Google Earth Pro v7.3 cannot be run on FD64 900 Beta although it can be run on FD64 812 [CLOSED]

versatile 64-bit multi-user Linux distribution

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

tatemono

Google Earth Pro v7.3 cannot be run on FD64 900 Beta although it can be run on FD64 812 [CLOSED]

Post by tatemono »

"libproxy" is a prerequisite for running Google Earth Pro v7.3 on Fatdog.

After installing both Google Earth Pro v7.3 and libproxy 0.4.18 on FD64 812, I ran the former without encountering any problems.

Subsequently, I repeated the aforementioned installation procedure on FD64 900 Beta and attempted to launch Google Earth. However, I got an error message as follows:

Code: Select all

/opt/google/earth/pro/googleearth-bin: symbol lookup error: /opt/google/earth/pro/libQt5WebKit.so.5: undefined symbol: _gst_debug_min

Unfortunately, I am unsure how to resolve this problem. Could you please provide me with some advice?

[NOTE 1] Download page for Google Earth Pro (edited on the 13th August, 2023 (UTC) for correcting the URL) = https://www.google.com/earth/download/gep/agree.html
[NOTE 2] Download page for source code of libproxy = https://github.com/libproxy/libproxy/releases

Attachments
error_message.png
error_message.png (17.74 KiB) Viewed 805 times
Last edited by tatemono on Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
OscarTalks

Re: Google Earth Pro v7.3 cannot run on FD64 900 Beta although it can run on FD64 812

Post by OscarTalks »

This is just an educated(ish) guess and I could be wrong, but since "gst" is in the error message I wonder if it is worth looking for a possible mismatch involving gstreamer libraries? Are these to be found in system or within the pre-compiled package or both?

step

Re: Google Earth Pro v7.3 cannot run on FD64 900 Beta although it can run on FD64 812

Post by step »

tatemono wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:51 pm

/opt/google/earth/pro/googleearth-bin: symbol lookup error: /opt/google/earth/pro/libQt5WebKit.so.5: undefined symbol: _gst_debug_min

I think the message indicates that the libQt3WebKit.so.5 library that google earth pro comes with was built expecting a debug version of a gstreamer library to be installed in the system. Fatdog doesn't release debug versions of libraries. I would say this is a problem in google earth pro.

Unfortunately, I am unsure how to resolve this problem. Could you please provide me with some advice?
[NOTE 1] Download page for Google Earth Pro = https://earth.google.com/intl/earth/dow ... agree.html

I'm not sure either. I tried to download version 7.3.6 (64-bit deb file) from that page with vivaldi, seamonkey, firefox and google chrome but the downloaded never started. Besides, which version 7.3 doesn't work for you on 900? They have released 7.3.1, 7.3.2, 7.3.3, 7.3.4, and 7.3.6 but only an unspecified version for the download link.

[NOTE 2] Download page for source code of libproxy = https://github.com/libproxy/libproxy/releases

There already is a libproxy package (version 0.5.1) in Fatdog 900. You can install it with the Gslapt package manager.

step

Post by step »

tatemono wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:51 pm

I think the message indicates that the libQt3WebKit.so.5 library that google earth pro comes with was built expecting a debug version of a gstreamer library to be installed in the system. Fatdog doesn't release debug versions of libraries. I would say this is a problem in google earth pro.

[NOTE 1] Download page for Google Earth Pro = https://earth.google.com/intl/earth/dow ... agree.html

I'm not sure either. I tried to download version 7.3.6 (64-bit deb file) from that page with vivaldi, seamonkey, firefox and google chrome but the download never started. Besides, which version 7.3 doesn't work for you on 900? They have released 7.3.1, 7.3.2, 7.3.3, 7.3.4, and 7.3.6 but only an unspecified version for the download link. And which version worked for you on 812?

Something you could try is to find a way to tell google pro to run using the Qt5 system libraries that are installed in 900. I don't know how you could do that, or if it's even possible. Perhaps there is an environment variable specific to google earth pro that you can set for this purpose.

There already is a libproxy package (version 0.5.1) in Fatdog 900. You can install it with the Gslapt package manager.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Hm. Odd.

(Somewhat 'off-topic' here, I know, but.....anyways.)

I've just set-up an install of the trusty old favourite Tahrpup64, which is nearly 10 yrs old. Okay, I've 'upgraded' the glibc from 2.19 to 2.28 and used Xenialpup64's 4-series k4.9.58 kernel, it's true.....but having built/installed the official GPU drivers with shinobar's getNvidia, Google Earth Pro v7.3.6.9345 is running very sweetly indeed.

This is the most recent build, put together on the 29th December last year. There IS nothing newer, because all Google development is now going into the on-line PWA version of Google Earth.

I was expecting issues, given that most of the other stuff in Tahrpup64 is pretty ancient, but the thing is running amazingly well, all things considered.....

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

tatemono

Post by tatemono »

@step

[NOTE 1] Download page for Google Earth Pro = https://earth.google.com/intl/earth/download/ge/agree.html

I'm not sure either. I tried to download version 7.3.6 (64-bit deb file) from that page with vivaldi, seamonkey, firefox and google chrome but the download never started. Besides, which version 7.3 doesn't work for you on 900? They have released 7.3.1, 7.3.2, 7.3.3, 7.3.4, and 7.3.6 but only an unspecified version for the download link. And which version worked for you on 812?

The version of Google Earth Pro I downloaded is 7.3.6.9345 (64-bit deb format) and it was released on the 29th of December, 2022.
I am sorry that the URL written in [NOTE 1] was not good. Therefore it has been replaced with a good one (https://www.google.com/earth/download/gep/agree.html).

Something you could try is to find a way to tell google pro to run using the Qt5 system libraries that are installed in 900. I don't know how you could do that, or if it's even possible. Perhaps there is an environment variable specific to google earth pro that you can set for this purpose.

I downloaded https://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/9 ... 6_64-1.sfs and found that it has almost every libQt5* stored in /opt/google/earth/pro/ except libQt5WebKit.so.5 and libQt5WebKitWidgets.so.5. Once I loaded qt5-5.15.8-x86_64-1.sfs using load_sfs.sh, I navigated to /opt/google/earth/pro/ and deleted all libQt5* files except for libQt5WebKit.so.5 and libQt5WebKitWidgets.so.5. Finally, I ran Google Earth Pro from urxvt and got another error message as shown follows.

To summarize, it seems that using the Qt5 libraries in qt5-5.15.8-x86_64-1.sfs is promising to solve this problem. However, I do not know where to find out the missing libQt5WebKit.so.5 and libQt5WebKitWidgets.so.5 which are compatible with qt5-5.15.8-x86_64-1.sfs. If I had information about the original location of the Qt5 library files contained in qt5-5.15.8-x86_64-1.sfs, I would likely be able to locate the two missing library files.

jamesbond

Re: Google Earth Pro v7.3 cannot be run on FD64 900 Beta although it can be run on FD64 812

Post by jamesbond »

This will be fixed in Final.
(Or if you want to test right now, use gslapt to update gstreamer2 to 1.22.5).

mikewalsh

Re: Google Earth Pro v7.3 cannot be run on FD64 900 Beta although it can be run on FD64 812 [CLOSED]

Post by mikewalsh »

@tatemono :-

Y'know, you've completely lost me here.

Google Earth Pro contains every single item - over and above the standard, X-related display stuff that every distro will contain by default - that it needs to run. Including libQt5Webkit.so.5 AND libQt5WebkitWidgets.so.5. Why do you feel the need to mix and match different Qt5 components? It only ever ends one way.....

Qt4 was somewhat more forgiving about versions and backwards-compatibility than its offspring, but did insist on only one version to be found on the system at any given time. Qt5 is a LOT more fussy, because it will frequently insist on the specific version the app was built against, and won't be happy with anything else. It won't consider using a newer version in backward-compatibility mode at all...

As I said, it's running perfectly for me in a modified Tahrpup64, but then I don't have any other Qt5 packges loaded or installed on the system. I run plenty of apps that use Qt5, but invariably these are portable packages that have their own, self-contained versions of whatever dependencies they need.

Mike. ;)

tatemono

Re: Google Earth Pro v7.3 cannot be run on FD64 900 Beta although it can be run on FD64 812 [CLOSED]

Post by tatemono »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:25 am

Google Earth Pro contains every single item - over and above the standard, X-related display stuff that every distro will contain by default - that it needs to run. Including libQt5Webkit.so.5 AND libQt5WebkitWidgets.so.5. Why do you feel the need to mix and match different Qt5 components? It only ever ends one way.....

@mikewalsh
Actually, I did not intend to mix and match different Qt5 components. I was simply trying to follow the suggestion proposed by "step" to make Google Earth Pro use the Qt5 system libraries installed in FD64 900 Beta. After downloading qt5-5.15.8-x86_64-1.sfs and loading it, I found that it was missing libQt5WebKit.so.5 and libQt5WebKitWidgets.so.5. Then I went to /opt/google/earth/pro/ and removed the Qt5 library components that were already present in /opt/qt5/lib64/. Eventually, two Qt5 components still remained within /opt/google/earth/pro/: libQt5WebKit.so.5 and libQt5WebKitWidgets.so.5.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@tatemono :-

Ah, you're OK. Re-reading things further back up the page, I see what you were getting at. However, I admit I don't understand why @step would have made a suggestion like that. G.Earth Pro is built to be a completely self-contained standalone app, with all its own dependencies. It seems odd to then turn round and make the app use a completely different set of QT deps.....which in all likelihood it wasn't compiled against.

Just seems a strange suggestion to make, unless of course you also had other issues with it. IF that was the case, it was in all likelihood intended to "fix" something else.

I have noticed myself, with pre-built QT packages, that libqtWebkit and libQtWebkitWidgets are frequently missing. Seen this with both Qt4 AND Qt5. I would hazard a guess that these are not "default" items, so in all likelihood probably require specific steps at compile time to get them built & added-in..

I've had occasions when I, too, have needed to track these down separately, though I've got several dozen different Qt packages in my personal archives to look through. I'm something of a hoarder when it comes to software, because.....you just never know when something might come in useful!

(I admit, I don't spend very much time here in the FatDog forum, so of course I'm not familiar with any other on-going problems you might be having...)

Sorry if I'm throwing a "spanner in the works"..! :oops: :D

Mike. ;)

step

Post by step »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:51 pm

However, I admit I don't understand why @step would have made a suggestion like that.

I made a pointless suggestion. I'm glad jamesbond found the real culprit and that it's fixed for Final.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

step wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:51 am
mikewalsh wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:51 pm

However, I admit I don't understand why @step would have made a suggestion like that.

I made a pointless suggestion. I'm glad jamesbond found the real culprit and that it's fixed for Final.

No worries, buddy. We all do stuff like that from time to time. I'm NO different..... :oops: :D

Mike. ;)

molla2

Post by molla2 »

tatemono wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:38 pm

@mikewalsh
Actually, I did not intend to mix and match different Qt5 components. I was simply trying to follow the suggestion proposed by "step" to make Google Earth Pro use the Qt5 system libraries installed in FD64 900 Beta. After downloading qt5-5.15.8-x86_64-1.sfs and loading it, I found that it was missing libQt5WebKit.so.5 and libQt5WebKitWidgets.so.5. Then I went to /opt/google/earth/pro/ and removed the Qt5 library components that were already present in /opt/qt5/lib64/. Eventually, two Qt5 components still remained within /opt/google/earth/pro/: libQt5WebKit.so.5 and libQt5WebKitWidgets.so.5.

Why are certain Qt5, specifically libQt5WebKit.so.5 and libQt5WebKitWidgets.so.5, missing from the suggested setup for Google Earth Pro in FD64 900 Beta, resulting in the need to mix and match libraries?

tatemono

Post by tatemono »

molla2 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:47 pm
tatemono wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:38 pm

@mikewalsh

Why are certain Qt5, specifically libQt5WebKit.so.5 and libQt5WebKitWidgets.so.5, missing from the suggested setup for Google Earth Pro in FD64 900 Beta, resulting in the need to mix and match libraries?

@molla2
The issue described in the initial post in this thread occurs exclusively on a PC running FD64 900 Beta. The solution to this problem was proposed by "jamesbond." Please refer to the 7th post (https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 285#p96285) in this thread for details.

In short, this problem arises because of the original gstreamer2 package contained in FD64 900 Beta for some reason, not because of anything about Qt5. Therefore, please disregard all Qt5-related posts in this thread.

Return to “FatDog64”