn't test Network Wizard at all.

Intend to do some ethernet testing in a day or two. Have to dust off the router with ethernet sockets.

I mainly use 2 PCs - one with wired internet and the other one with Wi-fi USB adapter. Up to Easy 5.4.10 both were connecting automatically (as well as other wifi laptops, but wifi in gereal seems to be easier on EasyOS than wired connections, which required some manual clicking). Yesterday I run EasyOS on my PC with wifi adapter and it didn't connect automatically as well as I couldn't connect via the Puppy Network Wizard, I had to switch back to Simple Network Wizard (which I changed to the other one, because this one couldn't connect onto the wired network). If I stay on my PC with wifi adapter and set the Simple Network Setup as default - it connects automatically next time, but when I go to the other PC, with wired internet, I have to manually switch to Puppy Network Wizard - this one won't connect automatically, I have to run the setup everytime (on every startup)... Any fix for that please?

Damian

Story in pictures:

sns_wired_log:
Information about this interface:
Interface: eth0 Driver: tg3 Bus: pci MacAddress: b8:ac:6f:97:2f:5a
Description: Broadcom Tigon3 ethernet driver

no such user dhcpcd
dhcpcd-9.4.1 starting
forked to background, child pid 8589
no such user dhcpcd
dhcpcd-9.4.1 starting
forked to background, child pid 8742

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Vverve wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:05 am

upgrade .2 to 5.5.3 went fine .
hmm ,sfs do load ,maybe i miss checking my sfs of Muse sequencer(appimage) in 5.5.1+2+3 ,appimage is now not finding libp11-kit.so.0 !!?
ok found it in 5.4.10 ,is there a reason it had been removed?
Adding it did it with that appimage .

p11-kit is a dependency of NetworkManager. I wasn't aware anything else needed it.

Then today Alfons informed me that OpenShot appimage needs it.

OK, I have added it back to the package list.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

butiliero wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:00 am
BarryK wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:33 am

Just a quick question:

It would be really nice to have a "clean-up older snapshots/installations" option somewhere.

That is supposed to happen automatically in the initrd when there is a version update, but the code needs work.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

@szept
You should not be running 5.5.2, version 5.5.3 has important bug fixes.

Note, to run the Internet Connection Wizard, right-click on the "net" icon.

I have just tested SNS ethernet, it works great.

Booted a pristine 5.5.3, ran SNS, chose the eth0 interface, got online no problem.

Rebooted, and SNS automatically reconnected, posting from it now.

I think it was Alfons who also reported SNS ethernet works.

You should not need to use Network Wizard unless there is a special requirement, such as no DHCP server.

Airdale

Post by Airdale »

There is something wrong with the devx for 5.5.3. It is only 164K.

bean

Post by bean »

BarryK wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:05 pm

You should not need to use Network Wizard unless there is a special requirement, such as no DHCP server.

Just some info as to why i am perhaps having VPN issues ie having of having to re-connect the VPN Client ie clicking on and off again it dishes out a new ip , I normally set the DNS & Static ip ie manually, this maybe be an issue????

Cant remember now some version or versions you could not manually set your DNS manually it was greyed out. I then edited resolv.conf my problem is once you have done all this possibly 5-6 times then on eg 5.5 5.5.1 5.5.2 .5.5.3 you cant remember.

Fwiw on Fossapup64 9.5 & 9.6 the VPN app starts automatically once booted

With EasyOS all versions to date the VPN App will not connect unless ( vpn-onoff-0.4.1-x86_64-fossa ) is installed and started

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Airdale wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:49 pm

There is something wrong with the devx for 5.5.3. It is only 164K.

Yes, see blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202309/devx-sfs-fixed.html

I'm currently working on Network Wizard, see blog:

https://bkhome.org/news/202309/network- ... fixes.html

...but not quite there yet.

Return to “EasyOS”