KLV-Airedale-sr1 with Void Linux Kernel 6.1.31

Post by rockedge »

KLV-Airedale-sr1
Kennel Linux Void Airedale Stable Release 1 861 MiB download size
KLV-Airedale-sr1
SHA1-MD5.txt
Download from SOURCEFORGE

This is Stable Release version 1
with a complete system update/upgrade and outfitted with a Void Linux kernel 6.1.31 on 06/15/2023

Features full SAMBA support and managed by a modified for KLV Samba Simple Management GUI script, borrowed from F96-CE_4.

This version is equipped with 01fdrv_upup_22.04.sfs borrowed from KLU-jammy. The size of the file is larger than in version rc16 leading to the increase in size of the ISO.

The team fine tuned login/logout with a long term solution utilizing the Void Linux service manager runit to fix a conflict after upgrades to the runit-void package added a service directory agetty-tty1 that conflicts with KLV's custom agetty-autologin-tty1 during logout/login causing difficulty in changing user. Adding a file called : /etc/sv/agetty-tty1/down instructs runit to disable the service which is persistent across reboots.

The initrd.gz and w_init are upgraded to version 7.0.1-rc1 which are constructed from the latest FirstRib skeleton-initrd.

Added the symlink gtk2dialog that targets the binary gtkdialog-8.5 which is compiled against GTK2 which gives access to either gtk2 or gtk3.

@fredx181 has repaired a bug in save2flash and modified swapper.sh to adapt for the /mnt/home device showing directly in Thunar and on the desktop. swapper.sh activates any swap partitions available to KLV-Airedale during system start.

From a suggestion by @wiak added in a modification to w_init that will display icons for /mnt/home partition in Thunar and on the desktop.

New and improved tuning of the /boot directory boot stanza's. improving the reliability of booting in QEMU, Ventoy and S2SG.

Improved and rebuilt initrd.qz including expanded support for SD cards.

Routine system update/upgrade. And wallpapers from @Sofiya are included, replacing some of the stock xfce4 backgrounds.

@wiak has again done more work improving the boot system menus and further improvement to the initrd.gz boot mechanisms :

The iso config file boot/grub/menu.lst is used to boot from cdrom using that internal to ISO provided menu.lst (i.e. he currently uses grub4dos for that purpose).
The ISO config file boot/grub/loopback.cfg is used (per usual) to provide the boot menu for SG2D
The ISO config file boot/grub/grub.cfg is used by Ventoy (but included no Ventoy compatible entries until my alterations below)

I have made some modifications to all of the above (though have left previous entries in place for later experimentation and possible modification or deletion).
In particular I have provided the ability when booting via SG2D or Ventoy of using the FR modes:

a. RAM0 for session changes in RAM only (i.e. no save persistence)
b. RAM2 save on demand mode back to upper_changes folder (or ucimg savefile) in same directory iso is stored (or in subdirectory if symlink manually made to iso).
c. RAM2 save on demand mode back to upper_changes folder in, Clarity suggested, partition with LABEL 'Persistence' and directory 'Sessions'
d. Direct save (not in RAM) back to upper_changes folder (or ucimg savefile) in same directory iso is stored (or in subdirectory if symlink manually made to iso).
e. Direct save (not in RAM) back to upper_changes folder in, Clarity suggested, partition with LABEL 'Persistence' and directory 'Sessions'

No editing of the presented SG2D or Ventoy boot menus will be required to achieve these most useful FR initrd modes. User just needs to put the KLV iso in BOOTISOS (or wherever it is put usually) and boot...

starting of the pulseaudio system for any user that is logged in has been fixed and improved. Thanks wiak, Sofiya and fredx181 for the exact steps.

Upgraded to a new version of @fredx181 's save2flash, and set LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in /etc/environment as default localization.

Thanks to @Sofiya for the poorercputemp and Display Control packages that also have been added to desktop.

• Grub4Dos is now included in the System menu. Making KLV-Airedale capable of setting up a boot-able device using GParted and Grub4Dos.

• CUPS starting as a service has been added and is working thanks to @rcrsn51 spotting missing components!

This is constructed from KLV-Airedale-beta27->rc1->rc2->rc3->rc4->rc4.1 and is equipped with a Void Linux kernel version 6.0.12_1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC constructed with @wiak 's scripts that will extract the Void Linux kernel for KLV. Also has had a system wide upgrade. Uses an initrd.gz based on the FirstRib skeleton initrd.gz constructed by the kernel/module creation script. Firmware SFS is from a woof-CE kernel-kit built huge 6.0.0-1 kernel.

KLV-Airedale-rc16 is just as at home on FAT32, NTFS prtitions as it is running from ext2/3/4 formatted partitions.

Also included is wiak's generate a set of boot stanzas script. fredx181's mksplash has a menu entry and the remaster script is installed.

With the addition of a xfce4 desktop tiling configuration. A tip from wiak for configuring Tiling windows done with the Super (Windows) key and an up, down, left, right, home, pgup, pgdown or end key.

gxmessage in the default rootfs.

save2flash has been expanded to handle persistence on FAT32 and NTFS partitions.
The mksplash GUI utility to create splash notification banners.

The latest initrd.gz brings vFat and NTFS formatted partition support to KLV, allowing persistence on NTFS/vFat systems as well as the usual /ext2/ext3/ext4/swap support.

• included htop, Grub4Dos, CUPS

• created a symlink /root/spot with the target /home/spot

• Auto login cleaned up.

• includes also the logout logic provided by fredx181 gives true mulit-user support.

• replaced loop.cfg to the most recent modifications.

• Debian kernel 6.0.0-3-KLV SMP PREEMPT DYNAMIC is used.

• added gtkhash

Plus the other important improvements contributed by the KLV team.

Added @fredx181's save2flash utility that can be used when KLV is started in RAM2 mode to perform session saves on demand for persistence.
This is similar to PUPMODE13 in Puppy Linux.

fredx181's swap partition enable script includes the latest revisions and also added are the packages

• mime-add-1.0_0.noarch.xbps

• edit-sfs-1.0_0.noarch.xbps

KLV-Airedale-beta25 is able to load squash SFS packages on the fly or during the boot sequence.
Squash files and ISO images can be opened from the file manager and the read the contents.

• can run with rootfs, 01fimware and 00module SFS files as uncompressed directories.

• Also able to load compressed and/or decompressed directories,
    once a 2 digit prefix is added to the file name.

• It is possible to mix using compressed squash files and uncompressed directories.

Also can be downloaded from https://rockedge.org/kernels in ISO->Kennel_Linux->Airedale

geo_c

Re: KLV-Airedale-sr1 with Void Linux Kernel 6.1.31

Post by geo_c »

So it looks like apart from tty1 service directory, which I added to my RC13 installs, the main additions here are a new kernel, samba, and an fdrv.

Since I don't use samba, I'm wondering if I can simply switch kernels and possibly add the fdrv underneath my existing collection of upper_changes.

It might break things, but I can always try it on one of USB installs first.

What I'm really interested in now, is how to rename the current upper_changes without booting into another OS. I have some thoughts on it, but it seems like the most sound way would be to include something either in the shutdown routine or intit script, like renaming on shutdown, or rsyncing the current changes to a new directory and deleting the current one on shutdown.

All above my abilities at the moment though.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@geo_c You can just change a few files to swap in the newer kernel and firmware SFS.

open the sr1 ISO and copy the vmlinuz, the 00modules, 01fdrv and the initrd.gz with the wd_init tp your rc13 installation. Just rename the originals first :thumbup2:

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Short test for faults:
No Samba :shock:

After update:
after logging out of the session, you can not log in again, instead of entering a password, only the password: r
Breakage fix: go into the directory /etc/sv and DELETE both /etc/sv/agetty-tty1 and /etc/sv/no-agetty-tty1
reboot with save

Good news, now there is my driver for Wi-Fi ;)

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (341.52 KiB) Viewed 669 times

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sofiya I fixed the agetty1-tty that was created in the system upgrade using the same method by deleting it and repackaged the ISO.

I will look at the SAMBA issue.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sofiya Also fixed the SAMBA. Turns out I was using the wrong KLV rootfs SFS file.

So after system update/upgrade, freshly repacked, the rootfs SFS and newly created ISO is uploaded and now ready for download in all of the usual places :thumbup:

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

rockedge wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:32 pm

@Sofiya Also fixed the SAMBA. Turns out I was using the wrong KLV rootfs SFS file.

So after system update/upgrade, freshly repacked, the rootfs SFS and newly created ISO is uploaded and now ready for download in all of the usual places

Now everything is great! :thumbup2: ;)

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (285.24 KiB) Viewed 604 times

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

Return to “KLV-Airedale”