EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.5.1

Moderator: BarryK

Caramel

Re: EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.4.10

Post by Caramel »

BarryK wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:30 am

Strange, Easy 5.4.10 is built with the argon2 PET that I compiled in the Compaq Presario.

I wonder if you have an 'argon2' binary that is on top of the one in easy.sfs
Look at /mnt/wkg/.session/usr/bin to see if there is an 'argon2' there, and/or a .wh*argon2* whiteout file.
If so, delete it/them then immediately reboot.

No argon2 in the folder .session.

There are two different binaries in /usr/bin and /sbin

# md5sum /usr/bin/argon2
0f5cf31fb4a6d66c9e918d164fe0df72 /usr/bin/argon2
# md5sum /sbin/argon2
e3b479f26e89568608eb3e71b1a9b964 /sbin/argon2

As /usr/bin is before /sbin in my PATH, I replaced the argon2 in /usr/bin by the other.
No more "Illegal instruction" with "echo -n ${PW}xxxx | argon2 ${SALT} -l 32 -r"

Test of full access to the encrypted partition. Failure. Retry after reboot. Success

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Caramel,
Thanks for discovering the fix for argon2. I have implemented the fix:

https://bkhome.org/news/202308/argon2-i ... again.html

pamojja

Post by pamojja »

pamojja wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:58 pm

Jay, exchanging 'boot' with fslabel worked. Thanks so much for your perceptiveness, you saved my day.

Too bad, my day didn't last very long. Suddenly, EasyOs on the USB didn't boot again. Therefore, I repeated from within live EasyOS the copying of the ISO files to the drive again, but to my disappointment failed to copy the whole of some files this time, with lesser file-sizes than in the ISO. Therefore, I tried DDEasy ISO Image writer to install it this different way. limine.cfg path - this way installed - turned out correct, other than before with simple copy/paste. And the EasyOS install booted again.

However, while it did work with the previous copy-install method, this time I can't get persistence of settings with saving session and booting the last saved session. Tried already many times, Firefox already 3 times downloaded and installed, is always gone with the next boot. Also, settings choosen don't stick, and have to be entered with each boot.

Could there be a simple reason for my second different install, failing a second time?

Caramel

Post by Caramel »

pamojja wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:32 pm

Therefore, I tried DDEasy ISO Image writer to install it this different way. limine.cfg path - this way installed - turned out correct, other than before with simple copy/paste. And the EasyOS install booted again.

However, while it did work with the previous copy-install method, this time I can't get persistence of settings with saving session and booting the last saved session. Tried already many times, Firefox already 3 times downloaded and installed, is always gone with the next boot. Also, settings choosen don't stick, and have to be entered with each boot.

Could there be a simple reason for my second different install, failing a second time?

If I understand you have installed Easy on an USB key through the .img file. It's the better way for a key.

Did you use the Save icon? One of the options offered is automatic backup at shutdown.

pamojja

Post by pamojja »

Caramel wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:43 pm

If I understand you have installed Easy on an USB key through the .img file. It's the better way for a key.

Did you use the Save icon? One of the options offered is automatic backup at shutdown.

First install was by copy/paste from the image. For which to get it to work asked for help a few posts above. For which I had to edit limine.cfg manually, for making it booz. Until it didn't boot anymore. Before the save sesseion and select last saved session worked perfectly

Second install was with EasyDD Image-writter. Which did boot without editing the limine.cfg. But save session doesn't.

Edit: Just tried the copy/paste method with manually editing the limine.cfg, on a fresh USB stick again. And again it started to save sessions and installed firefox on the 3rd boot-up.

Caramel

Post by Caramel »

pamojja wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:32 pm

Too bad, my day didn't last very long. Suddenly, EasyOs on the USB didn't boot again. Therefore, I repeated from within live EasyOS the copying of the ISO files to the drive again, but to my disappointment failed to copy the whole of some files this time, with lesser file-sizes than in the ISO. Therefore, I tried DDEasy ISO Image writer to install it this different way. limine.cfg path - this way installed - turned out correct, other than before with simple copy/paste. And the EasyOS install booted again.

Your problems seem weird. It is possible that the usb stick is defective

pamojja

Post by pamojja »

Caramel wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:02 am

Your problems seem weird. It is possible that the usb stick is defective

Was also my suspicion, Therefore used a different stick this time.

pamojja wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:48 pm

... on a fresh USB stick again.

pamojja

Post by pamojja »

When one searches 'efi' in the EasyOS Pkg, one can see that efibootmgr-17-r3 is already installed. However, when typing 'efiboomgr' in the terminal the output is 'EFI variables are not supported on this system'. Is there a way to make EFI variables work in EasyOS?

Also Limine Bootloader Installer isn't simply not working, as I asumed without any experience. It does however finds OS installations on sd1/Windows partition only. In my case now with 2 efi grub entries of failed installations (Mageia and RoboLinux). Is there a way to find installation also on removeable drives? Or a different way, to find those and make bootable again?

This time I copied/pasted Easyos in the partition with the failin to boot RoboLinux installation. The problem with Robo seems to be, that its installer - despite directing it to the correct partitions on the USB - installed the grub bootloader in the windows partition instead, which now can't find the correct USB.

Would it be as an alternative be possible to just manually edit the limine.cfg, just as I had to do for the EasyOS copy/paste installation, for it to also give the choice to boot the also present RoboLinux?

madanadam

Post by madanadam »

First mount efi partition to /boot/efi then try again

pamojja

Post by pamojja »

Thanks for the quick answer. Huch, that was easy..

ndujoe2

Post by ndujoe2 »

TV Panel:

Is there a way to add, or delete the current channels displayed?

bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

@ndujoe2

go to root/noob directory ;)
or
viewtopic.php?t=689
:thumbup:

Flash

Post by Flash »

In case it's not generally known, EasyOS can mount, read from and write to exfat filesystems. Yesterday I bought a 1 TB Lexar SSD. When I plugged it into my computer's USB port, it showed up in EasyOS 5.4 as a 932.9 GB exfat filesystem. When I clicked on the icon, it appeared to mount, showing some things that came pre-installed in the drive. So I tried creating a new directory and it worked!

Chaos coordinator :?
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Just to let you guys know, the next release of EasyOS will have "usr-merge", see blog posts:

https://bkhome.org/news/202309/openembe ... piled.html

https://bkhome.org/news/202309/oe-and-w ... merge.html

It will probably be a good idea to bump the version to 5.5.

Oh, yes, there may also be a release built with Void Linux packages, but probably a bit later.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

5.5 Kirkstone-series is delayed, see blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202309/aborted- ... on-55.html

nnriyer

Post by nnriyer »

How to increase font size of menu entry in Limine Boot Loader. In my full HD monitor, the menu entry is too small. I am finding difficulty to read properly due to age factor.

Caramel

Post by Caramel »

nnriyer wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:30 am

How to increase font size of menu entry in Limine Boot Loader. In my full HD monitor, the menu entry is too small. I am finding difficulty to read properly due to age factor.

A simple way is to edit limine.cfg in the EFI partition (the first partition on the key if Easy is on a usb key) and replace INTERFACE_RESOLUTION=800x600 by INTERFACE_RESOLUTION=640x480.

I'm sure that the value 320x240 is also possible, but the font size is probably too big in this case. I didn't test other values

nnriyer

Post by nnriyer »

Caramel wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:50 am
nnriyer wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:30 am

A simple way is to edit limine.cfg in the EFI partition (the first partition on the key if Easy is on a usb key) and replace INTERFACE_RESOLUTION=800x600 by INTERFACE_RESOLUTION=640x480.

I'm sure that the value 320x240 is also possible, but the font size is probably too big in this case. I didn't test other values

Interface resolution added to limine.cfg and got big font while booting. Thank you.

wdt

Post by wdt »

For the longest time no puppy has been able to use my bluetooth mouse
3 different other distros, no problem
Maybe because a bt version mismatch?
(it would connect, then disconnect, repeatedly)
ANYWAY, I found the answer
hcitool lewladd <bt address> (low energy white list add)
just worked,, oddly, there are 25 items on white list, where is it, how to display?

Xyz2022

EasyOS Kirkstone 5.4.10 - Write Permission

Post by Xyz2022 »

Hi

Wanting to copy a directory from the System boot disk containing EASYOS to a SSD.

Using "blkid" command both disks have TYPE="ntfs". The boot disk containing source directory has EASYOS and the target disk has WINDOWS Os.

Error Message says "Read-only file system".

capture15408.png
capture15408.png (27.14 KiB) Viewed 1929 times

Please Guide.

Thanks

BarryK

Re: EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.5

Post by BarryK »

Version 5.5 has been released, see blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202309/easyos-k ... eased.html

I will take a break for a day or two, then continue work on "easyVoid", which is EasyOS built with Void Linux packages.

@Xyz2022
An ntfs filesystem will mount read-only as a fallback if unable to mount read-write. Why it should have failed to mount read-write is not an EasyOS-specific problem; you would have to search online for reasons why this can happen. Some people in this forum have experience about this and could advise.

You can check whether the partition has mounted read-only by:

Code: Select all

# mount

...and you will see "ro" or "rw"

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

A warning about updating to 5.5....

I had tested an update from 5.4.10 on a usb-stick, to 5.5, and no problem.

However, just now updated Easy 5.4.10 installed in my Lenovo PC, and got a crash when rebooted.
So I booted Easy on a usb-stick and examined the .session folder in the installation that had failed to boot:

circular-symlink.png
circular-symlink.png (25.75 KiB) Viewed 1827 times

Realized the cause of the problem. Posted earlier about creating a symlink /usr/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 to /lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 You can see it in the above photo.
But, after implementing usr-merge, that symlink is a link to itself. The actual /usr/lib/ld-linux-x8664.so.2 no longer exists -- or rather, it does, it is in easy.sfs but now hidden.

So, removed that symlink, rebooted and this time got a desktop, but some things broken. Hmmm...

Chose menu "Shutdown -> Rectify -> Reboot with rollback -> pristine first bootup"

...that gives a window with checkboxes to retain some things, such as browser history/bookmarks.

Everything OK now. But doing that have lost all installed packages.

If you have a installation that you don't want to risk messing up, you might want to consider not updating; instead install 5.5 as a fresh install. For me, it is not a problem, can reinstall the apps that previously had.

Anyway, perhaps the update will go smoothly for you, as it did on my usb-stick.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Running 5.5, installed the devs sfs, rebooted and got duplicate container icons on the desktop.

Posted to the blog about it, and a fix:

https://bkhome.org/news/202309/duplicat ... sktop.html

Ha ha, you are probably thinking it might be better to wait for 5.5.1!

nnriyer

Post by nnriyer »

As indicated in blog, I have corrected the duplicate container icons. One more thing I have noticed that Limine installer not found EasyOS version 5.5. Generated manually.

BarryK

Re: EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.5.1

Post by BarryK »

Have uploaded 5.5.1, to fix the duplicate icons.
There are likely still issues with updating, see above warning.
-- the problem I had was broken icons on the desktop, haven't figured out why.

Blog announcement:

https://bkhome.org/news/202309/easyos-k ... eased.html

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Another fix when updating from before 5.5.
When the .session folder gets converted to usr-merge folder hierarchy, there is the potential that circular-symlinks can get created. So have put some code to find and delete them.
See blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202309/fix-circ ... merge.html

Caramel

Post by Caramel »

wdt wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:04 am

For the longest time no puppy has been able to use my bluetooth mouse
3 different other distros, no problem
Maybe because a bt version mismatch?
(it would connect, then disconnect, repeatedly)
ANYWAY, I found the answer
hcitool lewladd <bt address> (low energy white list add)
just worked,, oddly, there are 25 items on white list, where is it, how to display?

25 is probably the maximum number of devices that can be stored in the white list
See the answer here : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/470 ... nt-working

For bluetooth, there are folders /etc/bluetooth and /var/lib/bluetooth

Vverve

Post by Vverve »

Tried updating from 5.4.10 to 5.5.1 , packages installed were retained ,most homebrew sfs loaded after reboot ,except from my chrome-latest patch from dunfell sfs (sfs warning no usr-merge, will not load..)
lost right-click menu options ,build-in chromium works. It's all i've tested , no fresh install try. Back to 5.4.10 for now ,its all there .Anything more i could look in log to help?

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Vverve wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:57 pm

Tried updating from 5.4.10 to 5.5.1 , packages installed were retained ,most homebrew sfs loaded after reboot ,except from my chrome-latest patch from dunfell sfs (sfs warning no usr-merge, will not load..)
lost right-click menu options ,build-in chromium works. It's all i've tested , no fresh install try. Back to 5.4.10 for now ,its all there .Anything more i could look in log to help?

That's interesting, I don't recall losing the right-click menu entries.
That can be fixed by open a terminal and run 'build-rox-sendto'

This morning I received an email from Alfons, he updated to 5.5.1 and reported everything OK.

Yes, any sfs that has non-usr-merge folders gets detected at bootup and rejected.

What about the desktop icons? Did they come through the update OK?

Files to check are /tmp/bootsysinit.log and /tmp/xerrors.log
...look for anything strange in them.

Vverve

Post by Vverve »

BarryK wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:59 pm

Files to check are /tmp/bootsysinit.log and /tmp/xerrors.log
...look for anything strange in them.

Almost post it...but checking them, they are the same i do have in 5.4.10 ,exception of chrome related ,i think simples warning .
Will have to test it again an take some notes .
Desktop was fine .
And do still have a few my tests of pipewire/wireplumber + olds pet installed like PackIt ,UExtract + i do edit my .session on the fly often just to save/delete a few things!!!

As updates were usualy almost flawless i did give it a shot !
I red your warning about non-usr-merge folders , but wont pretend i understand it all !!!
Will have to read some more about it !
I am not the Linux geek on whom you should rely on to know where the problem is, and I insist, even if you claimed to have a bug free operating system immune to beginner's mistakes,i'll break it somehow... :D

Return to “EasyOS”