YouTube and adblockers

Moderator: Forum moderators

pp4mnklinux

YouTube and adblockers

Post by pp4mnklinux »

English / Spanish post

This is what comes to us. Everything has a beginning, and this will bring consequences.

Virtually everyone agrees that advertising on YouTube is starting to get out of hand.
Currently, the platform tortures its users with a good amount of ads in each video, thus forcing many to try the YouTube Premium subscription service for ad removal and other additional features.

The solution that the vast majority of users choose is to install an ad blocker in the form of a browser extension.
However, we may not be so far away from the fact that the platform will also prevent us from enjoying its videos if we have adblock activated.
And it is that it has already begun to carry out tests to restrict the reproduction of videos for those users who have an ad blocker installed.

Do you think the same as me?

####### Spanish #######

Esto es lo que nos viene. Todo tiene un comienzo, un principio y esto traerá consecuencias.

Prácticamente todo el mundo está de acuerdo en que la publicidad en YouTube comienza a descontrolarse.
Actualmente la plataforma tortura a sus usuarios con una buena cantidad de anuncios en cada vídeo, forzando así a que muchos prueben el servicio de suscripción YouTube Premium para la eliminación de anuncios y otras características adicionales.

La solución a la que la gran mayoría de usuarios opta es la de instalar un bloqueador de anuncios en forma de extensión para navegadores.
Sin embargo, puede que no estemos tan lejos de que la plataforma también nos impida disfrutar de sus vídeos si tenemos adblock activado.
Y es que ya ha comenzado a hacer pruebas para restringir la reproducción de vídeos para aquellos usuarios que cuenten con un bloqueador de anuncios instalado.

Piensan igual que yo?

gychang

Re: YouTube and adblocks

Post by gychang »

This is what I use to disable ads, MochiMoppel's script is very effective. :thumbup2:

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?p=11388

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

amethyst

Re: YouTube and adblockers

Post by amethyst »

Not a problem, here are two alternative options which works:
1. Avoid the youtube site altogether and watch youtube videos via DuckDuckGo or Bing.
2. Use the youtube mobile site. You will have to change your browser's user agent for this. You can install a user agent switcher add-on. I find the mobile site quite cool. I like to read many comments whilst a video is playing. With the mobile site the comments section is apart from the video playing section which means you can scroll down the comments section but your video window stays put so you can see the video playing at all times.

gychang

Post by gychang »

amethyst wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:21 am

1. Avoid the youtube site altogether and watch youtube videos via DuckDuckGo or Bing.

How is it done in the DDG?

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

gychang wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:56 am
amethyst wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:21 am

How is it done in the DDG?

Change to DDG as search engine > search for youtube whatever > click the video tab > click the video you want to play > a new window will open with the player.

sucuklu yumurta

Post by sucuklu yumurta »

BullseyePup 9.1.0 Lite on Kingston SSD Frugal Acer Aspire One AO751h Netbook Intel Atom CPU Z520 1.33 GHz:1-1 core 2 GB + 2 GB Swap SSD. Sony 5200 mAh battery & Acer Aspire 3 A315-58-34HD 8 GB DDR4 4.10 GHz Intel Core i3-1115G4 CPU 2-4 128 GB SSD

FloraMae

Post by FloraMae »

This whole thing with YouTube trying to force adblockers off the platform has made ublock origin a lot better than it used to be. As long as there is a demand for an ad-free experience (no forced ads), there will be people willing to make it happen.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

So you want YouTube to have to shutdown, because it has no way to make any money to support it?

They have to pay for it somehow!

A lot of the time you only have to watch a little of the add, before it provides a skip option, that closes the add.

Providing free multimedia, has been using adds to pay for the service, for years.

Just like this forum, it takes money to keep it operating.
Why do you think there is a donation option on this forum?
Just so rockedge can sit back and watch the money role in?
Those donations, just payed for another year of the required money, to keep it available.
The server it is on is not free to use!

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

sonny

Post by sonny »

As an audience, I see ads as info.
Information has three flavors:
- good (useful)
- bad (useless)
- none of the above
I don't want to block the info.
I prefer to be selective.

Note: Last time I found a good deal from a YT ad

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

If there were no adds.

Then how would I know it is OK to go to the bathroom and not really miss anything I was watching? :D

Forum Global Moderator

FloraMae

Post by FloraMae »

The way I see ads is that I will never buy anything through an ad. It is a waste of resources to show me ads. Google is already making money off the data they have on me since data is a product now. As for supporting content creators, they usually offer alternative non-ad ways to support them. I can't remember for sure, but there are addons to allow blocking YouTube ads as a whole but allowing them on selected channels (to support those channels).

sonny

Post by sonny »

Personally, I never believe in 'never'.
What we don't know is far more than we know.
So when I see a good ad/info, I always respond, "Good to know."
And it's always better to help the economy than never, ain't it?

FloraMae

Post by FloraMae »

sonny wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:31 pm

Personally, I never believe in 'never'.
What we don't know is far more than we know.
So when I see a good ad/info, I always respond, "Good to know."
And it's always better to help the economy than never, ain't it?

Maybe for younger people, but I've been around a while. I first got into computing in the late 1990s and kind of set in my ways. I buy what I want to buy and my decision to buy something is not influenced by flashy ads or persuasion. It's why I don't use Windows. Not worth the price, so, Windows 10 was the last Windows I touched and hated it.

That being said, I do believe in supporting content creators. It can take a lot of time and effort to make content, but ads are not a way to get my support. In a way, ads ruined YouTube by making it so easy for content creators to get demonetized. I miss the days when you could just make videos and as long as it was legal, all was fine. I used to make content on YouTube until I got tired of all the false copyright flagging crap that took too much of my time and energy. Finally said screw it and stopped bothering.

sonny

Post by sonny »

@FloraMae you made me blush.
I wish I were younger...

FloraMae

Post by FloraMae »

sonny wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:32 pm

@FloraMae you made me blush.
I wish I were younger...

You and me both. All we can do concerning that is make good use of the time we have and try not to screw up any more than we have to lol

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

FloraMae wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:39 pm

The way I see ads is that I will never buy anything through an ad. It is a waste of resources to show me ads.

So, you never buy name brand items in a store or online? :shock:

You never look at the name brand item and think it is better than the no name item?

If you ever think the name brand item is better.
Than that add, you did not think told you anything useful, most likely, put that idea in you mind! :twisted: :lol:

A friend of mine worked for a Food producer on the packaging line.
He told me the same goo got put into all kinds of different name packages, not just their brand name.
Especially if it is a store brand package. :o

Forum Global Moderator

FloraMae

Post by FloraMae »

bigpup wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:12 pm
FloraMae wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:39 pm

The way I see ads is that I will never buy anything through an ad. It is a waste of resources to show me ads.

So, you never buy name brand items in a store or online? :shock:

You never look at the name brand item and think it is better than the no name item?

If you ever think the name brand item is better.
Than that add, you did not think told you anything useful, most likely, put that idea in you mind! :twisted: :lol:

A friend of mine worked for a Food producer on the packaging line.
He told me the same goo got put into all kinds of different name packages, not just their brand name.
Especially if it is a store brand package. :o

I think buying brand name is a waste of money. I will buy brand name but only if it is actually worth the expense compared to cheaper alternatives. I'm more of a "function over form" kind of person. I only buy things when I need them or want them. To give an idea, it has been about two years since I purchased any new clothing, and the clothing I purchased then was technically used from a thrift store because it was cheap and in good shape. My computer was made in 2010. I got it free. Someone was throwing it out because "it didn't work". It works fine. Why spend money on something if you don't need to? The less you spend, the less you have to work, and the more free time you have. Free time is very valuable to me.

Return to “Browsers”